Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Reus Systems (Reus Audio Southwest) in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
jdd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari 360 F1 spider/searching for right Mercedes
Thumbs up Reus Systems (Reus Audio Southwest) in Houston, TX

Just wanted everyone to know I was at the Houston Auto Show and Reus Systems of Orange County, CA had a booth. They had a Reus system in a SL550 demo that sounded unbelievable for an audio system! Even with a full house people were drawn to the Reus booth by the sound quality of the system. I would describe the sound as clear, detailed and full.

With all the background noise of the auto show the SL system cut through and sounded like a high-end home stereo. I even overheard someone say they heard the music has soon as they entered through the front door of the Reliant Center and decided to follow the music to find the "live band". They couldn't believe it was a just a car stereo.

I also found out they now have a branch in Houston called Reus Audio Southwest so they don't have to fly to Texas to install their audio system.

I've heard other people rave about Rick's systems, reusaudio.com, and now I know why. Can't wait to get my own system. Rick Reus told me they had specific systems for each model of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini etc and once its installed the car it looks completely stock. Rick obtained each model of MB and designed the audio system based on the interior acoustics while in a sound room. Years of R&D.

No cutting or modification of the car which IMO is extremely important. Since it is basically OEM it doesn't void the cars warranty. In fact, you can even purchase a Reus System through a Mercedes-Benz dealership when you purchase a new car.

I'm not sure which Mercedes-Benz dealerships are working with Reus Audio SW right now but you can probably contact Rick at reus@reusaudio.com or call 800-276-8865 or their marketing director in Houston, Grover at 281-300-7977 or email gheiskell@aol.com.

Has anyone else had a chance to hear Reus Systems or had it installed in your car? Maybe I should talk to Rick about giving me a discount since I gave his system such a positive testimonial.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
yeah I heard two before, the owners were just as dramatic as you when describing a mediocre audio system. Seriously you really need to get out more, go check a few custom audio shops in your area
Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I have a few Reus systems at the shop you can listen to also in Houston. There are very few people that can be as meticilous as Reus is. You can spend a lot more at custom shops and pull a few panels and you will see the hack job.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I agree there are a lot of hacks out there, but that is only because people like to be cheap. They shop for the cheapest product and the cheapest it is going to be installed....but fail to realize when something is broke, doesn't work, or is just thrown in... that they were being cheap in the beginning... or they are the first to complain that there $39 DVD player doesn't work all the time.

I will say that is the number 2 reason why it is, like it is today.

the number 1 reason is the manufacturers trying to manu the cheapest product over their competition. which is where it all began.

But all BS aside, the Rues system isn't all that, sound quality wise, at least the ones I heard. And for the money... never mind
Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 AM

2003 SL500
When I see a gushing testimonial, I tend to look at the poster's history on the forum. A long-time contributor with a track record of helpful postings carries a lot more weight than a posting from a newly-registered user.

As of this writing, the OP (who registered for the forum this week) has exactly two postings, the other one (in the R230 forum) an identical copy of this one.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by jbondox
But all BS aside, the Rues system isn't all that, sound quality wise, at least the ones I heard. And for the money... never mind

Oh cmon... Youre not being fair... The reus system does a very good job of being mediocre and overpriced at the same time.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by ToonArmy
When I see a gushing testimonial, I tend to look at the poster's history on the forum. A long-time contributor with a track record of helpful postings carries a lot more weight than a posting from a newly-registered user.

As of this writing, the OP (who registered for the forum this week) has exactly two postings, the other one (in the R230 forum) an identical copy of this one.

Its obviously a very objective review... but why stop there...

"As I entered the exhibit hall I thought I heard the heavenly voice of angels singing but as I made my way in I realized it was the reus system. Well apparently I wasnt the only one because when I turned around who did I see but... GOD! He thought the angels had returned to earth as well and was also suprised by the religious epiphany of autosound that was taking place right before his divine eyes. God immediately procliamed the reus system as the most perfect system in the history of man and as a result concluded that all of mankind was worthy of saving... no one would be left behind now and it was all thanks to the amzing reus system."
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by XJ9
Oh cmon... Youre not being fair... The reus system does a very good job of being mediocre and overpriced at the same time.
Damn it I was trying to be nice.. or somewhat political, it doesn't work though for me. But you are completely correct
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
jdd

Originally Posted by XJ9
Its obviously a very objective review... but why stop there...

"As I entered the exhibit hall I thought I heard the heavenly voice of angels singing but as I made my way in I realized it was the reus system. Well apparently I wasnt the only one because when I turned around who did I see but... GOD! He thought the angels had returned to earth as well and was also suprised by the religious epiphany of autosound that was taking place right before his divine eyes. God immediately procliamed the reus system as the most perfect system in the history of man and as a result concluded that all of mankind was worthy of saving... no one would be left behind now and it was all thanks to the amzing reus system."
When I joined the forum I didn't realize how judgmental and sarcastic some of the members could be to new members. I'm sure most of the members of this forum are respectful and gladly welcome new members.

In regards to stating that I provided a "very objective review" you were incorrect in using the word "objective". You should have used the word "subjective" because the sound quality of the Reus system is based on my personal feeling or opinion.

It doesn't bother me that some members disagree with my opinion because all car audio preferences are subjective.

Before I wrote my thread I did extensive research to find out what other people in various car forums thought about Reus Systems. I found multiple positive reviews. If a car audio business can stay in business for over 30 years they must be doing something right.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
jdd

Originally Posted by ToonArmy

Sorry about the duplicate post in the R230 forum. After I posted the thread I found the Audio & Electronic forum and felt this was more appropriate for this topic. So instead of retyping it I used the copy and paste feature.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
did you want us to send the welcome wagon next time? maybe some flowers? i used to read this forum 3 years before I made my first post. Let me guess your Bose home theater system is the best you heard... oh wait your Bose clock radio... yada yada yada

BTW welcome to the forum...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by jdd
When I joined the forum I didn't realize how judgmental and sarcastic some of the members could be to new members. I'm sure most of the members of this forum are respectful and gladly welcome new members.

In regards to stating that I provided a "very objective review" you were incorrect in using the word "objective". You should have used the word "subjective" because the sound quality of the Reus system is based on my personal feeling or opinion.

It doesn't bother me that some members disagree with my opinion because all car audio preferences are subjective.

Before I wrote my thread I did extensive research to find out what other people in various car forums thought about Reus Systems. I found multiple positive reviews. If a car audio business can stay in business for over 30 years they must be doing something right.
oh come now.. you're absolutely welcome here but that does not mean that Im not going to take you to task on your statement... I have heard the reus systems in two different mercedes autos, are they better than stock, sure... are they the best thing out there, not by a long shot and it is certainly not worth the price they are asking. There are a number of shops nationwide that are building systems that put the reus to shame, hence why I described it as mediocre.

Yes, it has been said that audio preference is subjective, which is exactly why you see so many owners of reus systems giving positive reviews; a glowing review is the only way to justify having vastly overpaid for the system. Like jbondox said, if you think the reus system sounds great then you really need to get out more because there are some systems out there that will really blow you away...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by jdd
I'll add my welcome to the forum. Read it a bit - you'll find it incredibly helpful. We hope that as you get your questions answered and become more knowledgeable about the areas of your interest, you'll also begin to answer questions asked by others.

However, many contributors are sarcastic to everyone over opinions. New members may get a little slack for some of the typical newbie errors (failing to complete a profile so we have no idea of the model, year, or specification for their car; failing to use the search tool to find the answer to a question that has been answered 200 times; sending a PM or e-mail to another member to ask a question before seeking help or even searching on the open forum; posting in the wrong forum, posting multiple times so the responses become disconnected).

Beyond that, like most public forums, it is a marketplace of ideas. If folks don't like your ideas, they're going to say so. You don't have to like theirs either, and you can say so. But before you do, it's always a good idea to check the experience of the person you're responding to.

Recently I have seen two members become rather petulant (in separate posts) about not getting responses fast enough to suit them, and then criticize the forum in general and in one case, the person who gave them a brief (but entirely correct) answer - just not the one they wanted to hear. The new guy then lectured the forum and the specific responder about non-cooperation, laziness, and their general views on the reason the forum exists. The person who had responded to the question was a heavy and valuable contributor with experience in the area he was talking about. The lecturer was a brand new guy who had contributed absolutely nothing to the forum, and frankly, asked a stupid question and did absolutely no reading or research before asking it. Not really what one wants to do if they want help in the future.

I don't mean that you are in the category of people I described. But they were newbies, and they got some well-deserved (in my opinion) rough treatment. So yes, new guys will get some slack in some areas. But not in all.

Soon enough, you'll learn to identify the folks who are truly expert in what they write about. Some just simply have been through that specific experience recently, and can pass on what they learned. Others earn their living in the very topic for which they answered, and are highly expert. Others are 14 year old wannabes, seeking a high post count, completely lacking credibility. It doesn't take long to discern what's what.

And if you want to see some rough treatment, drop in on the "Off Topic" forum. As one administrator commented recently, when you visit it, wear your cup.

Regarding your question on Reus, I don't know enough about the system to answer. However, I do know enough about human hearing to say that human hearing is itself subjective. The statistics on an audio system just don't matter nearly as much as determining subjectively what sounds good to your own ears, by listening to it yourself. Once you have, it just makes no sense to pay more for something that someone tells you is "better" when you cannot hear the difference. And even if you can tell that a more expensive system is better, you have to make your own determination whether the increase in performance justifies the price differential or other compromises you may have to make.

The person who is blessed with educated, audiophile ears, and who has a big enough wallet, will make a different decision than you or I might. I just feel sorry for the audiophile who does not have the big wallet.

When someone warns you that a system is overpriced for its performance, it's a warning - but not a final judgement on the issue. jbondox has a bit of a sense of humor, likes to give a good tug on one's leg. But he has been very helpful to folks on specific audio issues - he's one of the guys who makes his living at it. I agree with a recommendation he gave me a while ago to improve and tighten bass response in my S500's Bose system (but it isn't made for my car yet). I don't want to spend the money or give up the trunk space for some of the other alternatives (i.e., make those particular compromises). I'll wait for the right system, which is likely the one he recommended - when it comes out.

And I disagree with his assessment of a Bose system for the home (mine is a Lifestyle 48, not an "alarm clock"). Certainly there are better systems. But I don't want to pay for them or give up the floor or wall space; having listened to some, I was not impressed enough by the delta in performance to pay the delta in price. For the money I spent, the Bose does well in its particular environment. As i said - it's subjective. jbondox won't agree with my assessment - he doesn't have to, and he's not a bad guy because he will disagree.

He may even enter some acerbic remarks about my choice (he already has) - to which i would enjoy responding. Except I've probably already put him to sleep.

By the way - I suggest that you take Sunil up on his offer. That guy is a tremendous expert on MB systems and retrofits, and having a resource like him available and close is extraordinarily fortunate for you. I don't know how his "ear" is - but he sure knows his Benzes.

And although he didn't chime in here - if you catch some of the posts by rob13572468 (who jousts with jbondox occasionally) - give him a close read. You'll learn a lot. And believe me, there is an even longer list of great contributors.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-30-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Skylaw
And I disagree with his assessment of a Bose system for the home (mine is a Lifestyle 48, not an "alarm clock"). Certainly there are better systems. But I don't want to pay for them or give up the floor or wall space; having listened to some, I was not impressed enough by the delta in performance to pay the delta in price. For the money I spent, the Bose does well in its particular environment. As i said - it's subjective. jbondox won't agree with my assessment - he doesn't have to, and he's not a bad guy because he will disagree.

He may even enter some acerbic remarks about my choice (he already has) - to which i would enjoy responding. Except I've probably already put him to sleep.
Since boondoggle is asleep I'll do it for him; BOSE BLOWS. Better sound through marketing doesn't cut it. You can do better for less money.

<duckundrennwegschnell>
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Since boondoggle is asleep I'll do it for him; BOSE BLOWS. Better sound through marketing doesn't cut it. You can do better for less money.

<duckundrennwegschnell>
Hee, hee - I'm sure he appreciates it. But not for my money, or for my ears (do you have any idea what my hearing profile is?). Or what I paid? (in fact, I got excellent deals on both my initial system purchase and the upgrade I did later) - as I said - it's subjective.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-30-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
LOL,

Bose is a great marketing company. I have B&W, at home, actually the only thing i have left is the sub, I got rid of most of everything else from it since I am going to rebuild the basement. Long story short i will be doing some in walls from B&W.

Bose is just easy access, everyone has it, and it is always the same price.

I was just messing when i made my statement about Bose... though I could comment forever on it... I will say it sounds better than speakers that come with an LCD big screen
Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL,

Bose is a great marketing company. I have B&W, at home, actually the only thing i have left is the sub, I got rid of most of everything else from it since I am going to rebuild the basement. Long story short i will be doing some in walls from B&W.

Bose is just easy access, everyone has it, and it is always the same price.

I was just messing when i made my statement about Bose... though I could comment forever on it... I will say it sounds better than speakers that come with an LCD big screen
Well, by golly, a lukewarm endorsement of Bose is the best I've ever heard from you, jbondox. You've come a long way!!

Bose does a lot to control its prices and avoid discounts but I must say, once in a while they do a lot for military folks. I paid only 60% of list for mine when I bought it new.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I probably would stack a HSU package (link) against those lifestyle speakers and come out way ahead in price and performance. That is after your military discount. And for the savings a nice receiver and DVD player.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
jdd

Originally Posted by Skylaw
I'll add my welcome to the forum. Read it a bit - you'll find it incredibly helpful. We hope that as you get your questions answered and become more knowledgeable about the areas of your interest, you'll also begin to answer questions asked by others.

However, many contributors are sarcastic to everyone over opinions.
Skylaw thank you for your welcome and the update on the forum newbie initiation. I must admit it caught me off guard but I'll try not to be so sensitive next time. Your right about Sunil's qualifications with MBZ. Sunil's reputation has made it all the way to Oklahoma.

In regards to jbondox statement about a "welcome wagon" I think that would be great but I wouldn't care for any flowers.

I agree with jbondox in regards to the sound quality of a Bose system, but it all depends on your budget and sound preference.

XJ9 I didn't expect you to accept my opinion as gospel, but your honesty is appreciated. What do you consider high priced for a car audio system? I think the price for an entry level Reus system for MBZ is around $2000 which sounds reasonable for a system that maintains the stock appearance of a car. Last year I purchased a Alpine head unit for around $1100 and if you add the price of amplifiers, upgrade speakers, subwoofer and enclosure the price is well over $2000. Plus you have to hope it is installed properly.

Overall I think I've addressed everyone that has welcomed me. I look forward to learning all I can from the experts on the forum. Again thank you for everyones candid opinions.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I would love to open up a bose store only... with the way they sell, all the advertising is done for you... plus people thinking that bose is a sound quality reference for a vehicle... damn i would be rich by the end of the year.

Military discounts are awesome, I used to get a lot of stuff from the Navy Exchange so damn cheap it was silly. And the ones overseas are even better, i was buying Lladro's for my mom for $20, while they were $250 over here... though i would tell her they were 4100... and that left me $80 for beer and a lady...

Anyways i won't argue with the bose, it isn't sound quality, it is just presence, while watching a dvd. And sadly enough probably sounds better than some of theaters, at least where i am at... we have quite a few and are supposed to sound good but some one forgot to tune them from one movie to another I swear that is the problem

Anyways...

where were we...

oh yeah welcome, and boo on Rues
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Umm...what planet have you been on??? No, seriously. I am on my fourth Reus stereo since 2003 and I can say with 1000% certainty you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. In fact I haven't posted on this forum for over two years but I had to take a moment to say something when I saw your post in this thread.

First my background: I have been a diehard audiophile my entire life, but I used to compete in car audio competitions dating all the way back to 1993.

While I appreciate well placed bass, I value clarity and musicality above all else. I listen to everything from Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Guns N Roses, She Wants Revenge, Lorena McKennett, Justin Timberlake, The Doors, Depeche Mode, and Marilyn Manson to Danny Elfman so my stereos have to cover the ENTIRE musical spectrum.

That said, I have ran every type of speaker you can imagine from MB Quart, Boston Acoustic Pros, JL's, Fosgates, the list goes on and on. I have run Amps powered by Sony, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Precision Power and McIntosh. And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt there is not a single system I have EVER heard utilizing this equipment that can hold a remote candle to one of Rick's systems. I have seen installs done by some of the best in the business and Rick's top them all.

For me personally, the idea isn't to be as over the top as possible with an install, but rather to be as discreet as possible when installing a stereo so as to not ruin the integrity of the car. However, if you want flashy they can do that as well. My preference is always understated. I want people to sit in the car and get immersed in the sound all while saying "where the hell is all this coming from?" I'm not a big fan of a ton of plexi glass with suspended subs and neon lighting. I want the car to look as close to stock as it can.

My CLS was in Rick's booth at the 2006 LA Auto Show. My other systems done by Reus include a 2003 E-Class, 2006 Range Rover Sport and my latest and most prized Reus audio system - a 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Sportshift coupe.

First of all, my e-class, CLS, Range and Aston were the first ones of each car that Reus had ever done an install on. The reason I point this out is that each of the installs was meticulously perfect even though I always volunteer to be the "guinea pig" since I tend to get my cars first when they come out.

The CLS and E Class were both masterpieces - even though anyone who has worked on a CLS knows it has the absolute worst car audio acoustics of any car ever made, Reus built it to perfection.

The Range Rover Sport. When looking at it you would never know a huge system was installed in it. No loss of cargo space, no visible modifications. Anyone who has done of these cars is also aware that working with the front soundstage is a pain simply because the car is so wide. Reus dialed it in to where you would swear Placebo, 50 Cent, Norah Jones, Leonard Cohen or whoever else you want to throw at the stereo were singing one on one for you right in front of your seat.

And lastly my Aston Martin. I invite anyone on this forum to go to an Aston Martin dealership and listen to a 2008 Vantage with the Premium audio system by Alpine. It will blow your mind stock - in fact you have never heard a stock system remotely as good as it in ANY car and I will 100% guarantee that.

Here's a link for reference: http://www.carpages.co.uk/aston_mart...e-30-05-06.asp

The stock system was a powerhouse and played pretty darn clear up until you cranked it. Even then it held its own but the vocals and instrumentals got "jumbled" and a hair hissy (in true Alpine fashion). I took Reus's creation to the Aston dealership after we dialed it in (they all thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to change it a bit) and the sales person was floored - as in speechless. No distortion, "jumbling" or lost of clarity at any volume. So clear you could pick up errors in the actual musicians recordings. Hotel California off their live album picked up every guitar chord as if it was being played in the studio for you. The Aston dealer commented that the rear trunk area where we added the 10's looked so clean and discreet that it actually looked better to him than a stock Vantage.

Rick's clientele includes everyday people as well as a who’s who of recording artists, producers, music lawyers and executives and some of the most discerning audiophiles you have ever met. My friends and I often comment that having a Reus system is like being part of a very special fraternity. Oh, and guess how I found Rick. I was at the LA Auto Show in 2003 and was drawn to the sound coming from his booth from the entrance. Same as the guy who started this thread.

So if anyone else would like to dispute the quality of a Reus system I invite all takers. I am more than happy to meet up at Rick's shop in Orange County if anyone wants to hear what one sounds like.

I hope this thread is helpful to people here on this forum. The reason I am as passionate about Rick and his company is because they are that passionate about every car they work on, and that’s really rare nowadays.

Last edited by john87699; 02-19-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:11 AM
jdd

Originally Posted by john87699
Umm...what planet have you been on??? No, seriously. I am on my fourth Reus stereo since 2003 and I can say with 1000% certainty you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. In fact I haven't posted on this forum for over two years but I had to take a moment to say something when I saw your post in this thread.

So if anyone else would like to dispute the quality of a Reus system I invite all takers. I am more than happy to meet up at Rick's shop in Orange County if anyone wants to hear what one sounds like.
As you know John87699 I was lambasted when I started this thread. I'm glad that someone who has a similar opinion spoke up!! What I find amazing is the sound quality and clarity of the music even with the gain set at 10.

I have a Reus audio system in my Ferrari 360 Spider and the sound quality is great. Recently a friend committed that what he thought was extraordinary was that even with the top down compounded with wind and motor noise he was able to hear every detail of the music including the drumstick rhythm on the high hat without a hint of distortion.

Before purchasing the audio system for my Ferrari I conducted extensive internet and car forum research regarding Reus Systems and found 99.9% positive reviews except for one that I would like to discuss. Thats pretty good for over 30 yrs. in business. You can't please everyone.

It appears that the majority of negative reviews on MBWorld.org all stem from a thread initiated by a disgruntled customer. After reading the thread my understanding is that three car owners requested a group discount if they all purchased systems at the same time. Instead of saying "no" it appears Rick Reus agreed to give them a discount based on purchasing three systems. After two of the customers had their systems installed the third customer decided to back out and wanted a full refund.

This was after Reus systems had already installed two systems at a discounted price and most likely had already built the system for the third car. The fair resolution from a business standpoint IMO was since one of the customers dropped out the agreement was void and the two that already received the discount would have to pay full price or find someone else that wanted a system.

Based on the thread it appears that even though someone dropped out the other two customers received the same discount they had agreed on. Here is where the issues starts. The third customer wanted his money back even though he had already agreed to have a system installed. From my experience with Reus Systems as soon as they receive the money they use the money to build the system specific for that car.

Wanting your money back after agreeing to have the system installed at a discount would be like commissioning some type of art work and then when the majority of work is complete you decide you don't want it. Does that sound fair to Reus Systems?

After loosing money on the (2) discounted systems and the labor as well as parts to build the system for the third customers car Reus agrees to refund 100% of their money. Which is more generous than a majority of business and it shows just how fair Reus System is to their customers. Reus Systems should have ask the other 2 customers to pay their normal price and charged the third customer a fee for the labor spent building the system.

The third customer got extremely upset when it took several months to get his refund. When the customer did get the full refund ($2500) the check bounced. I ask Rick about this since I saw this thread before purchasing a audio system and he said there was some issues with deposits from other customers or computer problems I can't remember exactly what but this is something that has happened to everyone at one time or another. Rick apologized and drafted another check and the person eventually received the full refund.

The customer was so mad about how long it took him to receive his refund that he forgot that it was him that broke the agreement that resulted in Reus Systems losing a significant amount of money. IMO it was extremely generous for Reus Systems to give someone that didn't honor their agreement a full refund.

Because of the third customers anger (after receiving the full refund) they composed derogatory threads bashing Reus Systems. Thus stimulating some negative reviews. On the other hand, wouldn't it be fair for Reus Systems to start a thread saying that other business shouldn't do business with this customer since he is not a man of his word and that he breaks agreements. But this is definitely not ethical and in fact it is nobody else's business.

Hopefully this clears up some of the inappropriate negative press Reus Systems has received from this incident. Because of how this one individual reacted to this situation I wouldn't blame Reus Systems if they never participated in this type of group discount again. It's unfortunate when one person ruins it for everyone else.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
John, Sorry but you aren't the only self appointed audiophile. Do you believe that just because this is an MB forum people don't know anything about audio? I have sold, installed, or used every brand you mentioned at one time or another, I used to build SQ vehicles for all sorts of people, and stealth installs the past few years have been huge, and are the most complicated to build if you are keeping a factory look.

If I was on your coast I would be over. Reus is just blah... seemed they got it for a flat response and didn't take into consideration road noise or top down driving. I know flat has been what everyone thinks is the norm and easy to make happen on a RTA, but to make it sound really good is a different story. Plus when I did hear the Reus system, the midbass was begging for mercy as it was bottoming out...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by jdd
As you know John87699 I was lambasted when I started this thread. I'm glad that someone who has a similar opinion spoke up!! What I find amazing is the sound quality and clarity of the music even with the gain set at 10.

I have a Reus audio system in my Ferrari 360 Spider and the sound quality is great. Recently a friend committed that what he thought was extraordinary was that even with the top down compounded with wind and motor noise he was able to hear every detail of the music including the drumstick rhythm on the high hat without a hint of distortion.

Before purchasing the audio system for my Ferrari I conducted extensive internet and car forum research regarding Reus Systems and found 99.9% positive reviews except for one that I would like to discuss. Thats pretty good for over 30 yrs. in business. You can't please everyone.

It appears that the majority of negative reviews on MBWorld.org all stem from a thread initiated by a disgruntled customer. After reading the thread my understanding is that three car owners requested a group discount if they all purchased systems at the same time. Instead of saying "no" it appears Rick Reus agreed to give them a discount based on purchasing three systems. After two of the customers had their systems installed the third customer decided to back out and wanted a full refund.

This was after Reus systems had already installed two systems at a discounted price and most likely had already built the system for the third car. The fair resolution from a business standpoint IMO was since one of the customers dropped out the agreement was void and the two that already received the discount would have to pay full price or find someone else that wanted a system.

Based on the thread it appears that even though someone dropped out the other two customers received the same discount they had agreed on. Here is where the issues starts. The third customer wanted his money back even though he had already agreed to have a system installed. From my experience with Reus Systems as soon as they receive the money they use the money to build the system specific for that car.

Wanting your money back after agreeing to have the system installed at a discount would be like commissioning some type of art work and then when the majority of work is complete you decide you don't want it. Does that sound fair to Reus Systems?

After loosing money on the (2) discounted systems and the labor as well as parts to build the system for the third customers car Reus agrees to refund 100% of their money. Which is more generous than a majority of business and it shows just how fair Reus System is to their customers. Reus Systems should have ask the other 2 customers to pay their normal price and charged the third customer a fee for the labor spent building the system.

The third customer got extremely upset when it took several months to get his refund. When the customer did get the full refund ($2500) the check bounced. I ask Rick about this since I saw this thread before purchasing a audio system and he said there was some issues with deposits from other customers or computer problems I can't remember exactly what but this is something that has happened to everyone at one time or another. Rick apologized and drafted another check and the person eventually received the full refund.

The customer was so mad about how long it took him to receive his refund that he forgot that it was him that broke the agreement that resulted in Reus Systems losing a significant amount of money. IMO it was extremely generous for Reus Systems to give someone that didn't honor their agreement a full refund.

Because of the third customers anger (after receiving the full refund) they composed derogatory threads bashing Reus Systems. Thus stimulating some negative reviews. On the other hand, wouldn't it be fair for Reus Systems to start a thread saying that other business shouldn't do business with this customer since he is not a man of his word and that he breaks agreements. But this is definitely not ethical and in fact it is nobody else's business.

Hopefully this clears up some of the inappropriate negative press Reus Systems has received from this incident. Because of how this one individual reacted to this situation I wouldn't blame Reus Systems if they never participated in this type of group discount again. It's unfortunate when one person ruins it for everyone else.

Come on,

First discount nothing, your rent or utilities aren't, so why bother. And this is every day occurances with audio shops out there. cheap **** customers wanting everything for nothing. And 42500 isn't a lot for a custom system, and having money issues with is just bad business. Times are hard, and for him to stick with it that is great on his part, i wish him huge success but to be honest it isn't all that great sounding as you described it in the original post

Cheap **** internet customers with high dollar cars is not what a shop needs... any shop. Ask yourself this, are you worth every penny that you get paid for at work? 99% of you will all say you are over worked and under paid! now go buy something without haggling... I also find it hysterical that you have the S-Class section worried if they are getting a good deal buying a vehicle... Some people... sorry rant, it is early and I have to get back to building a website

Peace!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 AM

John, Sorry but you aren't the only self appointed audiophile. Do you believe that just because this is an MB forum people don't know anything about audio? I have sold, installed, or used every brand you mentioned at one time or another, I used to build SQ vehicles for all sorts of people, and stealth installs the past few years have been huge, and are the most complicated to build if you are keeping a factory look.

If I was on your coast I would be over. Reus is just blah... seemed they got it for a flat response and didn't take into consideration road noise or top down driving. I know flat has been what everyone thinks is the norm and easy to make happen on a RTA, but to make it sound really good is a different story. Plus when I did hear the Reus system, the midbass was begging for mercy as it was bottoming out...
Anytime you are out here I would be happy to meet up. I'm not going to say that the Reus Stereo you heard was perfect because I have no idea what you heard, but I will say that one of Rick's systems dialed in properly is untouchable. Oh, and I have never had a problem in any of the stereo's Reus has worked with me on with the mid-bass begging for mercy let alone bottoming out. In fact, I can't push it hard enough to where it does which is one of the things I have always loved about them. But everyone is entitled to an opinion. Like I said the invitation is open anytime.

You can say "Reus is just blah" and that's okay, but there is a reason why so many dealerships in so cal recommend Reus and I can assure you it isn't because they build an inferior product.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Reus Systems (Reus Audio Southwest) in Houston, TX