Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

rear view mirror lcd screen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 e350 17 glc300
rear view mirror lcd screen?

ive been trying to lookup weather this item exists or not. ive seen some after market backup cameras that will display to the rear view mirror. are these rear view mirror displays a modification of the existing rear view mirror or are they custom made items? if these are replacement mirrors wouldnt you lose a lot of the fuctions that are tied into the mirror....ie..the garage door controls, blutooth mic...etc?

i would appreciate if anyone can give me some insight on this..

thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
These are aftermarket units. Some replace the rear view mirror, and some are designed to strap over your existing mirror. If you are trying to add a rear view camera to an exisitng car w/o command and you want to keep the existing rear view mirror, you can get a camera with a dedicated monitor. Another option is to replace the head unit of your radio with one with an aftermarket unit with a display that includes a camera input. The downside is that you lose the steering wheel controls.

Last edited by mistert2; 09-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM

06 e350 17 glc300
thanks for the reply..

i have a 2006 e350 with nav/comand and there is very little that can be done in terms of integrating the comand screen for backup cam/dvd...etc

there are companies that have kits the interface with the comand such as

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html

but they involve removal and taking apart the comand and installing a plug and play board inside. im not sure of the reliablity of these devices and have not really known anyone that has one, so ive always been reluctant in doing it.

if anyone has any experience with them, please chime in.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
Haven't tried these kits, my 2013 E350 coupe has command/navigation with an integrated rear view camera. But the tech looks sound. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by yikes
thanks for the reply..

i have a 2006 e350 with nav/comand and there is very little that can be done in terms of integrating the comand screen for backup cam/dvd...etc

but they involve removal and taking apart the comand and installing a plug and play board inside. im not sure of the reliablity of these devices and have not really known anyone that has one, so ive always been reluctant in doing it.

I have done many, but used the navtv setup. They have two versions, a diy and a send in modification. Talk to Derek there, the guy knows his stuff
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM

06 e350 17 glc300
Originally Posted by jbondox
I have done many, but used the navtv setup. They have two versions, a diy and a send in modification. Talk to Derek there, the guy knows his stuff
thanks for the reply...ill look into this
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
if you have Comand AND TV module, you can connect the camera to the Aux input in the TV module.
I did that ..but it does not give you the "auto-switch" function when you insert the reverse gear.
To get the auto-switch, you need one of those interfaces to be installed inside the comand. They work by just "intercepting" the video signal from the back up camera BEFORE any other video signal.

.. doing this soon !

thanks for the reply..

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
I also was looking into the same thing..
I am sure it can be done (keeping the stock rear view mirror) .. because it has been done !

as far as I understand it's a matter of getting the proper reflective thin film and fit it on the back of our stock mirror glass ...

ive been trying to lookup weather this item exists or not. ive seen some after market backup cameras that will display to the rear view mirror. are these rear view mirror displays a modification of the existing rear view mirror or are they custom made items? if these are replacement mirrors wouldnt you lose a lot of the fuctions that are tied into the mirror....ie..the garage door controls, blutooth mic...etc?

i would appreciate if anyone can give me some insight on this..

thanks