Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

"Media Interface Unavailable"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250
"Media Interface Unavailable"

Hi,

I have a 2012 C250 that I got in April - it's always worked fine with the cable to connect my iPhone for the music (I have a blackberry that I connect for Bluetooth).

All of a sudden yesterday it stopped connecting, and it either doesn't activate or after a while it says "Media Interface Unavailable" or "External Device Unavailable".

Any suggestions? I've tested it with other iPods and iPhones to no avail.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
sounds like a cable, if nothing else was serviced or changed
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM

2012 C250
Thanks for replying. Do you think that it's a cable even if the phone still charges?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
yes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM

2013 C300 4MATIC
I have the same problem...
I just got my car not even 2 weeks ago, brand new straight out of the dealer.
for the first couple days everything worked fine, but then all of a sudden it acted up exact the same way as your situation.
and when the phone is connected, it does charge, but once i go to my car computer and manually select "media interface", the phone would stop charging then start charging again, because everytime i do this i hear the charging sound coming from the phone lol

i did go back to the dealer, the salesman handed me another cable and let me test it out, but no luck..
so in my case i don't think it's the cable thats not working.

i just ended up using bluetooth for music...yes the quality isn't as good and the controlling is kinda weird...but im getting an iphone 5 this friday and i dont see the possibility for me to connect the phone to media interface anyways so i kinda just ignored the issue lol

i do hope u get yours fixed though, best of luck to you!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM

2012 C250
I made an appointment to go to the dealer to check it out, and of course, as soon as I made the appointment after 2-3 days of it not working, it miraculously fixed itself and I haven't had a problem since.

Very bizarre but who knows how this stuff works!

I think they have the iPhone 5 cables that you can get, non?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM

2013 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Momobobo
I made an appointment to go to the dealer to check it out, and of course, as soon as I made the appointment after 2-3 days of it not working, it miraculously fixed itself and I haven't had a problem since.

Very bizarre but who knows how this stuff works!

I think they have the iPhone 5 cables that you can get, non?

i dont know if they have the i5 cables or not...ill have to go to the dealer and ask for it i guess...which is fine since im bring the car in for a checkup on some other issue as well.

as for the i4's connection problem, im starting to think the issue occured either because the built-in adapter simply crapped out due to some manufacture defact, or maybe just because i've been dropping my phone too much LMAO...but certainly not the cable in my case.

i will go test out i5 connectivity IF the dealer gives me a cable to do so, will definitely keep u posted.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

2012 C250
Yes, please let me know! I want to get an iPhone5 but have been avoiding it partially because I need my music in my car and it's so convenient.

I hate dealing with the dealers because I am a girl and they always seem to think I am stupid so it's a pain in the ***
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM

2013 C300 4MATIC
I just got back from the dealer, and the media interface issue was resolved...
According to the mechanic, the problem is the cable..apparently when i purchased the car, the cable that came with the car was the wrong part number, so they gave me a package of cables that started with the part number 166 something.. And now it works again!!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM

GLK 350 2013
Originally Posted by HunterKy
I just got back from the dealer, and the media interface issue was resolved...
According to the mechanic, the problem is the cable..apparently when i purchased the car, the cable that came with the car was the wrong part number, so they gave me a package of cables that started with the part number 166 something.. And now it works again!!
Glad to know that there is some kind of fix for this. My phone worked and then it didn't. It's super annoying but at least there is hope. Phone is 1 day old and car is 2 months old.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I receive the same message intermittently. Sometime I start the car and is playing my songs in alphabetical order like it lost connection. Sometimes it starts where I left off. I have tried 2 different iPods (an old 20gb and a new 160gb) and an iPhone 4 and still have issues. It also occasionally skips for about a second. no one else notices it but me. I'll try my dealership for a new set of cables and see of that helps.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 AM

c180
I have the same problem. New c180 - iPhone 4 (and my work 4S) both plugged in and allowed me to play music fine for two weeks... now... "External device unavailable" on BOTH. so i need new cables... yeah?? Very annoying!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:07 AM

GLK350
Hello im having a simular issue with my 2013 glk 350 and my ipod. It was working fine yesterday but then it just stopped. I disconnected it and reconnected again. It came up with the song and artist, but with no sound then the "external device unavailable". I turned the car off thinking it would reset itself but no luck. Is this a cable issue or something else?? Frustrated as hell.

Thx for any help
Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 AM

E220 Estate
I have the same issue intermitantly. it seems to happen when the comand connects to the iphone if the iphone restarts, following starting the car from the iphone battery running out for example.

I then have to unplug the iphone, restart the iphone, open up the music app once the phone reboots and then plug it into the comand USB interface which seems to clear it. The iphone then connects fine.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM

2012 S550 AMG
External device unavailable

Originally Posted by laurenricho
I have the same problem. New c180 - iPhone 4 (and my work 4S) both plugged in and allowed me to play music fine for two weeks... now... "External device unavailable" on BOTH. so i need new cables... yeah?? Very annoying!
What did you end up doing? I bought a BoVEE BT audio streaming device and I keep getting the same message?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:56 AM

E220 Estate
Originally Posted by El Chabo
What did you end up doing? I bought a BoVEE BT audio streaming device and I keep getting the same message?
The only solution i found was:

1. unplug the iphone and switch it off
2. restart the iphone but dont plug it back in
3 switch off the comand system either via the ignition key or the on/off button
4. plug the iphone into the media module
5 switch the comand interface back on

always seems to clear the issue until the iphone runs out of juice then its repeat above.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:04 PM

S550
Media Interface Unavailable

2013 S 550: Persistent problem solved after I replaced one of the trunk mounted components. Diagnosed at the dealer for too much money. Part was absurd: $2700.00.
Replaced the component myself from a rebuilder in California for $500 plus $100 core charge refunded.
The trunk has a large array of components interconnected with fiber optic cables. One goes bad and the entire audio system is dead! :-(

Last edited by mrmgrybrd; 04-08-2021 at 03:59 PM.