Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4matic
Just finished the SmartKey and SmartStart install.
Very easy, is literally plug & play.
The SmartKey only took 10-15 min, beginning to end, and works flawlessly.
The SmartStart [module to start car from iPhone] took over an hour to install.
You have to hard-wire in the SmartStart module for constant 12VDC power. What took me so long was looking for somewhere to tap off the power from without having to cut into factory wiring. I read somewhere in one of the forums that the US C300's don't have fuse panels inside the cabin, but the owners manual (that clearly says on the back it's the US version) gives instructions on removing the driver-side dash panel.... trust me it's not there. It drove me nuts taking off the panel only to find it blank behind it.
Cartonics recommended to tap the 12VDC of the white harness that plugs into the SmartKey module. A little time with the multimeter and I was in business. Use ScotchLocks to tap the wires. After you verify the LEDs light solid amber and green on the SmartStart call Cartonics and they'll help you activate it. That only took 5 minutes. It's a trip to stand outside your own car and watch as someone over the phone locks the doors & start the motor.
LOVE IT!
Thanks to Scott and Brian at Cartonics for your help over the phone!
I found out there's a subscription cost for the SmartStart [iPhone module] because it's basically a small phone that's communicating thru a wireless network. Cost wasn't too bad; $49.99/yr or $119.00/3 years.
Thanks again Cartonics! We'll definitely be doing business again!

Last edited by cunha1679; 03-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Thanks for the great review.... AWESOME. Let us know if we can be of any more help.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM

2008 C300 4matic
An update after a month-and-half of use:
I love the convenience of the remote start ... When it works. I'd say it works 85% of the time. Sometimes when I try to start it, the side mirror lights flash a few times then nothing happens (doesn't matter if I'm using my iPhone or key FOB). I know the cars not out of range because all the other functions still work (like opening the trunk, and locking & unlocking the car). I have to run out to my car, put the key in the tumbler and start it with the key. After i turn it off the remote start works again. A friend of mine has this installed on his 06 E350 and runs into the same problem. Im going to call Cartonics this weekend to troubleshoot the problem. The only caveat is that it's an intermittent problem, so the issue may not present itself when I'm on the phone with them, and it'll be difficult to verify the issue is truly resolved because it comes & goes.

Last edited by cunha1679; 04-12-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Originally Posted by cunha1679
An update after a month-and-half of use:
I love the convenience of the remote start ... When it works. I'd say it works 85% of the time. Sometimes when I try to start it, the side mirror lights flash once then nothing happens (doesn't matter if I'm using my iPhone or key FOB). I know the cars not out of range because all the other functions still work (like opening the trunk, and locking & unlocking the car). I have to run out to my car, put the key in the tumbler and start it with the key. After i turn it off the remote start works again. A friend of mine has this installed on his 06 E350 and runs into the same problem. Im going to call Cartonics this weekend to troubleshoot the problem. The only caveat is that it's an intermittent problem, so the issue may not present itself when I'm on the phone with them, and it'll be difficult to verify the issue is truly resolved because it comes & goes.
I don't even have remote start and I have to do that occasionally. I don't think it has much to do with the remote start but the keyless go system (if you have that option).
Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 AM

2008 C300 4matic
Thanks for the input man
Unfortunately I don't have the Keyless Go system, so don't believe we have the same issue.
I've never had a problem starting my car with the FOB directly connected to the ignition tumbler though. Thanks again tho man. Any and all input is appreciated.
I came out of work tonight and waited until I was in front of my car to use the remote start. The side view mirrors flashed a few times but it didn't start again
I could have really used it tonight too because it's getting chilli in Chicagoland recently.... oh well....

I'll let everyone know how the troubleshooting goes.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 AM

Ferrari
Thats Dam Fascinating . i mean this the future of parking. The great thing about it is that it is remote line system.i have tried to build such system in my garage but i failed .
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 AM

04 E500
If you haven't been following this forum lately you may have missed this and other posts related to Cartronics. See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...eo-mb-4-a.html. Chances that you'll be able to do any troubleshooting this weekend seem pretty slim.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM

ml450
We can help you trouble shoot the issue, however the number of flashes that you receive when attempting to remote start your vehicle are very important to getting to the bottom of what is going on.

Here is a copy/paste from the owners manual indicating what the problem may be.

When the remote start function terminates, the parking lights will flash a specific number of times to indicate the reason for shutdown:

3 flashes: Normal Shutdown
5 flashes: Exceeded maximum number of remote starts
6 flashes: Foot brake was depressed
7 flashes: Hood opened
8 flashes: Engine RPM too high
9 flashes: Engine failed to start
10 flashes: Communication Error
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM

2008 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by DanG2
If you haven't been following this forum lately you may have missed this and other posts related to Cartronics. See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...eo-mb-4-a.html. Chances that you'll be able to do any troubleshooting this weekend seem pretty slim.
My heart goes out to Brian and his family. I am deeply regretful to learn of their loss. Brian was a real pleasure to speak with over the phone. Thanks for helping me take my MB to the next level
Originally Posted by Audiofyl
We can help you trouble shoot the issue, however the number of flashes that you receive when attempting to remote start your vehicle are very important to getting to the bottom of what is going on.

Thank you for the info! I'll check the exact amount of flashes to see what could have possibly caused he issue.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I just want to say that with my other remote start experience in a MB, I liked the idea that if I wanted to run into the store really quick, I can pull back on the cruise control stalk and the remote start will keep the car running, remove key, lock door... come out, it is still running and nice and cool inside...

Please add this to the remote starts.... and dont tell me know one asked, as we all know they didnt know... now the cat is out of the bag!!!

I will wait for the call from Dan
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 AM

2008 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Audiofyl

When the remote start function terminates, the parking lights will flash a specific number of times to indicate the reason for shutdown:

3 flashes: Normal Shutdown
5 flashes: Exceeded maximum number of remote starts
6 flashes: Foot brake was depressed
7 flashes: Hood opened
8 flashes: Engine RPM too high
9 flashes: Engine failed to start
10 flashes: Communication Error
My remote start is now working less then 50% of the time. I always get the same amount of flashes, 5. Per the info above it says this means it exceeded the max # of starts. Please help me understand how my car's reached the max # of starts when I get 5 flashes the first time I try to start it for the day. This is becoming very frustrating. MidCity, any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I'm starting to think I made a mistake purchasing the MidCity module. I've heard there's another version by a different manufacturer that doesn't have this issue. I feel I paid way too much for this not to be working. Please help!

Last edited by cunha1679; 07-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
happens all the time the remote starter is out of sync with the key. once the car has been running for over a minute and you turn it off, take the key out, lock walk away, come back later, you can start it and stop it several times. now if you do the same thing as above and don't let the car run for more than 30 seconds and take the key out it won't remote start because it basically needs to learn the next few key cycle codes. in a nut shell.

I just went through this with a client of mine and killed audiofyl with emails.

i emailed him this :

I believe I might know the issue

please try this

1. turn the valet switch off
2. start the vehicle with the key and let run for 2 minutes
3. turn off vehicle and let sit for 10 minutes locked
4. unlock and start with key
5. while running turn on valet switch
6. let vehicle run for 2 minutes
7. turn vehicle off get out and lock it
8. press panic button for 1 second (it should remote start)
9. unlock, insert key, turn to on position, press brake and shift into drive

What I believe the issue is that the key is out of sync with the ignition cylinder. The key always needs to be inserted and turned to the on position for about 1 minute. This enables the key cylinder to read the next encrypted start commands (there is only 5-7) if you turn on and then turn off, most likely the key is not able to generate the codes resulting in the problems you are having

and he responded that it is all good... this also works for not shifting out of park

I am assuming this is the C300?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM

ml450
I agree with what jbondox said. is there any reason that you would turn the key on for a very short time after you have left the vehicle (i.e., eject a cd, put the window up, etc). if, when the ignition is turned on, it isn't left on for at least 60 seconds, you can limit your number of starts, or cause it to not remote start at all next time you request it. our remote start has to stay in sync with the key and the vehicle and it requires a set amount of time to complete that process.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM

2011 E350 4matic
I just bought my clk350 and wanted to know if this was still an option. I want the a remote start for my car and if i can keep it in the oem key that would be great!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
yes on the clk
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM

C43 AMG
Whats happend with the W210/W208/W202 bypass?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM

2001 E430 Designo
W210????
Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM

ml450
there currently are no plans for a W210 interface. There are far too many modifications required to the vehicle, plus sacrificing a key, plus a standard remote start system to go with it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM

2008 c350 sport
can u pm the price for this remote starter kit?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Come on Eric! We know you guys sit around all day with straw hats sipping margaritas, watching the ladies walk by the shop window...
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM

ml450
Originally Posted by steven1888
can u pm the price for this remote starter kit?
The retail price is US$799 + installation.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
r class with keyless go... $2k labor ... glad you guys got the KG finder!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 PM

w211
help

i have an 03 w211 and i just had the smartkey starter installed but i want to add the iphone module to start the car by phone, which is the best one to get? and how much is it?:
Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
depends if yours is set up for viper or compustar. they range in price from 299-399 plus service.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
http://content.ll-0.com/globemotorca...i=020813085535 - How much?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey