Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Latest iPhone integration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm driving a 2003 CL600 - love it.
Latest iPhone integration

I just got a new 03 CL 600 (and I love it) and I wanted to be able to integrate my iPhone for music and phone.

I've read posts about the Denison Gateway, and others, but they all seem to have some compromises. Most of these posts are a few years old.

Is there any new technology now that allows us to integrate iPhones to our MB? So that we can read our playlists and music on the car screen, and use the controls in the car?

I also would like to use the hands free car phone. The car comes with the original Motorola handset. I found a reference in the manual to connecting the iPhone with Bluetooth to the car phone, but I don't think I have the same Moto phone that is in the book.

I live in the San Fernando Valley by LA. Does anybody know a good shop around here that might be able to steer me right?

Appreciate the help.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The information in https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2788377 and https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...mentation.html is still current. The D2B data bus that your car has is proprietary to MB and had a very limited market; as a result, folks aren't falling all over themselves to invent new devices for it.

You may already have checked InCarTronics and mObridge - most of their offerings are for the MOST bus, D2B's successor and an industry standard; but you may find something. No device will read out on your COMAND screen - it is a D2B COMAND limitation (as well as a limitation on all AudioXX head units, whether D2B or MOST).

One other option is complete replacement of COMAND and your audio/phone system with something like the Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine nav/DVD/Bluetooth units widely available and covered in many forum posts.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-12-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks Skylaw. I was afraid of that.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Kudos to Skylaw. Absolutely brilliant with this stuff.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Skylaw, if one replaces the Command system with one of the other systems, does one loose all the other functions of the Command? Like the factory settings, auto mirror folding, m/p/h, consumption, fuel left etc? Do all the steering wheel functions disappear?

Isn't the Command system more than just music and nav?

And last but not least, don't you get tired of answering all the questions, that if one just read all the posts one could find the answers?

Keep smiling,
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
COMAND only deals with your nav, audio and phone functions.

If you replace COMAND you may or may not lose your steering wheel controls for nav, audio and phone; there are adapters sold that will restore those functions with some 3rd party units (but I don't keep track of them).

You will not lose your instrument cluster readouts, or most of the functions on the multifunction display (except for those related to nav, audio and phone). I have no idea what you will see on the MFD for a 3rd party system.