Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Surround Audio enjoyment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
Surround Audio enjoyment?

Hi There,

I record and mix records up here in Canada for a pretty wide variety of artists and styles of music, but I'm curious how many of you folks are taking advantage of the DTS and/or DVD-A multichannel music playback in your MB?

I'm in the process of finishing up a few projects that will be authored in either the SurCode DTS-HD system, or possibly in a Blu-Ray Audio-Only format.

I'm finally at the stage where I can test some masters in a C-Class or an S-Class sedan, and I'm sure the Logic®7 upmix DSP will add a bit of it's own flavour as well...

Anyone enjoying surround in the car? The Steely Dan 'Goucho' surround disk is spectacular for example... Queen's 'A Night At The Opera' is wild... Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' is stunning.

Just curious!?! What do you WANT to hear?

Cheers, eh?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
i actually just listened to steven wilsons 'insurgentes' in the S and it sounds pretty damn good. Thats about the only recent album that i can think of where they bothered to do a surround mixdown. I also record music though not professionally (adobe audition and such) and picked up the old 'listen to the mix in the car' trick from various producers that i have worked with. Before that i had never realized how many albums were mixed specifically to sound good in cars. The problem with alot of the recent surround releases are that its more of an afterthought than an actual remix: e.g. the producer simply specifies what is essentially a pro-logic mix of the stereo mixdown (delay front tracks to back by a few milliseconds and sum L+R and highpass filter to create front center channel) I for one would like to hear more actual well thought out complete remixdowns specifically for 5.1 but i have a feeling that the economics of most production jobs does not allow it.

Anyway to answer your question, start with the prog rock crowd... bands like rush and tool and yes where the listener has disposible income and is willing to pay more for something that sounds great.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM

2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
I don't know how many titles are actually just a poor man's surround upmix, but there's certainly some AMAZING DVD-A and SACD disks out there.

I hear you though, Rob. The Prog Rock and Jazz markets are more likely to be appreciative of some really nice 5.1 remixes. We just finished a live 5.1 mix a while back from a Klaatu reunion show. As of right now, only the Stereo versions have seen release, but talk about a band that is PERFECT for 5.1 in your car!

I have 5.1 mixes in the can for some pretty top level Canadian Jazz artists that would be great for the MB crowd, but I have to convice someone to let me create an outlet for them...

I'm in the process of creating a DTS 5.1 demo disk to try and convince the corporate powers-that-be, to let me release this stuff in some form.

Anybody else actually digging surround titles in the car, or mostly stereo Audio CD's?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
dts and 5.1 recorded music would be pretty cool on the newer HK systems that support the DD and DTS. I see a lot of obstacles, but hey we all can wish

good luck with your project
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
I'm all for improved fidelity, but I'm wondering if center channel surround sound is the right way to go. Afterall, God gave us two ears, not 3. With the right stereo soundstage (midrange and tweeter in front of the driver and passenger) is there anything to gain from surround sound?

Last edited by neilbo75; 08-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.