Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MP3 Audio KEG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SEC
MP3 Audio KEG

Anybody looking at installing an MP3 Hard drive unit?
Harmon Kardon has an Audio Keg that looks interesting. I just crave the idea of having over 4,000 tunes available at any given time!
Old 03-27-2002, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
most companys have a mp3 ready unit now. some have hd and others are just cd player/changers that can read cds encoded w/ mp3s. i know that alpine now makes a 6 disc changer that will read mp3 encoded cds. and i think it is cdr and cdrw compatible.

B
Old 04-08-2002, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ski Guru,

I think you mean the Kenwood Music Keg. It has a removable cartridge like a CD Changer, only it's a computer hard drive and can hold something like 20 or 30 gigs of MP3's.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:41 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Re: MP3 Audio KEG

Originally posted by Ski Guru
Anybody looking at installing an MP3 Hard drive unit?
Harmon Kardon has an Audio Keg that looks interesting. I just crave the idea of having over 4,000 tunes available at any given time!
I have installed a keg unit it's been installed for about 4 days now. It is working great, my head unit Kenwood kvt-910 will only read single digit disk numbers (9) disks is all it will read. I have to make large disks to load it fully. The music keg emulates a cd changer so when you are loading the hard drive it will store the music in groups or disks. I mounted it to my sub inclosure and have not had any problems with skipping or distortion even at high spl. I would recomend the music keg as a MUST for those that want to add a new freedom to there music enjoyment.
Randy
Old 04-09-2002, 01:45 AM

Randy,

The DVD head unit will only display 1 digit for the disc number. However, the box and the firmware will support up to 999 discs.

What it does is when you hit "disc +" on disc 10, it will actually go to disc 11 on the box. However, the display will show "disc 1". The "tittle text" should show the playlist title for disc 11. It will continue on past 19 to 20, et cetera. It's a little confusing, but you can actually have more than 10 playlists that way.

Cryptnotic

Last edited by Cryptnotic; 04-09-2002 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:31 AM

500 SEC
I was told the KEG would be compatible with MB fac installed head uinits?

Any feed back out there on that?
Old 04-09-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Ski Guru
I was told the KEG would be compatible with MB fac installed head uinits?

Any feed back out there on that?
As a Kenwood product, it pretty much only works with Kenwood head units. Kenwood is however going to offer it with an FM modulator.

Another option might be if someone makes a Mercedes to Kenwood adapter, then you would be able to use it with that. Autowerksexpress.com has been working on Mercedes optical digital audio interfaces for a while now. They're a likely candidate for developing such an interface.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:27 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Cryptnotic
Randy,

The DVD head unit will only display 1 digit for the disc number. However, the box and the firmware will support up to 999 discs.

What it does is when you hit "disc +" on disc 10, it will actually go to disc 11 on the box. However, the display will show "disc 1". The "tittle text" should show the playlist title for disc 11. It will continue on past 19 to 20, et cetera. It's a little confusing, but you can actually have more than 10 playlists that way.

Cryptnotic
I can't try it right now, but now I understand how to make it work. The car is getting the new stero install it should be ready by Friday. That will be just in time to take it Gainesville for the Sumit Import Nationals. They are building the new bass enclosure into the spair tire well and rasing the floor to install the amps, cross overs and the music keg. I can't use the spair anyway because of the the brake kit on the car it does not fit anymore. I wanted a useable hatch back. I hope it looks and sounds cool when it's done. I will post some pictures next week from the show.

Randy

ps: boy it would be nice to have video on that music keg

Randy
Old 04-15-2002, 10:59 AM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK 43
Let me know what you think of the KVT 910, I am considering purchasing the KVT911 and haven't heard anything about them. I can't find any reviews or comparisons.

thanks

Rich