Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Nokia 6310i install with Teleaid, do I need a splitter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
Nokia 6310i install with Teleaid, do I need a splitter?

My 2000 E320 came with the startac option that I can't activate and I'm looking into replacing it with the V60 or the 6310i. The V60 looks easy as all I need to replace is the PSE and cradle.

Since my car has teleaid activated I'm scared to mess around with the antenna system in the car if I go to the Nokia 6310i kit. Since my car already has the startac installed (and no GPS system), do I still need to purchase a splitter (or an updated splitter version?) in order to hookup the GPS/GSM antenna (on the roof) to the Nokia kit?

I tried searching the archives but didn't come across the splitter question if the car already has a phone system installed...

Thanks for any info

-andrew
Old 02-28-2004, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
let's clear some stuff out first. The GPS antenna is used for Teleaid and Nav system only and has nothing to do with the phone systems. I have teleaid and the Nokia 6310i phone installed in my car. The antenna currently in your car for your old star tac is probably for the analog system and performance will not be good if you upgrade to the nokia or the v60. I purchased a seperate antenna for the phone kit. A company called Hirschmann makes a very slim antenna that sticks on the inside of the glass and that's it. Performance is better than the MB Antenna. If you want to share antennas with the teleaid system, then you must have a antenna switch currently installed in the car and no other updated switch should be required. I have a 1900mhz switch in my car and if you go with the nokia kit, you may have to change the switch out. The Nokia kit is as easy to install as the motorola kit you have. Just change teh cradle and and the PSe adn you're done. No further wiring is necessary. You can see a install of the nokia PSE in my car if you CLICK HERE
Old 03-01-2004, 04:50 PM

2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
Thanks for the info....

I noticed they make a switch thats 800-1900Mhz (saw a picture on ebay with the specs on it), I guess that is what I need to make sure that my car has.

Since teleaid uses the bumper antenna and the roof antenna, are there two switches installed in the car?

One for Teleaid -> Roof/Bumper

Thanks for the suggestion on the external antenna, I would like to keep the car as factory as possible and wanted to see how to set this system up as it is in Europe...

Thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
Telaid antenna

For some reason Mercedes has both a rooftop and bumper cellular antenna, something about if it rolls over and destroys the roof antenna (the response I got). The splitter is installed, and if you want to install the cellular option a compensator (splitter) is installed in the line between the telaid antenna lead. Telaid in, cellular in, antenna out. There were different versions depending if you had a dual mode or triple mode phone they are powered by the PSE (portable support) and provide the switching if telaid needs to access the antenna.
Mercedes sells a new PSE, Antenna Compensator, in a kit. The also sell a new cable, cradle, if you want to go to a V60. I still think only a MB phone will be able to acess the touch pad on the radio for all the functions.
Try this
http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/V60%20phone.htm
Old 04-03-2004, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Yes that is correct. Mercedes has 2 antennas installed in the car for backup use and also a small back up battery for teleaid incase main gets disconnected.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
You will be able to use the touch pad on the radio with the Nokia kit as well. I have been using one for several months now. I just replaced my older nokia kit with a new UHI kit.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:42 PM

2003 SL500
Originally posted by sunman
You will be able to use the touch pad on the radio with the Nokia kit as well. I have been using one for several months now. I just replaced my older nokia kit with a new UHI kit.
Can someone help me figure out what I need to get and do for a phone install? The dealership and MBUSA just give the party line on Motorola phones.

I have a US-spec 2003 SL500 (R230). No factory phone, TeleAid activated. I'm in the SF Bay Area (if anyone wants to recommend an installer in my area).

For phones, my preference is for Nokia or Sony-Ericsson GSM over Motorola (Prefer the UI). Ideally, I'd like a Bluetooth option so that I can upgrade in future, but if there's an option that works now but allows me to upgrade the phone in future, that's acceptable - the 6310i is rather bulky (I have a Nokia 6100 currently), but worst case I can live with it temporarily.

My understanding is that currently ony the Motorola PSEs are installable by US dealers, is that correct? Is Nokia 6310i or UHI PSE available or orderable?

I'm aware (from this board) of the MikBox, and if that is available for Nokia or SE, that seems like a good option, but I guess I still need the dealer (or someone) to install the PSE and cradle, and re-program the fiber bus to recognise the phone, right?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-04-2004, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
You cannot order the UHi in USA yet. I had to get mine from Germany. It works great with my 6310i. I am waiting on Benz to get some new cradles out so I can use different model phones. You can go with the mikbox route also. You'll need a US spec Motorola PSE installed in your car first. THe MIKBOX works with most new motorola phones including the v300 and v400. Both are GSM quad band phones.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 PM

2003 SL500
Sunman, thanks for the info.

I had mailed Mik earlier, so I'm waiting to hear back on either the final Mikbox or UHI/UConnect availability in the US.

I guess at that point I'll pick the phone based on the phones Mikbox supports, and I'm assuming I'll need to get a corresponding PSE (perhaps from UK/Germany if using the Mikbox with a non-Motorola phone).