Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Media Interface Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Media Interface Plus

Has anyone installed the MIP in there cars? If so, has anyone upgraded to software? My question is this, I've done both, but can't for the life of me get the email messages to appear in the COMAND. What am I doing wrong, the bluettoth is connected and everything. I have yet to try the text feature. Because I'm getting frustrated in this thing. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Having the same issues as well. Also, cant figure out how Pandora is supposed to work when connected via the cable. I am able to stream via Bluetooth but not when the iPhone 4 is physically connected.

Maybe somebody on this forum can post a detailed how to with regards to pairing an iPhone to the Command system including the Media Interface Plus.

Thanks in advance!

Marvin
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've done some digging around, and got some information from Mercedes themselves. Currently only Blackberry phones running OS6 with MAP (Messaging Access Profile) support the email/texting functionality. MAP has thus far not been implemented by any other manufacturer including iPhone, but will become industry standard in the near future.

And I learned that Pandora will only work when connected by the Interface cable through the MIP (Media Interface Plus). I will have to try this, as I've always just streamed the audio. But if you can stream audio you don't need to activate Pandora through the COMAND. I am dissappointed that the text/email feature isn't functional with the iPhone at present.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I tried also with the HTC HD7 Windows 7 phone hooked to it in a 2011 S... no go, the MIP will charge it but access to the Zune library is only done via A2DP BT streaming... song up/dn

Oh well... same with the Porsche Panamera and the Porsche Cayenne 2011
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well Pandora works like a charm, when connected to the MIP via the cable. I can display the artist and title through the COMAND, and can control the next selection through either the COMAND in the instrument cluster. You can also stream via the bluetooth option if desired. I just wish that the email/text feature worked as well. But overall, I'm quite happy with it, so far.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
mcw

2008 SL 63 AMG R230
am thinking of doing the MIP for my R230 NTG 2.5

can someone advise
1) can i get video from ipod touch when the MB ipod cable connected to MIP to Media Interface? do i need extra cables?
2) email / sms reading from blackberry via bluetooth pairing to Media Interface? ( as in my normal setup the Media Interface will be cable connected to ipod touch

tks
Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think this link will be able to answer all your questions.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...ts/accessories

There is a spreadsheet in here that tells you the capability of the MIP in each model Mercedes.

But to answer your question, provided that you have either the P01 or P02 package, then yes you should be able to get video from your iPod connected to the MIP via the cable. And the same for your second question, provided that you have the packages, as the Blackberry is the only phone that currently will work for text and emails with the MIP. Apple doesn't currently support it. Currently only Blackberry phones running OS6 with MAP (Messaging Access Profile) support the email/texting functionality. MAP has thus far not been implemented by any other manufacturer including iPhone, but will become industry standard in the near future.

Last edited by Yuille36; 01-26-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM
mcw

2008 SL 63 AMG R230
hi there, ned a help, got the MIP and the video cable but am having a bit of problem with the setup.

As a recap of the status / what have been done so far

MIP now bluetooth-paired with Comand
MIP now bluetooth-paired with my Blackberry 9780
Comand now bluetooth-paired with my Blackberry 9780

Speakerphone / Linguatronic now works with Blackberry 9780 via Comand
Blackberry 9780 will be simultaneously connected to Comand and MIP
The old Media Interface cable is allowing the iPod Touch 1st Gen / iPhone 4 to connect to MIP, but only audio and no video ( even at Video Aux )

But
1) The new video Media Interface cable is not allowing the iPod touch 1st Gen / iPhone 4 to connect to MIP . “ Device not connected ” warning and MIP will also not work when connected with video cable ( Media Interface > and “ MUSIC ” will be GREY OUT )

2 ) SMS reading / email reading out are occasional working with my Blackberry 9780 ( OS 6 ), sometime “ content protection is displayed” and also “ no messages avail ” despite new message arrives, and manually force “ refresh”, even with SMS read on and email read on

3) SMS reading / email reading is not automatic spoken, when new SMS / email arrives

any help appreciated
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by mcw
hi there, ned a help, got the MIP and the video cable but am having a bit of problem with the setup.

As a recap of the status / what have been done so far

MIP now bluetooth-paired with Comand
MIP now bluetooth-paired with my Blackberry 9780
Comand now bluetooth-paired with my Blackberry 9780

Speakerphone / Linguatronic now works with Blackberry 9780 via Comand
Blackberry 9780 will be simultaneously connected to Comand and MIP
The old Media Interface cable is allowing the iPod Touch 1st Gen / iPhone 4 to connect to MIP, but only audio and no video ( even at Video Aux )

But
1) The new video Media Interface cable is not allowing the iPod touch 1st Gen / iPhone 4 to connect to MIP . “ Device not connected ” warning and MIP will also not work when connected with video cable ( Media Interface > and “ MUSIC ” will be GREY OUT )

2 ) SMS reading / email reading out are occasional working with my Blackberry 9780 ( OS 6 ), sometime “ content protection is displayed” and also “ no messages avail ” despite new message arrives, and manually force “ refresh”, even with SMS read on and email read on

3) SMS reading / email reading is not automatic spoken, when new SMS / email arrives

any help appreciated

Maybe you should email them and tell them what crap support they have... just an idea
Old 03-09-2011, 01:39 AM

2009 GL450, 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Triumph Speedmaster
Purchased MIP for my 09 GL450. I paired it with my iPhone4 and I got it to work in the following ways:

1) Video worked, but only to Comand not to RES (this is a useless feature since you will not be driving an watching)
2) Streaming Audio worked occasionally
3) Pandora worked occasionally
4) SMS/Text did not work

Informed SA and they said the Comand needed software update. Got it updated and as a result this is what worked... NOTHING.
1) Streaming audio was even more intermittant
2) video stopped feeding to Comand and still would not feed to RES
3) Pandora stopped working
4) SMS/text still did not work

Comand update did give me Zagat ratings and lines for backup cam. Note: SA ran update at no charge.

Returned the unit to parts and while I was there my SA happened to be in the parts dept. He asked if it was working and I said no which is why I was returning it. I jokingly offered to give them my vehicle as a guinea pig so they can get it working and he actually took me seriously and said that he would get back to me once he talks to management.

I'll update if there is one. But, as it stands, the unit is not worth spending money on. This in no way reflects on the service I received from my dealership. I purchased the unit since it was a "plug and play" option and unfortunately the "play" part did not come to fruition.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Was MB 2009 E350 AWD. Now 2016 MB E350 AWD
...regarding newer iphones like the 3gs or 4, does anyone know if the MIP device will charge these devices w/o that small volt correcting adapter?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
We've come across a number of faulty Media Interface Plus iPod video cables now (all from the first batch of them we received)

Most of the faulty ones won't work at all if you plug them straight into the normal Media Interface socket. Others the video was cut-in cut-out all the time.

The working ones seem to have a silver blob of paint put on the back of the larger connector !!

Also, the couple of customers we've had with the blackberry have said that SMS isn't automatically read out always, and sometimes it doesnt work properly. I don't know if this is a dodgy cable or dodgy software in the MIP

Cheers

Richard
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Also, on the R230 SL, if you have TV option, the Media Interface Video is not supported (so MIP video won't work) - this is because the video input gets used by the TV tuner

Richard
Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM

i installed the MIP device this morning w/ my iphone 4. since i'm not a pandora user, the main benefit for me is the bluetooth audio streaming. after a few tries, the device was recognized by the comand center. streaming worked fine although you don't have full control of playlists, artists, etc... like if the ipod cable was used. it is also a distraction needing to use the iphone device itself for changing playlists or switching from songs to podcasts. too bad bluetooth streaming supported text (no artist nor song info appear on the display).

i'll try more features today and tomorrow. i'll type a brief report afer also confirming if the latest firmware is installed on the MIP.

Last edited by jaisonline; 03-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Minor update.

I installed the latest (as of 3/18/2011) MIP software & bootloader update from mbusa.com. My iPhone 4 still has IOS 3.2.

-when connected directly to the MIP, the phone still doesn't auto charge as advertised. Why MB?
-video out from iPhone doesn't work regardless whether I'm Bluetooth streaming or connected directly to the MIP. WHen connected to the MIP, the Comand does display video name and I hear sound. Then Comand voices tells me to use Video - Aux. I tried. No luck. No video despite being parked.
-Bluetooth audio streaming still works but no audio detail text like song name is displayed on Comand nor gauge cluster screens Additionally, it seems the MIP needs to be manually turned on each time after starting the car for it to wake up for streaming to begin. Why MB?
-As mentioned here already iPhone SMS and email are not displayed let alone read aloud.
-MIP firmware and bootloader software install process was pretty easy and straightforward. They just need need to be done independently.
-Pandora isn't working but I honestly haven't really read that portion of the instructions thoroughly.
- I haven't tried iPhone charging using the USB port. I hope tht at least works.

Last edited by jaisonline; 03-18-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 AM
mcw

2008 SL 63 AMG R230
Originally Posted by jaisonline

I installed the latest (as of 3/18/2011) MIP software & bootloader update from mbusa.com..
so your MIP sw version still

00.57 2 00.47
15 14 4

right?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 AM

Yes.
00.57 2 00.47
15 14 4
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM
mcw

2008 SL 63 AMG R230
tks, so its not really that new but the latest
Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by jaisonline
Minor update.

I installed the latest (as of 3/18/2011) MIP software & bootloader update from mbusa.com. My iPhone 4 still has IOS 3.2.

-when connected directly to the MIP, the phone still doesn't auto charge as advertised. Why MB? dunno
-video out from iPhone doesn't work regardless whether I'm Bluetooth streaming or connected directly to the MIP. WHen connected to the MIP, the Comand does display video name and I hear sound. Then Comand voices tells me to use Video - Aux. I tried. No luck. No video despite being parked. read manual as it clearly states you need a specific cable for this which is not included... and not available when I tried to order it last month
-Bluetooth audio streaming still works but no audio detail text like song name is displayed on Comand nor gauge cluster screens Additionally, it seems the MIP needs to be manually turned on each time after starting the car for it to wake up for streaming to begin. Why MB? dunno what you mean here, I just select what I want under media interface on the COMAND.-As mentioned here already iPhone SMS and email are not displayed let alone read aloud.manual says blackberry
-MIP firmware and bootloader software install process was pretty easy and straightforward. They just need need to be done independently.
-Pandora isn't working but I honestly haven't really read that portion of the instructions thoroughly.no issues with that portion
- I haven't tried iPhone charging using the USB port. I hope tht at least works should or your phone is messed.. j/k.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM
mcw

2008 SL 63 AMG R230
tks to richard of comandonline, finally received one media interface video cable ( replacing the original faulty one ) and now physically worked.

But the MIP sw is still very buggy even with latest sw 00.57 2 00.47 / 15 14 4

1) SMS reading / email reading out are occasional working with my Blackberry 9780 ( OS 6 )
- sometime " content protection is displayed", and
- " no messages avail " despite new message arrives,
had to manually force " refresh", even with SMS read on and email read on

2) SMS reading / email reading is still not automatic spoken out when new SMS / email arrives

Would be good if your other customers have similar experiences / workaround
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Question

i ordered the media interface last week and will pick it up today at the dealership.

i also ordered a video cable.

question - does it come with the USB cable that allows you to update the firmware?

i'm installing this in a 2010 ML350

thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
i have an iphone 4 w/OS version 4.3.1. i'll post results after install.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
installed media kit tonight.
iphone 4 has OS version 4.3.1 on it.
connected video cable to media kit (video cable has silver dot on the back).
updated media box to correct firmware version and bootloader version. settings ---> version displays latest version.
  1. media kit comes with usb cable (for software upgrade)
  2. media kit does not come with video cable. you have to order that in addition to the kit. mine came with the silver dot on the back.
  3. media kit authorization worked w/o issue
  4. noticed on my iphone that bluetooth is connected to both the mercedes phone system and the media interface
  5. video playback results in message from command saying go to video-->aux to view video. video only has dvd-video option only. music does play though (music video).
  6. pandora - does not work - keeps disconnecting from iphone (bluetooth symbol turns blue when in bluetooth settings, but turns white when pandora is running.
  7. have not tried bluetooth streaming yet.
  8. could not read sms messages
  9. could not read email messages

wondering if i need a command upgrade for some of these to work? this definitely is not turnkey.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
installed media kit tonight.
iphone 4 has OS version 4.3.1 on it.
connected video cable to media kit (video cable has silver dot on the back).
updated media box to correct firmware version and bootloader version. settings ---> version displays latest version.
  1. media kit comes with usb cable (for software upgrade)
  2. media kit does not come with video cable. you have to order that in addition to the kit. mine came with the silver dot on the back.
  3. media kit authorization worked w/o issue
  4. noticed on my iphone that bluetooth is connected to both the mercedes phone system and the media interface
  5. video playback results in message from command saying go to video-->aux to view video. video only has dvd-video option only. music does play though (music video). if you select VIDEO twice, the AUX menu comes up. video plays from iphone
  6. pandora - does not work - keeps disconnecting from iphone (bluetooth symbol turns blue when in bluetooth settings, but turns white when pandora is running.
  7. have not tried bluetooth streaming yet.
  8. could not read sms messages
  9. could not read email messages

wondering if i need a command upgrade for some of these to work? this definitely is not turnkey.
added comment - one issue fixed.
also, bluetooth streaming does work. you have to select it and then press next track to get it to engage.
tested on version 4.3 and 4.3.1 (iOS version).
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
more testing shows that if i try and use bluetooth to stream pandora to anything...it fails.

i tried with two computers. for these two computers:
iphone uses airplay to send audio via bluetooth to device.
sending music via ipod works just fine.
sending music via pandora fails.

which is consistent with mercedes device. seems error might not be mercedes device, but with pandora's integration of airplay into its iphone app.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Media Interface Plus