Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Opinions of GLK audio upgrade plan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK
Question Opinions of GLK audio upgrade plan

Would love anyones opinion on the following upgrade to my 14 GLK. I have the base factory system with command and nav.

- Audio control LC6i
- JL Audio HD series HD600/4
- Polk Audio db6501 (front)
- Polk Audio DXi651 (rear)
- JL Audio ACP110LGTW1 powered sub

My plan is to redirect to stock system output into the LC6i (mounted under the dash). As far as I can tell from my research the base system does not have an amp, so I'll just use the speaker level outputs. The LC6i then connects to the amp and wire directly to the new speakers. I'll put the amp under the passenger seat or back seat depending on fit. This should give me full functionality of the original system and much better sound. Any feedback or advice? It would be much appreciated!!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:05 PM

GLK250
I just finished an upgrade of my base audio system. I would forgo the LC6i in favour of a DSP or a combo amp/DSP as I did in my vehicle. Check out the Helix and Match products. Do you need to change out the rear door speakers?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:04 AM

2014 GLK
Good alternative

Thanks for the input and I'm looking at those options. I don't have to replace the rears, I just figured that while I was doing it... I read your excellent writeup on the project you did, where did you get the wiring harness? I always hate cutting wires and your solution seemed very clean.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 AM

GLK250
The Match DSP/amp comes with a harness long enough to fit the amp in the passenger dash, footwell area. The adaptor harness is "HELIX PP-AC13A Plug and Play Harness" that allows for easy connection to the command unit and speakers.
Other option is just to buy the adaptor and use the speaker level inputs to your amp. You could always install a DSP later. You could probably save a few bucks and get the XD line vs HD, they are both good amps.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM

2014 GLK
Hmmm, that would make for a much cleaner install. So that adapter just redirects the speaker wires and none of the other connections to the command system? I just want to make sure I don't lose any of the base functionality at all.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM

GLK250
The adaptor I used was http://www.crutchfield.com/p_975PPAC...mnews=13395203
You will not lose any functionality of the command system. You may be able to find a Metra adaptor for a bit less $. I never looked...
I almost never upgrade my rear speakers. I am alone in my vehicle 90% of the time and I usually just set the rears for a bit of rear fill.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM

2014 GLK
Any magic on removing the door panels? Do I need to get some spare clips or do they come out for reuse pretty well?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM

GLK250
Pretty easy removal. Had mine off twice, no broken clips, no lost washers on the clips... Just two bolts beneath armrest, hidden expansion clip top door near unlock, then gently pry door panel out with a "suitable" tool.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...l-removal.html