Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320 wagon (210 chassis NOT a 211))
upgrade for 2002 w210 w/ no phone

Okay, so I contacted Keith Valentine via email.

Based on this thread, I thought that all I would need to install an oem BT solution for my 2002 w210 wagon which never had a phone was
1) PSE
2) Cradle eliminator cable
3) v60 BT "puck"

Keith Valentine said I would also need

4) PSE harness
5) fiber optic cable

I thought all post-face-lift (2000 my and later) w210 e-class cars were already wired for the phone system, so I don't see why I need a fiber optic cable. I have no idea what the "PSE harness" is or why I need it.

Any clarification from the experts here?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Did you look at the phone bulletin for your car, referenced in the first series of posts in this string?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Did you look at the phone bulletin for your car, referenced in the first series of posts in this string?
Yes, I've read through the whole thing. I don't see any mention in the instructions of routing a new fiber optic cable. Although the parts list at the very end includes:

D2B optical cable
Q 682 0466

and

Cable, PSE module/linear compensator
Q 682 0468

Again, no mention of either of those in the actual installation instructions.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunately, since all of my hands--on installation experience is with W220s, I can't help you much on the wire harnesses, other than what is shown in the phone bulletin.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 PM

The second cable is used to connect the linear compensator to the PSE - it's a short cable, and you won't need it (Bluetooth bypasses the linear compensator; you don't need that either).
I don't know what the first cable is.
This is what I thought, based on reading the bulletin. The harness/cable seems unnecessary if I don't have a Linear Compensator, which I don't / won't need.

But this guy Keith Valentine, who seems to know his stuff, says I need it.

I would think the DB25 connector would plug straight into the PSE. Keith said, "PSE harness attaches the PSE to main harness."

EDIT: oops, I guess you deleted that post. I took a long time between typing my reply and pressing "submit" sorry !

Last edited by Kieran28; 10-09-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kieran28
This is what I thought, based on reading the bulletin. The harness/cable seems unnecessary if I don't have a Linear Compensator, which I don't / won't need.

But this guy Keith Valentine, who seems to know his stuff, says I need it.

I would think the DB25 connector would plug straight into the PSE. Keith said, "PSE harness attaches the PSE to main harness."

EDIT: oops, I guess you deleted that post. I took a long time between typing my reply and pressing "submit" sorry !
I deleted the post because I found that I had made an assumption about which fiber optic part number was for what - and I did not want to mislead you.

Your car should have the major fiber optics and copper wire harnesses in place. As I recall from my car, there was no fiber optic connection at all between the linear compensator (that you don't need) and the PSE; they were copper wire. However, there may be short fiber optics cables that you will need to connect one thing to another in your installation, so I would rely on Mr. Valentine.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Valentine says I need a FO cable to go from the PSE to the main D2B ring. This is a long FO cable. He said that if I didn't have a CD Changer, I could use the FO cable for the changer instead.

The PSE Harness he said is to connect the PSE to the main harness. Whatever that means. I'm assuming he's talking about copper in this case, but I don't see the necessity, since the db25 connector should plug straight into the PSE, AFAICT.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM

e350
2004 e500 4matic

hi
i recently purchased Part# B67875855 OEM bluetooth adapter with cord for my 2004 e500.
my car never had a phone so i removed the floor of the center console and plugged the cord in to the tele aid socket.
i paired my 1st generation I phone to the system and the connection showed up on my phone.

there must be another step to do because the bluetooth system does not work.

do i need to take it to the dealer for programming?
thanks for helping!
jeff
Old 10-18-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should take a look at the phone bulletin for your car as given in the initial writeups in this string. The puck-with-tail plugs into the same socket that the V60 cradle would have.

If you want full function of the phone without conflicts you should have it version coded. However, owners with CP-211 systems report that their phones function without doing that.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:38 PM

e350
how do i go about having it version coded?
are you talking about my i phone or the computer in the car?
who can do this?

do i take it to the dealer and have them plug in star diagnosis and click the activate cel option?

thanks again
jeff
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please read the first post in this thread. Version coding and where to do it is discussed right there.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Grrrrrrr.....

Folks - I am glad to try to help with specific phone issues. I realize that the situation can be complicated, and sorting through this string can try one's patience (it would be so much better if we could edit our posts more than 24 hours after posting, but we can't). However, I continue to get private messages requesting assistance, and showing that the sender at best simply scanned the string (or the first few posts) and decided they didn't want to read - even the very first post - he just wanted a tailored, private response.

Sorry. I just don't have time for that. That is why this string exists. I won't post the entire request I got this morning, or my full response to it - but here is a short summary of the response:

1) See post #1 in this string for the meaning of prewiring.
2) See post #5 and follow the link to the phone bulletin for your car to see what equipment you need.
3) See post #1 again for version coding.
4) See post #1 for parts sources.
5) See post #5 and follow the link. Your '06 will be the same as the '05.
6) See posts 6 and 8 for the newest puck part numbers. MHI pucks are blue/silver and the newest part number is listed. V60 pucks and "Pucks with tail" (both used only with D2B fiber optic systems or CP-211 systems) are black and incompatible with MHI systems. There is a black MHI puck installed only at the port-of-entry (i.e., not available through dealers); it has a higher part number than 5839, but I don't have its part number at this time. The newest blue/silver MHI puck and the black MHI puck are essentially the same.
7) See the AWS compatibility link in post #6.

Now, really, folks - I know the Guide cannot and will not answer every conceivable question. Indeed, the summary response above addressed some information that was not in the string (or wasn't easy to find in it). I'm happy to elaborate where I can. But look at the number of responses that were covered, directly and plainly, in the string itself - if the requester had bothered to read it. Despite the fact he said he had, I don't see how. Such a request simply seeks to shift the burden to me to do all of the work of repeating what I have said before - and that's a game I'm not going to play.

A little more - I have an '05 W220 (MOST bus, MHI phone system), and used to have a '00 W220 (D2B, StarTac phone system). What I know about the phone systems comes from hands-on experience upgrading, modifying, or equipping these two cars. What I know about other models is what I can learn by reading the Mercedes phone bulletins that Paul Dick has posted so kindly on his site. From those, one can determine whether one has a D2B or a MOST bus equipped car, what type of phone system it would have had originally, and what parts are needed to equip it to an original configuration.

I have addressed in the guide two basic approaches: 1) How to bring a car up to OE specifications, if you have no phone system at all; and 2) how to upgrade an older system to a handsfree configuration (either plug-in or Bluetooth), once the phone you have can no longer be used. As a subset of the latter, I address how to go straight to a Bluetooth configuration if your older D2B equipped car has no phone system. I also address the unique CP-211 system used in some cars.

I do not have phone bulletins for cars newer than '05 (except that some, but not all, models were identical between '05 and '06). Unfortunately, this means I cannot answer in specific detail questions about many '07 and later models, except to say they are either MHI systems or that (beginning with some '09 models) they came standard with Bluetooth built in. I also cannot answer in PMs questions about specific installation steps in cars other than the W220. Referencing the phone bulletins is the best I can do.

If anyone would like to donate a new W221, an SL550, or a McLaren, I'll be happy to investigate those systems, and post what I learn about phone systems, COMANDs, navigation systems and the like. Feel FREE to PM me!

I do not test specific phones except those few that I own or borrow (a plug-in V710; a RAZR V3c; and my brother's iPhone). I rely on the AWS compatibility list for compatibility purposes, and I encourage folks to post or search for posts of contributors who have phones that are not on the AWS list. I cannot answer PMs that request how to get the phone book of an incompatible, unlisted phone to download, or why the system won't accept all 1000 contacts from this month's latest and greatest new untested phone.

My private message inbox is not the place for questions when one has not taken the time to read - and I mean actually read - the posts applicable to the car's system, and either cannot understand them, or have a question that is not covered in the posts. I get plenty of PMs from folks who do need that kind of help, and I am happy to provide it if I can. The other kind, we can all do without.

None of this is said to discourage posting in this string. There are a ton of knowledgeable folks who have navigated the maze, and who can answer questions that I cannot. This string, and open forums, are exactly the right place to post such questions. Please do.

But please also consider anyone's private inbox and time a little; sort through what is here before sending a PM.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-29-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Several
Because federal law requires cell phones to be E911 compliant (that is, be able to transmit your location when you place a 911 call), the StarTac, TimePort, and V60 phones older than the V60S model can no longer be used on U.S. cellular systems.
I've discovered some good news on this front, which may or may not be widely known.

If you've a a dual-mode Startac for Verizon (CDMA 800 MHz), you can still get service. And, the prices are very reasonable...$30/mo for 1200 minutes, $40/mo for unlimited.

I read over at HowardForums that Pageplus Cellular does not require E911-compliant phones - many people have activated older dual-mode Startacs through them successfully, using the dealers at HowardForums. I've not seen any reports of anyone doing it with their MBZ Startacs, but can't think of any reason it wouldn't work for them as well.

Two caveats, as explained to me:

- Pageplus uses the Verizon network, so this is only an option if you've a dual-mode Startac with CDMA.

- The old Startacs only have 800MHz CDMA, so if you enter an area where Verizon is using 1900 MHz, it either won't work or will roam. From what I've found, this doesn't appear to be a huge issue for most folks - seems the vast majority of Verizon's network is 800MHz. It appears to be an issue in some areas of TX and FL, where Verizon doesn't have 800MHz FCC licenses.

Granted, this does nothing for those wanting a newer handset and/or Bluetooth - but I just want the integrated phone to work in my 2000 E320 again, as cheaply as possible. "Free" (not counting service) is a nice price.

Assuming everything above works as expected, I'll post back after activating and using the phone for a bit.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for that information, Da Nag. The one possibility folks could encounter is that if Pageplus must load the phone with its own firmware, that it wipes the proprietary MB firmware that lets the phone integrate with COMAND. If that is the case, it woild no longer be recognized by COMAND, and would be shut down right after being plugged in.

If Pageplus has a way of allowing the phone on its system without wiping the MB proprietary firmware (which was written separately for each provider; that's what made the phones so expensive), then it should work. Otherwise, it won't.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Several
The one possibility folks could encounter is that if Pageplus must load the phone with its own firmware, that it wipes the proprietary MB firmware that lets the phone integrate with COMAND. If that is the case, it woild no longer be recognized by COMAND, and wuld be shut down right after being plugged in.
Based on info I've read over at HowardForums, I don't think this will be an issue. One of the more common threads over there, is getting non-Pageplus supplied phones on the plan. In general, the consensus is that any Verizon provisioned phone will work...assuming a clear ESN. There are countless reports of other CDMA phones working from many providers, with the only common problem being data access - not voice.

Still...even if Pageplus does something to brick my Startac or make it unusable with the car, I'm no worse off than before. And, since they're a pre-paid provider, there's no risk in getting stuck with a long term commitment if things don't work or fail in the future.

Crossin' my fingers - I'll report back.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 PM

Question about Part# B67875855 OEM bluetooth adapter with cord, mentioned by simpateko above.

Is this essentially the same as getting the bluetooth "puck" Part # B 6 787 5856, and the cradle eliminator cable Part # Q 682 0976, all in one?

If so it would save me about $70.

Thanks for any info on this. I have a 2002 w210 wagon, as I've mentioned above.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Da Nag
Based on info I've read over at HowardForums, I don't think this will be an issue. One of the more common threads over there, is getting non-Pageplus supplied phones on the plan. In general, the consensus is that any Verizon provisioned phone will work...assuming a clear ESN. There are countless reports of other CDMA phones working from many providers, with the only common problem being data access - not voice.

Still...even if Pageplus does something to brick my Startac or make it unusable with the car, I'm no worse off than before. And, since they're a pre-paid provider, there's no risk in getting stuck with a long term commitment if things don't work or fail in the future.

Crossin' my fingers - I'll report back.
It won't "brick" your Startac. It will be usable as a cell phone. However, if they wipe the MB proprietary firmware, it will NOT function with your car's system. It will function as what I described an an unbranded phone, not an MB-branded phone. The car will shut the phone down when you plug it in. This was discussed very early on in this string.

If Pageplus has a way of getting your StarTac onto its network without wiping the MB proprietary firmware, then it should work. However, be advised - MB sold the phones with its proprietary firmware written for each of several different carriers, and they were not interchangeable. We'll be interested to see the results. Frankly, I wouldn't sign a contract unless PP were willing to let you confirm that it works, before making you pay an early termination fee.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-07-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kieran28
Question about Part# B67875855 OEM bluetooth adapter with cord, mentioned by simpateko above.

Is this essentially the same as getting the bluetooth "puck" Part # B 6 787 5856, and the cradle eliminator cable Part # Q 682 0976, all in one?

If so it would save me about $70.

Thanks for any info on this. I have a 2002 w210 wagon, as I've mentioned above.
The part is the V60 "puck with tail" for cars equipped with the CP-211 system. As stated pretty clearly in the early writeups, an '03 and '04 E-Class have this system - and the AWS site compatibility page states clearly that this is the puck you need for those models (one of which you list under your avatar).

An '02 did not have the CP-211, and the puck with tail is not for those cars. As I have stated over and over, check the phone bulletin for your model year to see what you have, or should have. From there you can determine what you need, and it's all in the first seven posts in this string! Or you can follow what Keith Valentine is telling you. It is consistent with those posts.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM

The part is the V60 "puck with tail" for cars equipped with the CP-211 system. As stated pretty clearly in the early writeups, an '03 and '04 E-Class have this system - and the AWS site compatibility page states clearly that this is the puck you need for those models (one of which you list under your avatar).

An '02 did not have the CP-211, and the puck with tail is not for those cars. As I have stated over and over, check the phone bulletin for your model year to see what you have, or should have. From there you can determine what you need, and it's all in the first seven posts in this string! Or you can follow what Keith Valentine is telling you. It is consistent with those posts.
Skylaw, yes you have stated over and over to read the phone bulletin and the early posts in this thread, and I have. I even searched this thread for that part number with no hits. How could I have known that this was the same part as the "puck with tail" you mention elsewhere, when the part number is not given anywhere in this thread (if it is, the search tool didn't find it)?

I have read the bulletin for my car (FYI, I refer to my car (just one) interchangeably as a 2002 and a 2003. It is technically a 2003, but it is a w210 chassis, and most people automatically think 2003 = w211 chassis, as you did just now, so I often just say 2002.) I've also read the first seven posts of this thread. Can't blame me for not picking up on something that is not intended for my car, and thus probably isn't discussed in the sections pertaining to my car.

So, I had not heard of this part before. In photos of it on ebay it looks just like the "puck" for the 210 chassis cars, so I thought it might be a way to save some money. It is possible after all that nobody had thought of it before, and/or that the bulletin was outdated, or something. So shoot me for asking.

I would have thought based on my earlier posts (re. Mr. Valentine, etc.) that you would have assumed that I had read all the pertinent material for my car (which I have) given that it's pretty clear in those posts that I have.

If you're so tired of people asking questions in this thread, maybe you should stop answering them. I hope you don't, but it's up to you.

Anyway, thank you very much for answering my questions.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With your avatar section showing an '03 and your text showing an '02, we don't really know what you mean unless you clarify it. Now that you have, accessing the equipment bay of your car using the phone bulletin for the '02 and the '03 as a guide, you could look at the part number on the PSE, and tell whether you had a CP-211 or an Autosense PSE. The part numbers are in the bulletins. Whether you have a CP-211 or an Autosense can make a huge difference in the equipment you need throughout the system.

The AWS site, on its compatibility page, pictures the puck with tail, and clearly states that it is for use with vehicles having the CP-211. The site gets you to that page when you choose '03 or '04 E-Class to check compatibility . If you click on the link toward the bottom of the page, it takes you to a phone compatibility list and shows the part numbers of the V60 puck and also the puck with tail.

The compatibility page for the 2001 and 2002 E-Class shows the V60 puck, not the puck with tail.

The cradle into which the V60 puck plugs for the '01 and '02 E-Class has entirely different connectors inside the console than the cradle that the '03 and '04 E-Class have. The Cradle Eliminator is not made with connectors compatible with the '03 and '04 E-Class, the '04 S-Class, or the '04 CL. That's why the puck with tail exists.

I hope that is clear enough. I got there by reading the early posts and by reading same materials for which I have provided the links in them.

Yes. I am tired of answering some of the questions I see in this string; yours are far from being among the worst (reference post 137 above). I do feel a responsibility to try to answer, since the original post is mine, and frequently I have the knowledge to respond (sometimes I just don't). There are many other knowledgeable folks out there, and I am very happy when they respond here.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-07-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Several
However, if they wipe the MB proprietary firmware...
Sorry for the dumb Q, but...is it even possible to do this remotely? All I need to do, is provide the ESN to a PP dealer - nobody will be in physical possession of the phone but me.

Frankly, I wouldn't sign a contract unless PP were willing to let you confirm that it works, before making you pay an early termination fee.
As stated earlier, PP is a pre-paid provider. No contract, no ETF. Worse case scenario...I'm out $10 for a pre-paid minutes card. Even activation is free, when going through any of several dealers at the previously mentioned site.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 PM

Several
Update: Using PagePlus as a provider works perfectly on my stock 2000 W210 Startac CDMA phone. I'm stoked.

Since this thread seems to be more targeted at those wishing to upgrade for more modern features, I started a new one with the details.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 AM

With your avatar section showing an '03 and your text showing an '02, we don't really know what you mean unless you clarify it.
The text below my name used to (until a few hours ago) say "2003 e320 wagon (w210)" that, IMO, was pretty clear. It states right there, it's a 2003, e-class wagon. For those who know the e-class, they know that while the sedan switched chassis in 2003, the wagon did not switch until 2004. For those that don't know (most) I put the "w210" after, to clarify. I've now added "NOT 211" to make it even more clear. Hope this helps.
Now that you have, accessing the equipment bay of your car using the phone bulletin for the '02 and the '03 as a guide
The bulletin for the 2003 e-class wagon is for the correct chassis - 210, not 211, so I don't need the 2002 bulletin.
, you could look at the part number on the PSE,
I don't have a PSE. As indicated in my earlier posts, I'm looking to upgrade to bluetooth for my car which has never had any phone whatsoever (except for the SOS system thing) installed.
and tell whether you had a CP-211 or an Autosense PSE. The part numbers are in the bulletins. Whether you have a CP-211 or an Autosense can make a huge difference in the equipment you need throughout the system.
Thanks for that tip. The bulletin for my car says
PSE “Auto Sense” (SYN 9266B) Q 682 0845

Do you know if the CP-211 is for MOST systems only, or is it compatible with D2B? The part I was looking to buy, based on reading here, the bulletin, etc., was the "universal PSE" mentioned in the first page of this thread.
Universal PSE Q 682 0971

The AWS site, on its compatibility page, pictures the puck with tail, and clearly states that it is for use with vehicles having the CP-211. The site gets you to that page when you choose '03 or '04 E-Class to check compatibility.
I never would have gone to the 03/04 page, since my car is a 210, and "03" when paired with 04, means 211 chassis.
If you click on the link toward the bottom of the page, it takes you to a phone compatibility list and shows the part numbers of the V60 puck and also the puck with tail.
I didn't bother looking at the compatibility list before there because my phones have already been mentioned in this and other threads as compatible. Besides, I'm less concerned with phone book download.
The compatibility page for the 2001 and 2002 E-Class shows the V60 puck, not the puck with tail.
Actually, the 01/02 page compatibility list shows the exact same pdf file as the 03/04 page. Both pdf files show both the puck and the puck with tail, and both have the same list of compatible phones.

The cradle into which the V60 puck plugs for the '01 and '02 E-Class has entirely different connectors inside the console than the cradle that the '03 and '04 E-Class have. The Cradle Eliminator is not made with connectors compatible with the '03 and '04 E-Class, the '04 S-Class, or the '04 CL. That's why the puck with tail exists.

I hope that is clear enough. I got there by reading the early posts and by reading same materials for which I have provided the links in them.
Yes, it is clear now. Thanks.

Again, this all happened because I had never seen the part before. I had not seen the part before because I don't bother reading or clicking through to things that have to do with the 211 chassis e-class cars, since I know my car is a 210. You may have thought it logical for me to click on the "03/04" e-class link on the AWS site, but for me, there's no reason to. The thing that really bugs me, is that even MBZ makes it not entirely clear for people who own my car what links they should click on. Someone not as educated as I about the car chassis would probably click on the "03/04" link & then go buy the puck+tail thing, which apparently won't work in a 210 chassis car with the D2B optical network.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Da Nag
Update: Using PagePlus as a provider works perfectly on my stock 2000 W210 Startac CDMA phone. I'm stoked.

Since this thread seems to be more targeted at those wishing to upgrade for more modern features, I started a new one with the details.
Thank you for that information and that link, Da Nag. I have also updated the How-To Guide posting on BenzWorld with a link to it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-08-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kieran 28,

Because of the difficulty you encountered, I have updated the How-To Guide string on BenzWorld to make things easier for owners of cars with the CP-211. I have included part numbers in the post (I did not have them when doing he original post). Unfortunately, MBWorld does not allow update or editing of posts more than 24 hours after they are initially made, so I cannot update the early posts in this string. Readers here will have to sort through all of this to get the information. Sorry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH