Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Startec Integrated Phone System...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Startec Integrated Phone System...

Hi all,

Just purchased CLK 430 year '01. I guess it has Startec Phone System integrated but i would like to know if i can put that system in use by switching it to another system. I have iphone and i would like to have the ability to use the dashboard for phonecalls and whatever i can do with it.

If i have to purchase additional things, please let me know where and whats the cheapest option.

Please be nice with me since i'm new to this
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Assuming you're in North America (based on the StarTac phone; you didn't tell us where you are located, but you should), see https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ml#post2788377 for how to upgrade your phone system, and https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...mentation.html for adding an iPod. You would need both systems to add an iPhone and use it for both music playback and handsfree phone. For the Gateway 500 device, you will need the D2B version.

You can Google InCarTronics and mObridge - but your car must have units that are compatible with the D2B fiber optics bus, and most of what they have is for the MOST system.

None of the units mentioned will display song title, artist, or album on a COMAND screen or head unit; only the MOST based COMAND units will display that. It's a head unit limitation. However, the Gateway 500 does allow you to make selections on the iPod (the iPod/iPhone controls remain active); and in most cases it also allows you to keep your CD Changer, if you have one.

There are other solutions - less expensive - but FM rebroadcast units offer poor sound quality for music, and plug-in Bluetooth units garbage up the car and do not integrate with your head unit or steering wheel controls.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-11-2010 at 11:38 PM.