Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2010 Comand Nav "off map"...Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c 300 sport
2010 Comand Nav "off map"...Help!

I recently purchased an 2010 C Sport and lastnight I noticed my Nav was indicating that the vehicle was "off map" and the location was somewhere near the northeast (I am in Texas). Has anyone ever encountered this issue? if so, is there a fix or a way to reboot the nav?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Have you looked at the W204 forum? Quite some time ago I think there was a similar case. It was intermittent but then one part turned out to be faulty. I cannot remember if it was the antenna or the head unit or something else.

I find it odd that the location is that far off (is that a place where the Comand got the first fix in the US or anything like that), if the antenna was faulty, it should continue from the previously know location with "gyros" and would only gradually loose the actual correct location.

Have you checked how many satellites Comand can see?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:55 PM

2010 c 300 sport
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Have you looked at the W204 forum? Quite some time ago I think there was a similar case. It was intermittent but then one part turned out to be faulty. I cannot remember if it was the antenna or the head unit or something else.

I find it odd that the location is that far off (is that a place where the Comand got the first fix in the US or anything like that), if the antenna was faulty, it should continue from the previously know location with "gyros" and would only gradually loose the actual correct location.

Have you checked how many satellites Comand can see?
I need to first figure out how to check for Sats
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Displaying the number of satellites should be covered in your COMAND manual. Check page 58 (http://www.mercupgrades.com/manuals/...Y10-manual.pdf)

If the car was trucked from the Northeast to Texas, it may be necessary to leave the COMAND on and drive about for up to 30 minutes for it to relocate itself (at least, that was the case with some older units).

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM

2010 c 300 sport
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Displaying the number of satellites should be covered in your COMAND manual. Check page 58 (http://www.mercupgrades.com/manuals/...Y10-manual.pdf)

If the car was trucked from the Northeast to Texas, it may be necessary to leave the COMAND on and drive about for up to 30 minutes for it to relocate itself (at least, that was the case with some older units).

It has zero sats.

BTW, it corrected itself briefly yesterday as I was heading to the Airport but as on my way home it went off again. This time it showed I was at the other side of town. It appears to be an antenna issue?

Also, could I reset the system through the engineering menu?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It does appear to be an antenna problem; if so, it is a bad antenna or a bad connection; the engineering menu will be of no use fixing that.

Since it is doubtless under warranty, I'd let your dealer resolve it.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM

SLK350
This might be an odd question but did you have an SD card in the slot?

Assuming its an NTG2.5 due to the age of the car, it might be relevant.

There's seems to be an issue that the antenna loses sight of satellites when the SD card is in place.

I found this on mine and sent it away to be repaired of course with no fault found.

It has been talked about by a few people over on slkworld who have experienced the same problem.

I have now updated to the latest firmware but have been told that MB have still not managed to fix this entirely. Now I just use the media interface with the ipod and keep the SD slot empty.

One thing I do know is that it doesn't affect every unit, but if you have an SD card in the slot, try removing it.

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Adamantium

There's seems to be an issue that the antenna loses sight of satellites when the SD card is in place.

I found this on mine and sent it away to be repaired of course with no fault found.

It has been talked about by a few people over on slkworld who have experienced the same problem.

I have now updated to the latest firmware but have been told that MB have still not managed to fix this entirely. Now I just use the media interface with the ipod and keep the SD slot empty.

One thing I do know is that it doesn't affect every unit, but if you have an SD card in the slot, try removing it.
I understood it would be a C-class W204 and then an NTG4 Comand but aren't these pretty similar HW anyway? It does not harm trying without the memory card inserted (this would have a PCMCIA interface and could have other memory cards but also and SD card).
Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 AM

SLK350
I wasn't aware of the PCMCIA, I presumed a 2010 C sport would be like a W204 in the UK meaning comand was NTG 2.5. Here that means we only get the option of the SD card slot, assuming it's like all other NTG2.5s.

Only difference I know of is that the screen and the unit are separate.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wasn't aware of the PCMCIA, I presumed a 2010 C sport would be like a W204 in the UK meaning comand was NTG 2.5. Here that means we only get the option of the SD card slot, assuming it's like all other NTG2.5s.

Only difference I know of is that the screen and the unit are separate.
I may have got confused, are you actually talking about the W203 model, the UK Sports model that looks like the new 204 but is actually a 203? This 203 must have an NTG2.5 Comand.

I thought this was a US W204 car, I think they have Sport and Luxury or something like that, which is different from the Sport we have in Europe.

It would be useful to have sufficient info filled into the profile to avoid confusion like this.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM

2010 c 300 sport

No SD card in the slot. I took the car in last week for service due to this and was told no errors found. When i picked up the vehicle it was back as normal so i'm not quite sure what went on but has been good since. Hopefully it remains that way.