Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Fix for weak audio in CarPlay mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura TSX
Fix for weak audio in CarPlay mode

Did you also get a 32C Multimedia Package just to get CarPlay integration like I did? Did you notice that your nice upgraded Harman-Kardon Logic 7 seems loud but lacks definition and bass boom? This frustrated me for over a week as I been hunting through forums looking for answers. I think I finally figured it out.

The problem: you plug your iPhone into the car and CarPlay comes up, but there's no way to get to audio settings. The audio quality is tinny, not powerful, and just overly mid-range present.

The solution: turn off CarPlay, turn the iPhone into an iPod, change the audio settings via Media port 2, then turn CarPlay back on.

Why this is the case: You notice that in Radio mode you can bump the COMAND controller down over to the audio setup, so you know that the Logic 7 stereo actually isn't completely lacking power. It's actually pretty OK for a stock system. I find turning off the Logic 7 mode gives a more balanced sound, but that's just preference. When CarPlay mode is active, however, the audio settings are completely inaccessible. But that's because they're normally tied to Media port 2. So you must disable CarPlay temporarily to get to these settings.

Step 1: Turn Off CarPlay

1a) unplug your phone from the Lightning cable

1b) scroll to the Tel menu

1c) push the COMAND control down to Options

1d) disable Start Apple CarPlay Automatically

Step 2: Go to the Media menu

2a) highlight the Media menu, click down

2b) reconnect your iPhone

2c) ignore the Confirm to Start Apple CarPlay notice

Step 3: Begin playing music on your phone

3a) go to the Music app and play a song

3b) you should see the current song being played on the Media UI

Step 4: Change your audio settings

4a) bump the COMAND controller down until you see the music settings menu in the lower right

4b) click down and enter the multimedia settings

Step 5: Reenable CarPlay

5a) go back to the Tel menu

5b) click down to the Options

5c) enable the Start Apple CarPlay Automatically

Step 6: Unplug and re-plug your iPhone
Attached Thumbnails Fix for weak audio in CarPlay mode-32c_carplay-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Longcat (08-14-2023)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
Is this a process you must do everytime? Also, what do you mean when you say "turn your iphone into an ipod"? Do you mean put it into airport mode perhaps?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:11 AM

Acura TSX
This process only needs to be done 1x. Basically if you disable CarPlay the iPhone shows up as a music device like an iPod.

I've taken to turning off Automatically Start CarPlay so I have the option to hop to the Media menu to change my sound settings.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes a 2015
Originally Posted by mjk2000
This process only needs to be done 1x. Basically if you disable CarPlay the iPhone shows up as a music device like an iPod.

I've taken to turning off Automatically Start CarPlay so I have the option to hop to the Media menu to change my sound settings.

it doesnt work...
Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 AM

E350d Estate, AMG Night Edition Premium
Yes, it does work (I have Comand Online option 531) and many thanks for this post. Pre-configuring the port seems obvious: but I didn't think of it. Spent months looking on the internet for solutions including changing default EQ music settings on individual music tracks, resetting CarPlay with Bluetooth off and other so-called remedies. The Apple community chatter is full of poor sound quality issues with CarPlay. THIS SOLUTION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKED FOR ME!!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter
Yes, it does work (I have Comand Online option 531) and many thanks for this post. Pre-configuring the port seems obvious: but I didn't think of it. Spent months looking on the internet for solutions including changing default EQ music settings on individual music tracks, resetting CarPlay with Bluetooth off and other so-called remedies. The Apple community chatter is full of poor sound quality issues with CarPlay. THIS SOLUTION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKED FOR ME!!
100% the reason. I think it's like this is because phones are updating faster than the ntg systems. until Mercedes can figure out how to find a universal way where updates happen and It doesn't affect how phones communicate to the unit you're always going to have this problem once a year
Old 06-07-2021, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes R231 SL63
Originally Posted by Nielsm12390

it doesnt work...
Whether this this “fixes” the audio is entirely in the ears of the beholder but it 100% does work in terms of allowing you to customise the sound while using CarPlay.

I stumbled across this independently myself. In short; the EQ and Logic 7 settings are per audio source. (Radio, CD, IPod, etc). CarPlay counts as iPod/media device.

P.S there’s also a “loudness” setting in one of the other menus.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:22 PM

MB GLC
Ithink more easy way is on Carplay or Android auto go to apps window and selec app - 'Mercedes', it will redirect to car options, and it is possible to ajust audio eq in there.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:06 AM

Mercedes e220 2009 turbo diesel
7 years on and I just found this thread! Thanks it worked a great
Old 10-09-2023, 10:25 AM

2016 A250 Sport Petronas
Once I head into the EQ settings after re-plugging my phone, the scroll wheel in the car doesn’t work.

Therefore, I cannot adjust the EQ. Super weird.