Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Media Interface Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2010 ML350
update....

pandora does work - if you connect it via the cable to the media link. apparently i missed that part in the instructions.
pandora also does work via bluetooth if you choose audio streaming and have the bluetooth app running. anything that has airplay enabled can be sent to the car this way.

email/sms does not work - but i'm glad and don't care.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Smile Summary - Missing Manual

I think the current firmware seems to work - but the instruction booklet really needs a few more details.
  1. Pandora - run pandora on your iphone and physically connect the iphone via the cable to the media link box.
  2. iPod video files - you need to go to Video twice so that you can choose Video AUX.
  3. Pandora via Bluetooth Streaming - Run Pandora, choose airplay output of Media box, then on mercedes screen choose streaming (not pandora).
  4. Bluetooth Audio Streaming - Connect your device (via BT), choose bluetooth streaming on mercedes, run ipod app and play songs, make sure airplay has media link box selected.
  5. email - no luck, but don't care
  6. sms - no luck, but don't care.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Was MB 2009 E350 AWD. Now 2016 MB E350 AWD
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
i have an iphone 4 w/OS version 4.3.1. i'll post results after install.

Hi,

Thanks for the cool posts. I have a few questions since I also have the same setup (phone & & MIP but w/o video cable).

How much did the video cable cost? Does it essentially replace the non-USB cable that comes with the MIP (meaning does it handle both video and MIP's typical music playback).

My iPhone 4 doesn't get charged with the MIP. does yours charge?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by jaisonline
Hi,

Thanks for the cool posts. I have a few questions since I also have the same setup (phone & & MIP but w/o video cable).

How much did the video cable cost? Does it essentially replace the non-USB cable that comes with the MIP (meaning does it handle both video and MIP's typical music playback).

My iPhone 4 doesn't get charged with the MIP. does yours charge?
glad i could help out.
  1. video cable retails for 60, but i got them to sell it to me for 30.
  2. it replaces the cable that is there w/o the MIP (the one with the ipod/iphone connector and the 1/8" jack for video).
  3. it handles both video and audio - i tested and both work. you just have to use an apple interface - otherwise just switch cables back if you want to do video through a non-apple product.
  4. my iphone charges through the MIP w/video cable.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM

glad i could help out.
  1. my iphone charges through the MIP w/video cable.
Did your iPhone 4 charge with the original MIP non-video cable?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Did your iPhone 4 charge with the original MIP non-video cable?
w/o the MIP connected, yes the original cable charged my iphone.

i never tried the original cable with the MIP though.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 AM

Cool MIP Third party Video

Hey gmdebruyn. I was wondering if MIP supports Third party Video like from let's say youtube, netflix or airvideo. If it supports all three then it's worth it for sure.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 PM

GLK 350, C300
Pandora and sms

Hey guys for all of you using iPhone 4. Pandora works just fine. There is a trick to it. Because your iPhone connects to "mi plus" As a Bluetooth device, it considers it a stereo Bluetooth speaker. So what iPhone does it automatically switches all audio on your phone to stream to that bluetooth speaker, (in our case "mi plus") Hence why you don't hear text messages, emails, lock and unlock sounds when using the phone connected to it, but only feel vibrations...
But here is where thing get complicated.. Unless you go to "playlists" and select "audio streaming" car blocks off "mi plus" or bluetooth speakers and reverts audio to work from the dock connector going out of your mip box, cd, radio, etc.. The car can't have both sets of speakers (wired once through cd changer, radio, iPod connector, etc and "mi plus" Bluetooth speakers) go at same time, cause in that case you could play your cd and stream music from your phone at the same time.. That would be a mess as you can imagine and no point to it... Playing 2 different songs on top of each other. So if you wanna use pandora while plugged into the dock. Do the following.

1. Launch pandora app on your phone.
2. Connect the phone to your dock connector.
3 double hit the home button on bottom of your phone so multitasking menu pops up. Scroll left twice, (means finger goes from right to left on the screen) you will get to a portion that shows a volume slider and a speaker selection
button.
4. the button should be blue on the inside meaning phone is streaming to the Bluetooth speakers which are not activated on the car since you are running this directly over a wire.
5. Hit the button and you will see that "mi plus" is selected as current speaker.
6 change the speaker to "dock connector" or "iPhone" ( don't remember which one pops up as an option)
7. Go to audio->playlist->pandora on the comand unit and select a station.
8. You should hear your music now.
9. Make sure you lock the phone after that so screen goes blank. If you don't when you receive a phone call pandora might not resume playing.

If audio cuts out repeat steps 3 through 9.. (iphone sometimes switches back to bluetooth speakers automatically) this all only takes a second even though it looks long above. I was just trying to go into as much detail as possible in case some people are not tech savy and just to help understand in general why this is happening.

As far as SMS and email.. It only works on certain blackberrys. No iPhone support yet.. Maybe in future updates..
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Considering GL
glad i could help out.
  1. video cable retails for 60, but i got them to sell it to me for 30.
  2. it replaces the cable that is there w/o the MIP (the one with the ipod/iphone connector and the 1/8" jack for video).
  3. it handles both video and audio - i tested and both work. you just have to use an apple interface - otherwise just switch cables back if you want to do video through a non-apple product.
  4. my iphone charges through the MIP w/video cable.
Do you have a MB part number for the video cable?
Many thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:29 PM

11 E550A Cabrio; 13 VW GTI Autob 14 FJ Cruiser, 14 Ural GearUp
So what's the bottom-line on MIP?

I'm a BlackBerry user and would like to have the text message feature but it appears the actual functionality is hit-or-miss.

Anyone have a MY11 E550A and uses a BlackBerry that can comment?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM

E350
Anyone purchase MIP for 2011 cabrio?

I searched and also reviewed MB literature on this accessory. Is this compatible with the 2011 cabrio P2 package? It does not show as such on the MB accessory web site (but it seems weird that it would not work). Wife wants to listen to Pandora through iPhone interface, but it will not work. Is that because we need to buy this accessory? Thank you.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Angry Media Interface Plus (MIP)

Hello,

Got a 2009 ML 350 4 Matic.
MIP works well with my phones - for using bluetooth audio streaming.
Don't have an Iphone, but my friend's integrated w. Pandora really well.
And yes - you do need a separate video cable to play videos.

My QUESTION is:
Has anyone out there tried to simply use the regular AUX cable to play music (with MIP connected)?
It's not working - music isn't coming out of the speakers.
The ipod cable does work.

However, when I disconnect MIP and hook the cable straight to the car (no MIP, so basic configuration) the AUX works....so I know the AUX in the car works, but it seems the MIP isn't allowing the AUX to work...

Was wanting to use the regular AUX with my regular MP3 player!

Anyone know what's up?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 AM
mcw

2008 SL 63 AMG R230
does anyone know if there has been any updated firmware from mb to improve feature / realiability yet?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 AM

i just checked mbusa.com and there still isn't a newer version than "00.57 2 00.47" w/ "15 14 4". it's been about 10 months now w/o an update.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 last night. Then had a pleasant surprise this morning.

When streaming audio from my iPhone to the car via Bluetooth, song info (title, artist, etc...) now displays on the radio. With ios 4.x, it just said something like Bluetooth Audio
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM

190E Cosworth; 2012 C250
2012 C-Class and iPhone 4s

Hi ... I've been unsuccessful so far in getting MIP to work with iPhone 4s and 2012 C250 (with 049/518 – iPod/ MP3 Media Interface). Without MIP, I can plug iPod into cable that came with car and have iPhone Bluetooth streaming Pandora. I can switch back and forth easily, but Pandora has to be controlled from iPhone and no Pandora information shows on car screen.

With MIP, if I follow instructions and plug iPhone into MIP (using the Media Interface Conumer Cable that came with car) I cannot access Pandora.

Also, I have never been able to complete "Authorizing the Media Interface Plus" procedure. When I follow intructions on page 5 (settings->Bluetooth->Bluetooth Device List->Update) and select Update, then the Comand system doesn't find the MIP.

Now, when I get green light on MIP, Comand tries "Activating Device" but just gets stuck there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Yes, for songs in iTunes the track info displays on command over bluetooth with ios 5 It also does for a few other music applications but does not for Pandora when listening to pandora over Bluetooth.
Of course, when ur phone is hooked up via the wire, pandora info and stations populate to your command.

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 last night. Then had a pleasant surprise this morning.

When streaming audio from my iPhone to the car via Bluetooth, song info (title, artist, etc...) now displays on the radio. With ios 4.x, it just said something like Bluetooth Audio
Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM

190E Cosworth; 2012 C250
Pandora over the wire

Johnnr ... Your comment "of course, when your iPhone is attached by cable, song info shows on screen" is the only reason I wanted the MIP to go between my iPhone 4s and the Comand system on my 2012 C250, but so far it's the one thing I cannot make happen.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
I'd give 1800 for Mercedes a call. It's their customer serv. #.
I'm wondering if the iPhone 4s can work well w. all your systems. It should, but you never know since 4s was just released.
We're you able to at least get to the part where your command asks for the mip password? (62872 I think)

Originally Posted by TurboMerc
Johnnr ... Your comment "of course, when your iPhone is attached by cable, song info shows on screen" is the only reason I wanted the MIP to go between my iPhone 4s and the Comand system on my 2012 C250, but so far it's the one thing I cannot make happen.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 PM

190E Cosworth; 2012 C250
Authorizing MIP

No, I have never been able to get to "enter password" step. The car won't recognize the MIP device.

Last edited by TurboMerc; 11-03-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 AM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Hey,
I don't think your car is compatible w. mip! C class is not on the list:

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/Matrix_7_1_2011.pdf

That's prolly why you can't even get mip paired w. ur car.

Best,
John
No, I have never been able to get to "enter password" step. The car won't recognize the MIP device.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 AM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
C class 2012, I mean. Not compatible...

Originally Posted by johnnr
Hey,
I don't think your car is compatible w. mip! C class is not on the list:

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/Matrix_7_1_2011.pdf

That's prolly why you can't even get mip paired w. ur car.

Best,
John
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 AM

190E Cosworth; 2012 C250
2012 C-Class and MIP compatibility

Johnnr ... I am coming to same conclusion. Merc parts guy ran my VIN and said "You've got compatible code" and Merc Customer Service says "it should work" but, you're right, the chart doesn't show it. Parts is encouraging me to return it and I probably will.

Actually, I'm doing okay having iPod hooked up to my car's media interface and audio streaming Pandora. I can switch back and forth easily using Comand controls and all I lose is on-screen Pandora song info and ability to change Pandora stations through Comand controls.

Maybe mid-year 2012 iPhone Interface Plus from Mercedes will be the perfect fit.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM

190E Cosworth; 2012 C250
The Mercedes-Benz iPhone® Interface Plus

The Mercedes-Benz iPhone® Interface Plus can be retrofitted from summer 2012. The free app will be available for download from the App Store at the same time. This is the MB Press Release:

Stuttgart/Frankfurt – Trendsetting ideas for the modern digital lifestyle, providing fun and entertainment for people on the go, are being introduced by Mercedes-Benz through its Genuine Accessories range at the IAA in Frankfurt. The Apple iPhone® is synonymous with fuss-free access to the digital world and to the wide range of attractive possibilities available there. And not only is it hip, it is also considered the most multi-talented smartphone around. With its iPhone® Interface Plus concept, Mercedes-Benz is able to enhance significantly the functionality of the communication and information system already installed in the vehicle, using the iPhone® as, amongst other things, an external media centre. At its heart is a control unit developed by Mercedes-Benz, which is neatly concealed in the glove compartment and fully integrated into the vehicle electronics. This means that the iPhone® screen can be seen on the display screen of the audio system, the audio signals are played through the car’s loudspeakers and the smartphone itself can be controlled through the car’s rotary pushbutton – a perfect example of successful integration. And of course all the time the iPhone® is connected to the control unit, it will automatically be recharging. The Mercedes-Benz app for the system is designed to be used safely and without causing distraction while on the move. Developed by Mercedes-Benz specifically for the in-car user, the app features a larger display that is ideally suited for use in the car, as well as numerous functions that make the most of the many capabilities of the trendy smartphone. The app offers:

Holistic integration of social networking throughout the product with features including “Like currently playing media” and “Share your current destination via Facebook and Twitter”
Ability to route to a destination with a click of a button, be it a Facebook event or a Google Local Search result or your Friends-on-Map
Always be on top of latest posts from Facebook and Twitter via text-to-speech
Seamless selection from on-board media using Cover Art and intuitive access to Personalized Radio or thousands of Internet Radio channels
Easy access to all contacts from phonebook and other social media sources including Facebook and Twitter
Access on-board media and your personal playlists
“Car Finder”, which guides you back to where your car is parked,
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM

ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
This sounds awesome! I will look it up. Hopefully it will be available for my car!
They stole my idea I was thinking car makers just need to have a way to pull all the phone displays into their control units thus eliminating all this redundancy. Might even eliminate need for navigation, since you can use navigation on the phone!
By the way I have noticed the Bluetooth music sound quality, while pretty darn good, isn't as good as when connected with wire. You should be able to Play pandora thru the wire. Just try opening pandora while connected and pressing play on the pandora App.

The Mercedes-Benz iPhone® Interface Plus can be retrofitted from summer 2012. The free app will be available for download from the App Store at the same time. This is the MB Press Release:

Stuttgart/Frankfurt – Trendsetting ideas for the modern digital lifestyle, providing fun and entertainment for people on the go, are being introduced by Mercedes-Benz through its Genuine Accessories range at the IAA in Frankfurt. The Apple iPhone® is synonymous with fuss-free access to the digital world and to the wide range of attractive possibilities available there. And not only is it hip, it is also considered the most multi-talented smartphone around. With its iPhone® Interface Plus concept, Mercedes-Benz is able to enhance significantly the functionality of the communication and information system already installed in the vehicle, using the iPhone® as, amongst other things, an external media centre. At its heart is a control unit developed by Mercedes-Benz, which is neatly concealed in the glove compartment and fully integrated into the vehicle electronics. This means that the iPhone® screen can be seen on the display screen of the audio system, the audio signals are played through the car’s loudspeakers and the smartphone itself can be controlled through the car’s rotary pushbutton – a perfect example of successful integration. And of course all the time the iPhone® is connected to the control unit, it will automatically be recharging. The Mercedes-Benz app for the system is designed to be used safely and without causing distraction while on the move. Developed by Mercedes-Benz specifically for the in-car user, the app features a larger display that is ideally suited for use in the car, as well as numerous functions that make the most of the many capabilities of the trendy smartphone. The app offers:

Holistic integration of social networking throughout the product with features including “Like currently playing media” and “Share your current destination via Facebook and Twitter”
Ability to route to a destination with a click of a button, be it a Facebook event or a Google Local Search result or your Friends-on-Map
Always be on top of latest posts from Facebook and Twitter via text-to-speech
Seamless selection from on-board media using Cover Art and intuitive access to Personalized Radio or thousands of Internet Radio channels
Easy access to all contacts from phonebook and other social media sources including Facebook and Twitter
Access on-board media and your personal playlists
“Car Finder”, which guides you back to where your car is parked,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Media Interface Plus