Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Kenwood DNX 5120 + Alpine PKG RSE2 review and pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
Kenwood DNX 5120 + Alpine PKG RSE2 review and pics

both of these units are top notch in my book and i would recommend to anyone. the kenwood is so easy to use, every feature is just where you would expect it to be and very easy to learn within minutes. the load time is super fast, probably 15-20 seconds max. i have the ipod cable in the glovebox and bluetooth is getting installed in a week or two, its bypassed also. garmin does the navigation and its amazing, so accurate and easy to use; a child could use it. sound quality is superb also, i was thinking of getting an external amp, but its not necassary.

the alpine is great too, the resolution is very high, even out in the sun the screen is easy to see from any angle (dark tint helps). if you are shopping these units around compare number of pixels, it really makes a differnce and the alpine is probaly the highest on the market. the unit is very easy to use and its nice that it has controls on the front so the driver can easily turn it on or off without reaching all the way to the back of it.

see my other post about Gold Star Audio, they did the install and nailed it. everything was done perfectly, it looks so clean imo. overall i love both of these units and am planning a roadtrip to celebrate!!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
+1...I had great experience with Kenwood double din units. I have the DNX8120 in my car now and it is easy to use, packed w/ features (Garmin nav is the best), and sounds great (thank you 5volts)...

Thanks for the write up...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Originally Posted by sleewell
both of these units are top notch in my book and i would recommend to anyone. the kenwood is so easy to use, every feature is just where you would expect it to be and very easy to learn within minutes. the load time is super fast, probably 15-20 seconds max. i have the ipod cable in the glovebox and bluetooth is getting installed in a week or two, its bypassed also. garmin does the navigation and its amazing, so accurate and easy to use; a child could use it. sound quality is superb also, i was thinking of getting an external amp, but its not necassary.

the alpine is great too, the resolution is very high, even out in the sun the screen is easy to see from any angle (dark tint helps). if you are shopping these units around compare number of pixels, it really makes a differnce and the alpine is probaly the highest on the market. the unit is very easy to use and its nice that it has controls on the front so the driver can easily turn it on or off without reaching all the way to the back of it.

see my other post about Gold Star Audio, they did the install and nailed it. everything was done perfectly, it looks so clean imo. overall i love both of these units and am planning a roadtrip to celebrate!!

Looks excellent! How much did that HU run you with the install?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Hey Sleewell...I see you have Family Guy on the rear screen. If you get into Family Guy, you should like American Dad. I just downloaded this current season and it is pretty vulgar and ridiculous...so I loved it.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM

2011 E350 4matic
i havent been able to get into American Dad, but some people like it. i will give it another try, its from the creator of family guy, right? so far it hasn't made me want to keep watching, i dont like the characters as much.

that show after entourage is down right hilarious though, "summer heights high". omg, i watch it with my school teacher friends and they are rolling on the ground.

as far as prices for just the HU its kinda hard to tell, bc they billed me for together laborwise so i dont know exactly what it would have been with just the headunit, but i will estimate.

5120: 609 shipped on ebay
ipod cable: 29
bluetooth kit: 149
dash kit and antenna: 50
install:150ish, i think. they had to run extra wires from the flip down in the back so the two units can link up so that might have been extra time.

they bypassed for free, which other shops wanted to charge extra. overall their prices were very reasonable for the quality of work and level of service.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
Sleewell,

Do you have any steering wheel controls installed? I have a 2007 C280 with the DNX5120 (which kicks a$$) but I can't find anything that works with steering wheel controls. I tried the Pac stuff but no dice. Just curious.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM

2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kegobass
Sleewell,

Do you have any steering wheel controls installed? I have a 2007 C280 with the DNX5120 (which kicks a$$) but I can't find anything that works with steering wheel controls. I tried the Pac stuff but no dice. Just curious.
yes this unit does kick major @ss, the garmin navigation blows any other unit out of the water. i would purchase again in a heartbeat, the DNX series are the best DVD/Navi units out right now.

go here http://www.kenwood.eu/support/swrc/
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
Cool, thanks. I was hoping for something cheaper but it appears this is the only thing that will work.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLE450
Question on Compatibility

Am thinking of installing same Nav/BT unit on my 2007 C230. Appreciate if you could help answers a couple of questions,

1. Does the Kenwood works with the factory Harman Kardon speakers system?

2. Does the instrument cluster computer still works i.e. range, average mpg, service in x miles...etc?

3. Does the steering wheel buttons work with the Kenwood?

Thanks.