Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Satellite Radio Antenna Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Satellite Radio Antenna Help

Have a '04 S55, factory installed in Sirius Receiver with an aftermarket antenna mounted on the rear shelf close to the sunshade. I am getting poor reception after trying 2 antennas. Is the only option to get a factory trunk mounted antenna? Please advise, I have seen many installations with the antenna mounted on the rear shelf or dash and work fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:34 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by abhatti55
Have a '04 S55, factory installed in Sirius Receiver with an aftermarket antenna mounted on the rear shelf close to the sunshade. I am getting poor reception after trying 2 antennas. Is the only option to get a factory trunk mounted antenna? Please advise, I have seen many installations with the antenna mounted on the rear shelf or dash and work fine.
It depends on your location. The rear parcel shelf will work adequately if you drive in an area that has decent local repeater coverage. If you dont then it means that the antenna must have unobstructed view of the SAT which is difficult through glass. Try moving the antenna to the inside of the induction cowl on the hood (one side has unused space) where it can be hidden and still be open to the sky.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
place under under the vent on the hood... lazy people put em on the dash and rear deck lids... where they don't work right... seriously, we have shark fin antennas for a reason.... reliable operation!