Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Comand - Nav - Tv - Sat Radio - (2) Av Inputs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 320 and 2004 Porsche Cayenne
Comand - Nav - Tv - Sat Radio - (2) Av Inputs

What a treat (thanks to Steve). We got the US Comand with TV Tuner, NAV and additional AV inputs (all from Steve) and Sirius SAT radio hooked up and running beatifully in my 2004 CLK. Took it to the dealer and the dealer was impressed with the factory look and the features (not available through dealers). The TV works great with the antennas INSIDE the rear window lining (not visible) and the NAV works great with the GPS antenna hidden under the dash and same for SAT radio. In sum, no visible wires, equipment or antennas and everything that Steve sent works perfect. Thanks Steve for the assistance in installation and troubleshooting.

By the way, the TV is controlled through the steering wheel and shows the menus and channels in the IC display. Not Bad. . .
Old 09-06-2003, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
At least you could watch tv while stuck in traffic, but hopefully you would keep your eyes on the road instead if not. Post some pictures please.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:55 PM

Comand - TV

I will take pictures this week and post them.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:55 PM

03' 230K SS
comand sys

I hope to meet steve in OCT. I am having the comand put in, maybe the nokia phone kit, and now you have me wondering about the TV tunning as well. If I may ask, how much additional did you pay to get the TV working? I understand you have the US version? Did you have any problems with the dealer setting up you controls with the Display in the dash?

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:51 PM

TV

The TV was $750. The installation was $550 for everything including Sirius SAT radio, TV, NAV, Comand, all antennas and cabling.

As far as the dealer, no problem, except they forgot to activate the NAV menus in the instrument cluster and I am taking it back Monday.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

More info on Sat radio

Hi Richard,

I was wondering if you could provide more detailed information regarding the satellite radio install that Steve performed while installing your Comand unit. I contacted Steve to get more details on your install but his response was that he just "connected" the sat radio to your Comand unit.

I was interested in some specifics such as:

1) What satellite tuner did you purchase?

2) How was the unit mounted?

3) How was it connected to the Comand unit? (Aux input?)

4) How is the tuner controlled?

5) What is quality of the sound being produced by the sat radio through the Bose system?

If you have pictures of the satellite radio install would you be kind enough to post them?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide on your install. Sorry for the long list of questions.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:48 PM

Satellite Radio

Steve did not do my installation, although his assistance and instructions was invaluable. Installation was done by CarToys in Denver.

Answers:

1. Kenwood head unit and tuner

2. Small head unit inside glove compartment next to CD changer; Tuner under deck of trunk (almost against rear seats backing, antenna inside car on top of hat shelf (looks much better than factory install

3. Connected through Auxiliary input from C2

4. Remote control

5. Unbelievable. The dealership inspected the car and could not believe the sound quality as well as the quality of installation

I will be taking pictures of the whole set up possibly this weekend.

I am very happy with the whole setup and performance. The only drawback with the Sat Radio install is that being inside the glove box, to change chanels throught the remote, I have to open the glove box. This was by design because I did not want any non-MB component to show. Frankly is not a problem to open the glove box the few times I need to change channel.

The sound quality throught the Comand and Bose is incredible. Pure digital with lots of bass and treble.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Re: More info on Sat radio

Originally posted by Ttsakai
I contacted Steve to get more details on your install but his response was that he just "connected" the sat radio to your Comand unit.
nono...I replied that I did reconnect some sat radio's to comand's I installed again...but not in Richard's CLK...

greetingz,
Old 09-13-2003, 03:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Sat antenna location

Richard,

I was wondering if your satellite radio antenna was installed under the dash? All of the antennas that I have seen are roof mounted so if you have an under dash unit I certainly would like to know what product can function this way.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:27 PM

INSTALLATION

CHECK THE THREAD IN COUPES W209 WHERE I POSTED PICTURES OF THE WHOLE INSTALLATION.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Sat antenna location

Originally posted by Ttsakai
Richard,

I was wondering if your satellite radio antenna was installed under the dash? All of the antennas that I have seen are roof mounted so if you have an under dash unit I certainly would like to know what product can function this way.

Thanks for your assistance.
Almost all of them can function this way. A few dB of gain will be lost, but it should work fine especially if a high-gain unit is employed. Under the rear package tray is generally more suitable as the material is thinner and the larger rear window provides more "sky" for the antenna to see.

-s-
Old 09-13-2003, 06:35 PM

Under Dash antenna

The antenna under the dash works flawless. Have not lost any satellite reception, even downtown between buildings. It was not my idea...Steve suggested under dash installation.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
REALLY nice! i wonder if anyone knows anybody in california that can do this to my s class
Old 09-13-2003, 10:13 PM

Comand Install

I bought the whole setup from Steve. The installation was done by CarToys. Check your local CarToys shop or another high end radio shop.