Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

New amp/sub advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
New amp/sub advice

Just picked up a Kenwood DNX8120 for my CLK and from reading other W209 threads on upgrading to an aftermarket HU, I apparently have to ditch the OEM amp cause of the fiber optic wiring.

Anyway, since I don't know diddly about stereo systems, I was wondering if anyone could reccommend and good amps/subs.

I'm not looking for some competition bass, but kind of want a little bit harder, stronger, fuller bass than what I have in my H/K L7 system now. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist at some JL w6 in 10"-12". From the reviews I've read, I think either would fit the bill easily, quality and soundwise. Not sure about the enclosure yet either, but I'm hoping to preserve trunk space cause I drive ALL around SoCal all the time.

I just don't know what amp is right for me. I've looked on the jl website reading about how to properly power the subs etc... but I really don't know how to evaluate an amp completely. I want a brand new amp or a quality used amp for around $250-$350.

Right now, I listen to a lot club/dance music... house, electro, hip-hop, indie rock, etc... and I want some surround sound for my movies while I drive(for my gf of course).

So what is it that I really need to look for in my amp: brand, channels, RMS, etc? Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
I don't have any advice on the amp/sub, but congrats on the Kenwood DNX8120. It is one awesome Head Unit....
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
the best sounding woofer I have ever heard in a very small woofer enclosure is a Hertz Mille 10". Build the enclosure to .4 cu.ft. drop in woofer, sounds like you have 2 JL audio 12w6's in the vehicle.

JL has some good stuff, I have done a lot over the years with them... just the Hertz line has better speakers all the way around www.hertzaudiovideo.com
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
take the Mille experience tour (download) I recommend it to anyone that is looking for great sound... too many of us here think that dropping a set of 6x9's in a vehicle for $30 off of eBay is better than factory... or an improvement of sound quality. Not!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
waddup astropat
haha and thanks for the help jbondox.

anyways. I currently have 12"w6 sitting in my trunk. I havent wired it up yet. but im looking to get a alpine amp that can produce 500rms (optimum performance for the w6) and a cap so i wont drain my battery when i have it hit hard. i like teh same music but keep in mind, we are gonna have to dynamt the trunk too for having a sub in there. haha. if you wanna save space, you might wanna get a shallow mount? OR what i considered doing if i have funds is to have a custom fiberglass encloser on the side of the w209 trunk on one side and the amp on the other. haha iono im thinking about how to set it up and everything i'll keep you posted on my progress. keep me updated on yours too.

btw congrats on the HU, thats the one i plan to get. lol

B. Heng
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
bheng, the cap isn't going to do anything for you, especially stop you from draining your battery. trust me on this one.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Astropat...I've had a great experience with JL13TW5...it is a low profile 13" sub that needs very little enclosure space. I have it in my passenger footwell (where stock Bose enclosure was) and it hits...HARD and DEEP!

The only other advice I can give you is always over power your speakers...for example I am pushing the 13TW5 with a JL 1000/1...you can always ratchet back the gains. From experience, speakers hate being underpowered and then you asking them to play at high volumes...POW...blown speaker.

My front stage are all Focal...pricey but worth it! Also, all the sound processing is handled by the DNX8120...great HU!

Here are the threads on the build...you can go as crazy as you want but make sure you get a audio installer you can talk to and has references. These cars can be complicated and you don't need a hack touching your ride.

SL65 Install
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-finished.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...de-thread.html

E55 Install
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-lot-pics.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...o-surgery.html
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
jbondox,
I thought the point of a cap was so that it wont drain your cars power(battery). I have a friend that installed his woofer and his headlights would flicker or turn off or hsi entire car would shut off because...i dont know why. i thought it was because he didnt use a cap. albeit, he doesnt drive a benz so i guess it might be different. what are you experiences and point of a cap then? im in the learning process so soorry for all the questions and thanks a ton for all the help. lol.

oh and would i need to dynamat my trunk as well?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM

CLK 320
Thanks for all the advice guys!

AMGfan, I actually really like the JL13TW5. If I could find a good deal on one, I'll probably grab it. I like the idea of using the stock sub space since I don't plan on showing off my system anywhere and I really need my trunk space.

I wish I wasn't at work, so I could check out the Hertz system and AMGfan's pics of his setup. I'll definitely give them a look later, but am definitely gaining a lot more insight by reading that thread.

Bheng, I saw a guy set up a 12" w6 with an Alpine MRP-M500, but I didn't hear how it sounded... I saw a couple of those amps on craigslist for like $70.

I don't think the stock H/K L7 speakers are terrible, but I do think they need more power. So far I know that after I decide on a Sub (or find a great deal), I'll need at least two amps: one straight to the sub (500-1000/1) and another for the speakers. I heard some people power the speakers through the headunit, but a friend of mine told me to stay away from that. What's a good amp to power my stock speakers? If I don't like the way the sound, I'll probably spend the money afterwards and upgrade the speakers later. I don't HATE the H/K L7 stock speakers, but I do think they need some more umph for lack of a better term.

When looking for amps, what really distinguishes one amp from the next aside aesthetics? What specs aside from watts/RMS, channels should I pay attention to?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
well for the sub, i would suggest getting a class D mono amp if your just gonna use the amp for the sub.
im not sure about the speakers tho... =/
also i think the only thing that really tells an amp apart is a brand name.. i think lol. i think im probably going to stick with either alpine or JL for the amps.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
i dont mean to double spam. But jbondox, i just realized one thing. my HU is stock. Therefore its fiber optic -_-. should i be worried about installing new subs. i think the wiring is differnet, correct? how do i fix that? lol
Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
bheng, you'll be fine, you can grab the signal off the rear speakers for the woofer if you want

you need to really catch up on your 12v info though... may I suggest this site for you?
http://www.caraudioenthusiast.com/forums/

Your friends car with the dimming light is just poor installation, poor wiring, or poor factory electrical system... I opt for the first 2
Old 06-27-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
haha another newbi question but how would i do grab the signal off the speakers, will that change the quality of sound from the rear speakers?

i just registered so im waiting to be added on the site. I will be sure to do a lot of reading from the site.
and yeah im opting for the first option. lol.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
It will not mess with the sound of the speaker that is tapped. it will be wired in parallel and has a high resistance. Just make sure the wires are insulated from each other and the tapped wires are done so in a way that the factory wires are not compromised and the connection will last problem free for many years. Splice back the insulation and solder the wires that are going to be used as the signal to them, tape with some really good electrical tape, such as 3M super 33+ or the EISA (sp) cloth tape that can be found at all MB dealers ($12-$15) roll
Old 06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Also that site is set up by the owner of Arc Audio, very very very knowledgeable people on there... well the pool is a bit dirtied with my presence, but they needed a comic relief
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM

CLK 320
Just an update, I got some good deals on some JL stuff. I picked up the Class D 500/1 amp and a 450/4 amp. I'm close to wrapping up a deal on a used 10w6v2 in a sealed box also. Not really sure how I'm going to configure it all yet. Don't know if it's possible to replace the H/K sub with the 10w6 or if it's best to keep it in the box and just sacrifice the trunk space.

At any rate, the parts are all finally trickling in... got my HU, dash kit, the pac swi-x, pac swi-can2, 2 different jl amps and lastly the sub... can't wait to get it all installed.