Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How do I remove equipment tray (phone install)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
How do I remove equipment tray (phone install)

2005 W211 (Sedan)

I'm trying to remove the equipment tray that is located in the trunk (directly behind the rear seat). I'm considering installing a phone and know that I'll need to remove the tray so that I can mount the phone modules to it.

I've removed the two (2) screws that are located at the front of the tray; however, I can't seem to get the rear clips to release.

Does anyone have a diagram of the equipment tray that shows the locations of the screws/clips which need to be removed? Or, can someone list the steps for removing the tray (without the use of a prybar)?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM

2005 E320
Question

bump....

Surely someone knows an easy way to remove the equipment tray. The telephone installation intructions (P-I-82.70/405A) refer to this piece as the carrier plate.

Regardless of what it is called, I can't figure out how to detach the top piece from the bottom piece.

Please help.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Why do you want to remove the carrier plate? Shouldn't you be able to install the control unit without replacing the carrier plate?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:40 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Why do you want to remove the carrier plate? Shouldn't you be able to install the control unit without replacing the carrier plate?
I don't want to remove the entire carrier plate - only the top portion. The phone installation instructions that I referenced in my previous post instruct me to remove the carrier plate. Considering that the carrier plate is in two pieces, I'm pretty sure I don't need to remove the whole thing. I should be able to get by with only removing the top (cover) piece.

Why do I need to do this, you ask? Because the carrier plate is where a lot of my telephone (fiber) cables and connectors are located, and where I need to mount the MHI control module and VCS module (once I purchase them). So basically, in order to mount the new modules and to make the connections, I have to remove the top piece of the carrier plate.

I have removed two screws from the carrier plate but I cannot get the clips that are closest to the rear seat to release. I am able to peer between the top and bottom pieces with a flashlight and can see all of the cables and mounting locations. Very frustrating that I cannot get the pieces to seperate.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by jkv11503
I don't want to remove the entire carrier plate - only the top portion. The phone installation instructions that I referenced in my previous post instruct me to remove the carrier plate. Considering that the carrier plate is in two pieces, I'm pretty sure I don't need to remove the whole thing. I should be able to get by with only removing the top (cover) piece.

Why do I need to do this, you ask? Because the carrier plate is where a lot of my telephone (fiber) cables and connectors are located, and where I need to mount the MHI control module and VCS module (once I purchase them). So basically, in order to mount the new modules and to make the connections, I have to remove the top piece of the carrier plate.

I have removed two screws from the carrier plate but I cannot get the clips that are closest to the rear seat to release. I am able to peer between the top and bottom pieces with a flashlight and can see all of the cables and mounting locations. Very frustrating that I cannot get the pieces to seperate.
Perhaps I'm calling parts differently. To me the part that you have to remove is the carrier plate cover, not the carrier plate itself. But I interpret this is exactly what you tried to do. And you did remove the two screws that should be removed.

I don't remember if it came off easily when I last time accessed this space but it really should come off once the two screws have been removed. I believe you can just carefully pry it off.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Perhaps I'm calling parts differently. To me the part that you have to remove is the carrier plate cover, not the carrier plate itself. But I interpret this is exactly what you tried to do. And you did remove the two screws that should be removed.

I don't remember if it came off easily when I last time accessed this space but it really should come off once the two screws have been removed. I believe you can just carefully pry it off.
Sorry for the confusion. You are correct in your interpretation that I am trying to remove the carrier plate cover.

I've tried pulling, prying, yanking, sliding, squeezing, cursing and banging...all to no avail. It seems like the rear center clip is the one that does not want to release. It's hard to tell, but it seems as if there is another screw that I can't see or access. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 AM

C240
There are seems around it - in the fabric. Very hard or impossible to normally notice w/ your eye. Feel the area w/ your hand & you will see the seems. You'll need a very strong and narrow pry (the kind the is metal and looks like a knife - but Not sharp as a knife-blade).
Actually first run this tool alongside the seems, and press deep (downward). Run it on all sides. Then try to pry it up.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by Basa
There are seems around it - in the fabric. Very hard or impossible to normally notice w/ your eye. Feel the area w/ your hand & you will see the seems. You'll need a very strong and narrow pry (the kind the is metal and looks like a knife - but Not sharp as a knife-blade).
Actually first run this tool alongside the seems, and press deep (downward). Run it on all sides. Then try to pry it up.
Please confirm that you are referring to the plastic cover that is located in the trunk space, underneath the removable floor and directly behind the rear seat. Is that correct?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM

C240
K,

The upper tray is really tricky. To remove the top (cover) there are 2 "hingles" which you would have to press inward (sort of like changing the toilet tissue roll). You have to unscrew the scew from the "tray" of top level. Then slide it outward. Then After prying the place holder of the phone cradle (the cover plate) you can see the cables underneath the tray going toward the back of the center console box.