Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e55
"HOW TO" Blutooth upgrade for 2001 E-55 with photos

I have spent a great deal of time over the past few months trying to figure out the best way to replace the hands free function I lost when I replaced the Motorola Timeport in my 2001 E55. I have used an external Motorola device clipped to my sun visor and a coiled cord dangling to the cigaratte lighter. It functioned but was a pain to use. Some sources suggested using a bluetooth ear piece which I can not tolerate. Another source wanted to sell me a Motorola V60s phone and the PSE UPDATE WITH A CRADLE. I was then to have all calls forwarded to the V60s phone whenever I got in the car. This would require another phone contract. His justification was better sound quality and connectivity through the cars built in antenna as opposed to my bluetooth phone. I found that all I needed to upgrade the factory installed system was a upgraded PSE unit, a cradle eliminator cable PN: BQ 6 82 0976 (you can use a v60s cradle if you have a late 2001 or 2002 E class with a V60 cradle) and a V60 blue tooth puck PN: B 6 7 87 5856. If you have been reading the Forums, you will note that the "old" PSE unit in the trunk has a white lable on it. The upgraded two way PSE has a BLUE lable or is marked as PSE Universal reman PN: BQ 6 82 0971 (see photo #1)

Installation is straight forward if you have basic tools (for use on German cars eg torx drivers and metric sockets) The First step is to remove the trunk liner on the left side of the trunk (photo #2) This requires removal of a fastener at the top near the trunk hinge and a latch at the seem with the rear cover.Removal takes a little wrestling but the liner is flexible.

The electronics are now visible. Two connections to the old PSE are easily detached (photo #3) The PSE unit is attached to a bracket attached to the wheel well and hinge bracket by three black nylon nuts at locations indicated (photo4). Once the nuts are removed, the bracket is mobilized and the old PSE which is held by 3 Phillips screws (two along lower edge and one on top towards the center) can be detached. They are in tight and you need to use a GOOD Phillips screwdiver or risk stripping the heads. Install in reverse order.

The next step is to remove the old Timeport cradle with Torx and Phillips screwdrivers. The wiring is removed through the small plastic "doors" in the bottom of the compartments. The bottom compartment cover opens downwards and the old wiring detached. (photo#6) The new cable fed through the bottom of the upper compartment and plugged into the RJ45 type outlet. The cable is shorter than you might expect and must be routed through the openings carefully to avoid crimping them when the "doors" are closed.(photo #7) The puck is then attached to the cable and ends up resting in the back of the upper compartment. (photo #8) It can be attached to the compartment with velcro if you desire or could even be placed in the lower compartment. I would worry about it becoming tangled with "junk" that often ends up in the lower compartment.

I have been able to use the voice command sytem and the previously programmed numbers and names. It does not seem to automaticlly read my Verizon LG voyager phone book. I have not spent much time with this aspect as it functions otherwise for my purposes identical to my previous timeport phone. Total cost was less than $500.

I hope that this information will be helpful to the forum users. I can not attest to how other models are arranged. Total time for upgrade including cleaning out the trunk and console: about 1.5 hr.

jsmay1955
[email]jsmay1955@aol.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PDFImages.pdf (390.3 KB, 1050 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum, jsmay1955.

Thank you for helping us to keep current, and for the photos of your installation. An excellent post!

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-30-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
jlr

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
B67876131 How to install?

I just bought a 2006 CL 55. It has a cradle (empty) in the rm rest. I just bought a B67876131. I was told that all I need to do is to remove the cradle an dplug in this part. Can someone tell me how to remove the cradle and whether once that is done, this part will simply plug in to permit pairing?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There will be a small button on the cradle, on the end toward the shift quadrant. For my V710 cradle, the button is beside the spring loaded slide that holds the phone in place (click the picture for full size). Cradles for other phones (and MHI pucks) will have a release button in the same relative position. Push the button in to release the cradle, and slide it off the MHI contact plate (it will only slide in one direction - away from the shift quadrant).

Then slide your MHI Bluetooth puck (the part you bought) into place on the MHI contact plate, until it clicks into place. Now, you're ready to pair, in accordance with both the puck instructions and your phone's instructions.
Attached Thumbnails 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH-cradle-release.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-18-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM
jlr

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Sky- thanks so much. I am hoping for full functionality with the new adapter on my Blackberry Bold.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Blackberry Bold with AT&T firmware v4.6.0.167 is listed as compatible with your system. See http://www.wireless4mb.com/page18/as...ibt12-3-09.pdf

AWS has a vehicle compatibility section that lists compatible phones for different plug-in and Bluetooth options, depending on model year. See vehicle selector on their home page, or use http://www.wireless4mb.com/page8/page8.html
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Mobridge Phone Book Troubles

I recently installed a Mobridge ABT2010 bluetooth and ipod module in my 2006 C230 (which I'm delighted with). The car has the Audio20 head unit. I successfuly paired my T-Mobile Shadow Windows Mobile 6 Smart Phone. However the phone did not prompt me to sync the phonebook and consequently no contacts were available to dial from the car head unit or steering wheel controls.

I installed Jetware Mobile Software Bluetooth Mobile Extension on the smartphone which supposedly gave me the capability of "pushing" the phonebook to the Mobridge/Audio20. This didn't work so I read the Jetware software FAQ. Turns out that WM6 smartphones are incapable of syncing a phonebook with the Parrot chipset that's in the Mobridge (thanks for nothing Microsoft!). However, you can go into phone contacts and beam them one at a time via bluetooth Object Exchange (ObEx) protocol. These are "pushed" to the Mobridge/Audio20 and are not updated each time the phone connects. However it would have worked out well as each name has work/home/cell categories "pushed" over.

So, here's my problem. One of the contacts I pushed had an incorrect phone number in and I cannot seem to make any changes to it. I modified and beamed the contact again and it didn't change anything. I tried allsorts to edit on the Audio20 head unit but nothing worked.

How do you edit or delete a phone book entry on the OEM Mercedes Audio20 phone interface? That might give me a clue. There's a CLR soft button but that just seems to delete one digit at a time and no changes are saved anyway.

Has anyone tried what I'm doing with a Mobridge/Audio20?

Alternatively, how do I delete the phone details and start again. There's an option that states "(delete T-Mobile Shadow)" on the Audio20 phone menu when the phone is not connected, but nothing will action the command (I'm sure I've tried just about every button).

I've spoken to Mobridge about the phonebook and they tried their best, but apparently they paid Parrot to do all the phone testing and so don't really know any specifics about how to make phones work properly with their unit even if (as in the case of the T-Mobile Shadow) they are fully Mobridge compatible.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Handsfree for iPhone/2006 c280

My girlfriend drives a 2006 C280 4matic, it has nave but no phone function. What is the easiest & least expensive (the car will be traded in a year) way I can get her a controllable handsfree device to work with her iPhone 3gs??
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you only want the phone function, get a Parrot Bluetooth device that plugs into the cigarette lighter. There won't be much integration, but it will provide phone function, and it is cheap.

If you want music too - that's another story. You're looking at about $700 for a Dension Gateway 500 with its Bluetooth add-on, or about $1,000 for both music and Bluetooth, with combination units from iTronics or mObridge. However, you can remove those devices before you trade.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-27-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Command won't recognze the puck/blackberry....

Thanks to all the posts in this great forum, I went out and got the Universal PSE, Bluetooth puck and the Cradle eliminator cable for my 2001 CLK55. I had a timeport in my car before. I installed it yesterday and it worked like a charm - crystal clear calls, phone book download, steering wheel controls and the whole bit.

Until this afternoon.... when the command suddenly doesn't recognize my phone (Error - No Phone). The Puck shows solid blue light and it even pairs with my phone (Blackberry Curve 8310) every time I enter the car - but since command shows this error, the calls don't go through.

I have tried taking the puck out and putting back in, also tried deleting the connection on the blackberry and reconnecting - nothing seems to work.

HELP please. thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I suggest pulling your phone fuses, leaving them out for about 30 seconds, then re-inserting them (be sure they're all good).

Other than that, do the same thing to COMAND, to force it to re-intialize (it will poll the equipment on the fiber optics loop, and may find your phone equipment again).

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:56 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Thanks Skylaw. I tried something similar - pulled out the PSE and put it back in and that worked. Obviously pulling out fuses would be easier
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 AM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Skylaw
I suggest pulling your phone fuses, leaving them out for about 30 seconds, then re-inserting them (be sure they're all good).

Other than that, do the same thing to COMAND, to force it to re-intialize (it will poll the equipment on the fiber optics loop, and may find your phone equipment again).
Skylaw, Stupid question, but where is the phone/command fuse located in CLK55AMG? I couldnt find in my manuals.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, I don't know, and I don't have any fuse diagrams for the CLK. In both of my S500s the fuse diagram has been stored around a tool in the spare tire well. Yours may be there as well.

Other than that, perhaps someone has posted a diagram for your car (or close enough to its model year) on that forum.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
No Phone Error - not resolved yet

Skylaw, Thanks for your help and prompt response. My problem may be more complex...

It turns out that the Universal PSE/BT Puck/Cradle Elim Cable solution works for a little while (sometimes a day - sometimes a few hours) and then it goes back to "No Phone" error. I tried pulling the fuses out and that didn't help.

When I take the Universal PSE out, put my old PSE back, then put the Universal PSE back in it seems to work - but only a short while. Then, it goes back to "No Phone" error in the command display.

The wiring all seems to be in order - when I put back the timeport cradle and old PSE back - it seems to recognize it fine.

Any thoughts? Could it be a defective PSE? The irony is that when it works - it works perfectly.

Below are the specific part numbers I am using -
B67875856 Bluetooth PUK Module for Mercedes
Q6820976 PSE Cable for V60 PUK (Cradle Elim Cable)
Q6820971 PSE for Mercedes V60 install

Appreciate your help - and thanks for your time.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I suspect a malfunction in one of the three new components.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM

2001 e55
No Phone Error - not resolved yet

you might try pairing a different bluetooth phone and be sure it is not a subtle incompatability with the blackberry.. I have occaisionally had my LG phone fail to pair up. It usally corrects when I take it out of my left pocket and in closer proximity to the puck. perhaps one of these tips will help. Simple to try, good luck.

jsmay1955
Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 PM

2001 CLK 55 AMG
It was all a mystery - but in the end - a defective PSE. Once replaced, now it works perfectly. Thanks all for your help.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by Skylaw
The following information is what I have been able to glean from other contributor’s posts; I have not seen this done myself, and would welcome any feedback.

The MY ’03-’04 E Class and ’04 S-Class were equipped with a PSE that combined the Tele-Aid and cell phone support equipment into one unit called the CP-211. All that is necessary in these cars is to “activate” the cell option with STAR diagnosis, and add the proper V60 cradle (kit Q 682 0882 for the S-Class; Q 682 0828 for the ’03 or ’04 E-Class). In addition, the E-Class phone bulletins indicate that a linear compensator and cable are necessary (only for plug-in operation, I would add), and the ’03 E-Class requires an Audio 50 firmware update.

Once the activation is done, a Bluetooth “Puck with Tail” is used. This puck differs from the puck used in other ’00-04 cars.

A caveat for owners of cars other than the E-Class and S-Class discussed in this section: The V60 cradle for the '03-'04 E-Class and '04 S-Class does not use the same connectors as the V-60 cradle for other models, and it should not be substituted unless you can get the adapters that are necessary. In addition, I have no idea what the outcome of adding a CP-211 PSE to an earlier car that still had its original Tele-Aid equipment in place. Although it may be possible to take the OE Tele-Aid out of the fiber optic loop, I don’t know if the CP-211 can be made to work in installations for which it was not designed.
Forgive me, but the stuff I bolded above seems all wrong to me. Isn't the whole point of the "puck with tail" in these models that you don't need the cradle or compensator?

What you appear to have described is for these models of cars which already have the cradle and compensator fittings already in place, in which case the normal puck (without a tail) is used.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The purpose of the Puck With Tail is indeed to provide Bluetooth capability, so that the cradle is not necessary. The bolded text only applies to the plug-in phone option, and is correct as written.

What is wrong is the next paragraph, which does not make it clear that the "Puck With Tail" is a Bluetooth-only option, and with it, no cradle is necessary. Neither is the linear compensator in an E-Class.

There is no reason I am aware of that would prevent one from using the V-60 puck in one of the specified cars if it already had an active V60 cradle; but you cannot get that from reading the literature. The AWS site clearly calls for the standard V60 puck for '01-02 E-Classes, and the "Puck With Tail"for the '03 and '04 E-Class. No one has written in to say they successfully used a standard V60 puck in the cradle of an '03 or '04 E-Class -so I'm not about to tell folks they can, based on available literature.

The problem is, this forum does not allow corrections or editing to posts after a short time period - 24 hours or less. Unfortunately, one has to read further into the string to get the clear information. The "other forum" does allow edits - always - and as a result, the writeup reads better and is more accurate. See permalink #4 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ades-plug.html

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM

2006 CLK 500
Motorola Droid

Does anyone know if the Motorola Droid is compatible with the MHI bluetooth puck?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM

2007 E3504M
BB Tour 9630 - No Address Book Sync with Bluetooth

First off, thanks to Skylaw for the massive amount of info here. I've looked through a lot of materials here and on other sites/forums, but have a problem that I have not been able to solve.

Phone: BB Tour 9630, Verizon, running v.4.7.1.40 software. The address book has about 450 contacts in it.
Car: 2007 E350 with factory hands fee communication, and Bluetooth adapter B67875878 installed.

The BT adapter snapped in fine, and the phone pairs up right away - calls made to and from the phone work great. If I enter a phone # on the Command screen keypad, and hit "send" (either on keypad, or from steering wheel), it works fine. "end" buttons also work fine to terminate call. If I dial an outgoing phone # from the phone itself, it works great also.

BUT: on the Command screen, the on-screen tags for Address Book, Outgoing calls, Incoming calls, and SMS are all dimmed out and do not function. And I cannot get my BB contacts (address book) to sync/download to the MB system. I have checked the bluetooth setting on the BB and verified that Address Book Transfer is enabled for all contacts, and there is nothing in our Blackberry Enterprise Server settings to disable or impair the address book. When I try the "Transfer address book" function from the BB, it says "generating contacts" for a few seconds, then says "transfer failed" and to consult my bluetooth owners manual.

The dashboard display also recognizes the phone and shows calls in session, etc., but when you click through to the phone book is just says "list empty"

I would really like to be able to download the BB address book to the MB system. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 AM

2007 E3504M
BB Tour 9630 - One More Thing....

I see at http://www.wireless4mb.com/page18/page18.html that this specific Blackberry with Verizon service and the 4.7.1.40 software is an MB approved phone for use the the '878 bluetooth adapter from MB. So, there should be a solution to this problem, right??
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Revised Post #4 for MY '03-'04 W211 E-Class, '04 S-Class, and '04 CL

The forum does not allow edits long after posting, but questions that have arisen over time require some clarification of post #4 on the first page of this string; so here's better information.

The MY ’03-’04 (W211) E Class, ’04 S-Class and '04 CL were equipped with a PSE that combined the Tele-Aid and cell phone support equipment into one unit called the CP-211 (Communications Platform 211). This means that all of the cars in the subject line already have the "PSE" - and need very little else to complete their phone system, whether it was ever ordered with the car or not.

The '03 W210 E-Class has an Autosense PSE, and post #2 or 3 on the first page of this string should be followed for that model.

If one wishes to go straight to Bluetooth, and not use a plug-in phone or cradle, then the "Puck with Tail" may be used. This puck differs from the V60 puck used in other ’00-04 cars. The "Puck with Tail" part number, for use with the CP-211, is B 6 787 5855, and it replaces the cradle (and therefore is sometimes called a "cradle replacer"). This is a particularly easy solution if the car does not already have a V60 cradle. THIS MEANS THAT TO COMPLETE THE BLUETOOTH PHONE SYSTEM FOR THESE MODELS, A "PUCK WITH TAIL" AND A COMPATIBLE PHONE IS ALL THAT IS NECESSARY. The rest of the equipment is already in place in these cars. The "Puck with Tail" looks like a V60 puck with a wire and connectors attached. The connectors are plugged into the same ones in the center console that would be used to connect the V60 cradle. The phone bulletins for your car will show those connections. See http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

Also, combining a "Cradle eliminator cable" and a "V60 Puck" mentioned in preceding posts is not the same as the "Puck with Tail" - the connections to the console are different. The "cradle eliminator cable/V60 puck" combination is used only with the Universal PSE, or with Blue Label StarTac, Timeport, or Autosense PSEs discussed in the prededing post. The "Puck with Tail" is used only with CP-211 equipped cars ('03-'04 W211, '04 S-Class, and '04 CL).

To use a plug-in phone in a car that has never had a phone installed, all that is necessary in these cars is to “activate” the cell option with STAR diagnosis, and add the proper V60 cradle (kit Q 682 0882 for the S-Class; Q 682 0828 for the ’03 or ’04 E-Class). In addition, the E-Class phone bulletins indicate that a linear compensator and cable are necessary (only for plug-in operation), and the ’03 E-Class with Audio 50 requires a firmware update.

A caveat for owners of cars other than the E-Class, S-Class and CL discussed in this section: The V60S cradle for the '03-'04 E-Class and '04 S-Class uses FAKRA connectors that are not the same as the connectors for the V-60 cradle for other models, and it should not be substituted unless you can get the adapters that are necessary. The adapters are included with newer V60S cradles sold through the dealership.

Installation- The cradle, or alternatively the "Puck with Tail," connect to the same connections shown for the V60 cradle in the phone bulletins, http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm. You can see both options by going to http://www.wireless4mb.com/page8/page8.html, choosing your model, and then whether you want a cradle or a Bluetooth option. Once there, you can also determine which phones and firmware combinations are compatible with the equipment.

I don’t know if the CP-211 can be made to work in installations for which it was not designed (i.e., in cars other than the model mentioned here).

A special word on version coding if you have a CP-211: Some contributors report that they have not had to have their phone system version coded after installing the V60 cradle or the puck with tail. Their phones have worked right away (probably because the fiber optic controller had been version coded for Tele-Aid, which is part of the CP-211). Others have reported that some features did not work properly - such as showing information on the instrument cluster display - until version coding was done. Proper version coding should ensure that all features that should be included in the system are present.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-22-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Henry71
I see at http://www.wireless4mb.com/page18/page18.html that this specific Blackberry with Verizon service and the 4.7.1.40 software is an MB approved phone for use the the '878 bluetooth adapter from MB. So, there should be a solution to this problem, right??
Henry 71, the problem may well be that the system cannot handle 450 phone book entries. I do not know the absolute number that it can handle; however, I have seen folks write in complaining that they could not get 1000 or so entries to download. I believe what they did was to create a smaller "mobile" list of numbers elsewhere in their phone's memory, and downloaded that. Because I don't track every phone, I cannot tell you how to do that, unfortunately. However, contributors have written in and posted their experience. I hate to say it, but searching the forum may be your best hope. I don't have the entries bookmarked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1. HOW-TO GUIDE FOR CELL PHONE UPGRADES, PLUG-IN AND BLUETOOTH