Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

AV Quality of TV-Tuner AV vs RGB Adapter for Comand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C240/6
AV Quality of TV-Tuner AV vs RGB Adapter for Comand

I need to display audio/visuals in my comand (no need for broadcast TV, or anything else) from only one source. I know that megacomm and others sell an RGB adapter that allows this. I also know that the MB OEM TV-Tuner allows two audio visuals plus broadcast TV. It is also at least twice as expensive as the RGB adapter and harder to install. My question has to do with A/V QUALITY. Does the RGB provide the same quality image as the OEM TV-Tuner's AV input? Would appreciate comments on this, particularly from someone who has experienced both. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2003, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.............the TV tunner is not any harder to install than the adapter. Depending on where you buy it from, the adapter can be more expensive than the tunner. The tunner also has two AV inputs and although you dop not need to at this tiome, you can watch TV in the future. The adapter costs $350Euros which is less expensive than a new MB Tv tunner. German ebay has many Mb Tv tunners for way less than 350Euros. As far as picture quality, I have used both and think the quality is better with the tunner, but not by much. You also have menus for adjustment of sound and i believe picture quality with the tunner but not with the adapter.

Ted
Old 03-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C240/6
Ted,

Thanks for the reply. You say the TV tunner is not harder to install. Don't you have to mount it in the trunk with a specialized bracket and route cables and things to the comand? Compared to the RGB which you just place behind the comand? In other words, I feel comfortable installing the RGB adapter on my own, whereas I have no clue as to how to route cables from the trunk to the front without ruining the car...

Being able to control sound and picture is a plus, though.

Will the RGB adapter work with NTSC?

Also, is it possible to listen the the TV/AV or RGB sound source while the screen is doing something else (e.g., navigation)? The AV source I want to use is an MP3 player which shows current and songs to come, and provides user interface to search for songs and select playlists etc, in the Comand screen. But then you may want to just listen to the music while you display something else in the comand screen (and switch to display the mp3 player to change music, etc.) . Is this possible?

My current sources put the RGB adapter at $250-$275 (to be verified), and the TV-Tunner at $525 (including the $75 cable). Both are new. Price for TV-Tuner is competitive with what I have seen on ebay. Price for RGB adapter needs to be confirmed.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.................I see your concern. However, if you do not plan on installing Tv aerials to watch TV, the TV tunner simply plugs into the comand and can be placed anywhere. It is probably too big to be be placed behind the Comand but I have seen it placed underneath the passenger footwell, and no mounting is needed. If you plan to instal TV aerials,. then the tunner will need to be in a more stategic location such as in the right or left rear quater panel or the trunk.

...............You cannot watch something else or listen to something else while listening to the sound from either the TV tunner or the RGB adapter. The oonly exception of course is that you can watch the navigation map while listening to the audio from the TV button. This will be the case for either TV tunner or the adapter. Your Tv button (or blank button in USA) will simply function as another audio source but with video as well. If you depress the TV button, then all AV function of the Comand comes from whaever you plugged into the Comand.

................I am pretty certaion about the price of the adapter because I purchased one last year from Megacome.

Ted
Old 03-27-2003, 07:14 AM

2000 CLK 320
Several things need to be addressed:

First of all, to have AV functions while the car is in motion requires the disengaging of the TV locks. This is not a simple task. You either need to find a dealership that has a certain version of the STAR software that interfaces with the D2B system that will disengage the TV locks or talk to Richard (from UK) regarding some software he wrote.

Second of all, if the TV locks are disengaged then im thinking the audio source from the MP3 player can be connected to both the Auxilliary and the Audio input of the adapter of the TV tuner or adapter. Can anyone confirm if the auxilliary will work when the COMAND is in NAVI mode? If it is, then audio will still be played and the TV function can be pressed, while still playing audio through the audio input, and MP3 navigation can be done.

Jules, I am interested in the adapter with the prices you quoted. If you confirm those prices then let me know so I can purchase one also. By the way, what kind of MP3 player are you planning to hook up with the COMAND.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:23 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C240/6
Aux will work while navigating.

I am using a Rio Car / Empeg, connected to an iPaq with a TV-Out card. The iPaq has software that presents a user interface to the Empeg on the comand.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

..............the post was about quality of AV input between the adapter and the Tv tunner. Dissengaging the safety interlocks was not addressed by the post. But that too can be done and there several ways to do that.

....................yes the Aux input from the Comand does work with the Navigation on. If you press TV, the AUX stops working and sound comes from the TV. this not theory on my part. I have this set up. Basically, you have the opportunity for only one audio source from the Comand.

Ted
Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM

2000 CLK 320
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

..............the post was about quality of AV input between the adapter and the Tv tunner. Dissengaging the safety interlocks was not addressed by the post. But that too can be done and there several ways to do that.

....................yes the Aux input from the Comand does work with the Navigation on. If you press TV, the AUX stops working and sound comes from the TV. this not theory on my part. I have this set up. Basically, you have the opportunity for only one audio source from the Comand.

Ted
I thought he might have missed the issue of the safety interlocks so I brought it up. How did you disengage the TV interlocks for you COMAND? Also, do you know if aftermarket amps can be used with the COMAND? I want to take out the stock bose amp/sub/speakers and replace it with aftermarket products. Thanks...
Old 03-30-2003, 02:10 AM

when I got my subs installed with my stock radio, they used a hi/low converter to make it all work. Sounds great, works great but I WANT MORE!