Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Any experience with ebay VIM module for US spec cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experience with ebay VIM module for US spec cars?

Does anybody have any experience with using a VIm module from ebay from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-IN-MOTION-Me...3286.m63.l1177

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTER...fAudioQ5fVideo

I would like to use it on a 09 GL with NAV, which i believe has what is called NTG 2.5

specifically, will it work with US specs? i emailed him and he said he usually sell to europe market but he thinks it should work. It is much less than from midcity.

Last edited by superflysocal; 08-18-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
if you can wait a few days i believe we are going to be putting together a group buy type promotion for MBworld members only. Its going to cover vim modules and we should be able to get everyone a nice discount for this promotion.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
you would think that instead of caving to the dollar you would tell them more about why your product is so much better now it looks like you have been over charging everyone who bought prior to this post.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Then on the same note, the OP has an 09GL and wants to save a buck, but can't get a straight answer from where he wants to buy it from in the UK... although he knows the Midcity piece works flawlessly....
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by jbondox
you would think that instead of caving to the dollar you would tell them more about why your product is so much better ....

Thats actually a really good point... You can compare ours vs. thiers in the pics below...

Interestingly enough it turns out that even though the knockoff vims are coming from europe , the boards are actually made in china which means that they do not conform to the same modern standards that every other piece of equipment in your benz does.

Our interface modules offer the following benefits:

1. Machined aluminum case: shields the internal electronics and limits RF emmisions.
2. Factory connectors: we use original oem suppliers for all connectors.
3. ISO9001 production: our assembly is certified held to the highest standards.
4. RoHS compliant: we do not use lead in any of our parts.
5. Surface mount technology: machine assembled for high reliability.
6. Environment tested: everything is tested from -60 F to +150 F
7. Vehicle tested: we actually test in *every* production model available
8. Support: we have dedicated staff that you can call 5 days/week for support.
9. Made in the USA: All of our production is US, made here in Illinois. Your money stays in the country.

So there are a few reasons why we hope that everyone would consider our interface products... We are however sensitive to the fact that members here are looking to get a better deal if they can which is why we working to arrange a special group buy on specific products. Right now that depends on our ability to negotiate better pricing with our suppliers for individual components and that is what we are working on currently so we can pass those savings on. (This is what we did a year ago with the W204VIM and everyone here still gets the better price)
Attached Thumbnails Any experience with ebay VIM module for US spec cars?-2009-midcity-catalog-photos-03.jpg   Any experience with ebay VIM module for US spec cars?-generic-vim.jpg  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
They look pretty much the same that must **** you off. Do you guys not hold patents for your products?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Yugos only
We don't recognize your stinkin' patents!

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
They look pretty much the same that must **** you off. Do you guys not hold patents for your products?
Having taken a number of law courses on international intellectual property I can tell you that Red China and other Far Eastern countries have a very loose attitude about US and EU patent protection.

We see this in DVD and CD copying, fake Guccis, etc. Ever since LORAL supplied classified missle technology to Red China they are not only co-opting our manufacturing capability (I applaud the fact your product is made in Illinois!) but also our intellectual property. Poor anemic USA and EU!

One Far Eastern rule and practice is that, even if a system is covered by a, say, EU patent, if a Chinese company supplies a part, it can assume all of the (EU) intellectual property can be patented in China by the supplier.

I should stress that Taiwan as a rule is very respectful of out patent protections (there are a few bad apples everywhere!) so I am not painting with a broad brush.

What is perplexing to me is that many US law schools welcome these students from countries that do not recognize our patent protections in their intellectual property programs. These students are often already attorneys or judges in their home country so they are quite sophisticated. They tend to keep to themselves and only speak English in the classroom. Many will not participate in study groups with non-countrypersons. Orders from the home country? If you raise these issues with the Dean you are branded a racist.

Chairman Mao: "Learn and attack the contradictions in your enemy's position."

Last edited by ivanj; 08-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
when comparing both modules, how many ways to skin a cat? it is a CAN signal that is being manipulated. I seen someone remove the gear selection wire to a toggle switch for a $1 VIM.

I trust Rob and his products, I can say I used a lot of them and they always work 100% of the time.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I know china wouldn't care about them I thought there would however be a law not allowing it to be sold in the USA. Thanks for the info/write up
Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Yugos only
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I know china wouldn't care about them I thought there would however be a law not allowing it to be sold in the USA. Thanks for the info/write up
Having a law and enforcing a law are two different things. Our border is a sieve - haven't you figured that out yet?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Any update on the group buy from Midcity?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by rob13572468
if you can wait a few days i believe we are going to be putting together a group buy type promotion for MBworld members only. Its going to cover vim modules and we should be able to get everyone a nice discount for this promotion.
Ready to buy the VIM module so I can hookup rear monitors for the kids. Any news on the Group Buy?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by cyeung65
Ready to buy the VIM module so I can hookup rear monitors for the kids. Any news on the Group Buy?
I don't think you need this if you are only hooking up rear screens, it is for the front screen. The rear screen (or video aux) should not be limited to video in park only.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by superflysocal
I don't think you need this if you are only hooking up rear screens, it is for the front screen. The rear screen (or video aux) should not be limited to video in park only.
Thanks - but my understanding is that unless you have the rear entertainment pre-wiring option, which I unfortunately do not, then you need to buy a harness and have the system recognized (VAG). The convenience of controlling the DVD player while in Drive - not possible with the factory set up - is also appealing.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:43 PM

oh, i didn't know you don't have prewiring. It's amazing that any MB suv leaving the factory doesn't come with rear entertainment prewiring....they should make it standard.

Some of the things that MB consider should be "optional" is ludicrous on a 60k+ car like the GL. I looked over in a parking lot and saw a wood steering wheel in a Buick! But not in my GL.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport LOADED
Are there any group buy W204VIM from midcity going on now? I want it mad, for VIM and hooking up laptop