Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Command Navagation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 cl600
Command Navagation

My CL600 Command Navigation does not recognize US routs (i.e. in NJ US22, US1, US46) that pass thru a individual towns. Interestingly enough it does recognize Interstate Highways. You can select them via the map input screens with the cross hairs. When I called the dealer who I bought the car from (Ray Catena on US1 in Edison NJ) they confirmed this fact, and told me they could not input their own address.

I also have a BMW with a built in system that does not have this issue. Their system is based upon Carin – VDO/Dayton (now Audiovox) system. And I have a friend that has and Alpine system and they don’t have a problem.

Is this unique to the Bosch system that MB uses? Has anybody else heard of this? Is there a fix for it?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
THIS IS NOT UNIQUE

................ALL THE INFORMATION IS CONTAINED IN THE DISC, NOT ON THE COMMAND HEAD UNIT ITSELF. SO WHOEVER MADE THE DISC OMITTED THE ROUTES IN QUESTION. OR THE ROUTES WERE NOT PRESENT AT THE TIME THE DISC WAS MADE. FIND OUT WHEN A NEW DISC WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR GEOGRAPHIC AREA. THE NEW DISC TYPICALLY CONTAINS MORE INFO THAN THE PREVIOUS.

TED
Old 05-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 cl600
It is a problem with Bosch

It is unique.

I put a Alpine in my Panoz and it works.
As I stated in my prior post BMWs (DVO / Audiovox) works.

Bosch buys the data from Navtech, then make there own disks. This way can mark them up. Alpine and Audiovox uses data directly from Navtech.

If the disk does not contain the address data - it could at least locate the US route in the city requested. It allows you do this via map input.

It is just a bad system.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 cl600
I have the latest disk

Verified it with a local dealer.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
...........I have a VDO DAYTON Navigation system installed on my 300 CE. Seriously, the problem of not being able to input some addresses is not that unique. I don't work for MB or NAVTECH. Overal a DVD based navigation system is better because problems such as the ones you have identified can be fixed when the new disc comes out. Still the latest disc could have been made two to three years prior to the disc being available and whatever road changes occur in the iterim will not be on the disc. I live metro Atlanta which is a fast growing area. This is a common problem with both my VDO Dayton system and my Command system.

Ted
Old 05-22-2002, 05:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 cl600
Agreed - BUT

This does not explain why when the disk does not contain the address data - but knows that the US route runs thru a particular city (as evidenced by its ability to show it on the map in the city in question) the route does not show up in the street list of the city in question.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:48 PM

2001 E 320 4Matic
This may or may not be an answer. I have noticed that is is very important to have the county selected perfectly or else that address won't take. In Colorado, especially Denver area, there are some "unincorporated" townships that carry the name Denver, while being nowhere close to city proper in location. In example, a relative of mine lived in City of Lakewood, Jefferson County. His home is located in an enclave of 200 homes in unincorporated Jefferson. When I selected "Denver" as the county, I could program it without problem. Until I did that it wouldn't work.

The same thing happened when I was in Europe (Eurpoean Delivery, E320 4 Matic). I was maybe a mile or two from a famous hotel in Geneva, Switzerland, and the navigation system let me down. I had to stop at a "Best Western" to find someone to give me directions in English. I suspect that County/ Parrish sort of thing was at play there too.

Navtech supplies most of the data for most of the nav systems made. I think different system manufacturers (Bosch) have these subprogramming issues incorporated.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 AM

380 SL, 300D
Navagation Disk

Where is the navigation disk located in a 2008 MB E320?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by lgriffi
Where is the navigation disk located in a 2008 MB E320?
Model year 2008 for W211 E class , Navigation module (where you insert the NAVI DVD in) is in the trunk, left side (driver side) upper part of the trunk's liner.