Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Breaking in a Sound System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking in a Sound System

I have heard rumours that for the true sound to come from speakers, it needs time to break in. Is there any special process involved or do you simply use the sound system. Also, how long does this take usually. Thanks for any information on this.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL
Yeah, you keep them under 50 decibels for the first hour, and then vary the sound gently, like soft rock for the next hour...

after that, you run short bursts of heavy metal alternating with classical.

After a week it's all broken in.

Seriously, pretty much bulls**t .... there is a bit of truth to the fact that the surrounds on the speakers could get a bit more flexible, but it's a miniscule difference.

If anyone tells you the electronics need to break in, run away, do not give them any money.

Greg
Old 06-09-2004, 01:00 AM

Thanks alot Greg
Old 06-09-2004, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Some electronic components have break in period. However it doesn't mean that you should avoid high volume or something else. For example capacitors get max capacity aed to high end after some time. Speakers can also improve sound after some time. However it's more related to high end speakers you never can find in cars.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Some subwoofers only

Some subwoofers, initially have a pretty tight suspension and take a little time to loosen up, this depends on the manufacturer. It will breakin by using it, or if you want, one can speed up the process, by driving it to full excursion, at low frequency, overnight.

Here is a Kicker Comp woofer manual, see page 5 for breakin:

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals...ManualV2_0.pdf

It is really not necessary, it's an opion.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:02 PM

In most cases, your ears will break in more than your sound system. Seriously.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
True,

The perception of the difference is probably larger than the difference.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:01 AM

hmm

Some speakers have a thin enamel coating on the spider. After playing the speakers at medium volume for around 10 minutes, they say the enamel sinks in, or softens up, or breaks of ... or whatever.

Apparently to break-in speakers in general, you should play them at their resonant frequency for around 10-15 minutes.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:53 PM

2003 SL
in general, operating anything mechanical at it's resonate frequency is destructive.... very bad idea on speakers... that's where excursion will exceed normal operating parameters... the resonate frequency of a bridge in Washington caused it to self destruct...

The enamel on a voice coil is the insulator... overheat it, it burns, the speaker coil shorts out.... keep it cool as possible... "curing" it with heat is bull...

the laws of physics apply to audio components, contrary to what many salesmen will tell you!...

Greg

Last edited by Greg Elmassian; 06-12-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:37 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
Running a speaker at resonance is not a problem, if the energy input is limited well below the level needed for full excursion. Also, if you read the breakin instructions, the frequency for break-in is below the resonant frequency (on Comp 10inch, Fs=32, freq break-in=28Hz)

The voice coil is not the spider.

The windings are on the voice coil form.

The spider is the spring suspension that surrounds the edge of the voice coil form, that keeps the voice coil centered (aligned) in the magnetic gap. The spider has a spring tension in two directions, out and inward, but maintains a nominal equilibrium between the two.

Yes, the laws of physics apply to audio components. The compliance of the speaker is controlled by the spring & damping of the spider. If the spider is stiffer, then it takes more energy to move the cone by some defined distance.

The real question is what are the manufacturers using for spider material and has it reached final equilibrium, during manufacturing. This depends on what the manufacturer uses, for materials.

http://www.kicker.com/subwoofers.cfm

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals...ManualV2_0.pdf

The breakin of the subwoofer (which may only be useful for some Manufacturer products) only increases the efficiency and smooths out the frequency response slightly. It will naturally break-in, if used at moderate listening levels, for a few weeks.

Don

Last edited by m444; 06-12-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:32 PM

2003 SL
Nice to see someone really knows his stuff. Yeah, my reply was considering the surround, but I agree with you that the spider is probably the more "restrictive" part... many were made from some kind of open mesh fabric.

My point about resonance, which I see you understand, is that it is a "dangerous" frequency, where a small change in input power can result in a large response.

Nice thread and discussion!

Greg
Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 AM

Yes, I think I got more than I asked for, but in a good way :p Some real audiophiles round here. I'm a bit behind in this area.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
The breakin of the speaker, related to the spider, depends on the speaker model and manufacturer. One can have the typical spider, like a pre-washed jeans or one can buy the virgin and breakin on their own time (which will generally last longer).

Most speakers are of the " pre-washed jeans " variety, already to run, no breakin required. Some fall in the other category. The manufacturer will have guidelines, if breakin is recommened.