Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

What headunit do I have in my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K
What headunit do I have in my car?

Hope someone can help me, because this is driving me crazy ;p

vin: WDD2122021A153010

when trying a couple vin decoders...
option 525 says..
Audio 50 APS..

another one says, option 525,
CONNECT 20 HIGH (NTG7)

i actually pulled out my HU.. just to look at the part number (A2129006905)..

and when googling prt number... i see my HU in several eBay and whatnot ads.. but when googling audio 50 Aps.. the picture of the HU does not look anything alike my HU..

So basicly.. driving me crazy...
Do i have Audio50 APS by Harman Becker..
(see attachment of the HU TAG).

and is this an NTG4.0 unit? Meaning I can order DAB+ or CarPlay KIT for NTG4.0?

or is this NTG7? Like one other vin number decoder tell me? Can not seem to get s grip on the difference in Units out there...

if i am at a loss... and should stop trying to find some way to get integrated CarPlay and or dab for my HU... any recomendations ? Swapping the HU With another type maybe? Hopefully without the need for any cable changes.. and coding stuff..

any help would be received With such amazing good wishes, you would feel them as you click submit on your reply...

Old 03-06-2020, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
You have NTG4 Audio-50-APS

I havent come across a CarPlay for NTG4 (wrong video connectors)

NTG4-Audio-50 can work with the in2digi DAB+ module. See https://www.commandonline.co.uk/in2digi-D-MB-2.html

It will need to be coded to enable DAB menus before or after installing DAB+ module (but you need to get DAB added to datacard first)

Richard
Old 03-07-2020, 04:37 AM

C200K
Thanks man for your reply
i have actually borrowed a module last night from a friend (he has not come around to install it in his car yet). and will try to mount it and see where it gets me regards to DAB+, and ser if I order one for myself

You write added to datacard? Do you meen visit garage With star and have them add DAB for my car? Or is it more I need to do?

carplay.. I found this one: https://www.joyeauto.com/product/mer...auto-retrofit/

but I want to wait to order until I am absolutely sure it will function with my Headunit. Found a couple forum posts about Joyeauto and that people are happy With them.

any suggestions about it? Think it will work for my unit?

-Tom

Last edited by MetZ80; 03-07-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Theres a central Mercedes database called VeDOK that holds the spec of each car. It is used by Xentry Diagnosis to know how to configure (code) each control module based on the options in the car, the country etc.
You will need to get to the DAB option added to the datacard, and then the COMAND "SCN coded" to turn on the DAB menus and for it to expect a DAB tuner on the fibre optic network.
What DAB tuner have you got ? The standard Mercedes one for that vehicle (and older) does not support DAB+

Thanks for the link to CarPlay unit - in theory its the same as the newer units just different cabling - but I hadn't see one until then. I use a UK designed / software unit as I found it works better than the Chinese ones I evaluated.

Where are you ?

Cheers
Richard
Old 03-07-2020, 03:17 PM

C200K
Aha. But if I drive by a certified Mercedes garage? They will be able to enable these features for me? using Star ?

it is a norDab unit: norDAB ND700
is suppose to support Dab+ and Ng4 Audio 500.. according to specs.

I am located in Norway. Just a short drive across the ocean to the UK ;p

Old 03-08-2020, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A certified Mercedes garage should know how to deal with it especially in Norway where they should have had experience retrofitting DAB after FM was dropped a couple of years ago. I know that box, it's made by kufatec and badged by the look of it. The in2digi has better reception strength and can work with NTG4.5 as-well

Cheers
Richard
Old 03-08-2020, 01:52 PM

C200K
Aha.. okei.

I actually hooked up the adapter in my car today. Connected Most, power and Dab antenna.

went into eng.menu, and looked trough the options. Most disabled, Dab disabled (both greyed out). So I guess I need to find me someone with the equipment to enable those to recognize the adapter.. then we’ll see what I decide to do after..

fast question while we wait. Should I see the connected unit somewhere in the eng.menu?
I guess it wil no show anywhere until the most is activated..

And until I Get this activated.. any suggestions about the antenna? I have a FAKRA window antenna (not mounted, just laying on the dash with a bit of tape so far - testing).

Was looking at those splitters FM/DAB. Maybe possible to use my fin-antenna (I read it has the amplifier beside the rear window).. I have both left and right rear Windows covered with mesh. One or both used for amplifying the signal?

is there any FM/DAB splitter that would work good With the active antenna system? Or do I have to figure out Where to put that window antenna later on? Did not really want that taped on my window and because both sides rear is covered With mesh. Want to try to find a hidden way to Get the reception going..

Any suggestions about that?

Edit: I have a w212 wagon btw

Old 03-15-2020, 02:55 PM

C200K
Update on my trial run on this.

i have hooked up the NorDab unit.
i have visited a MB garage, and they activated most and Dab..

i drove out, listening to the Dab channel that it Where on.. happy.. this worked... BUT...

then I got home.. thinking to play around With it.. I noticed firstly I could only receive RIKS Dab channels in my display (there are 2 systems in Norway, Riks and NRK). Can not find anywhere to Get the NRK system also (Like 50 NRK channels).

secondly, I am unable to change channel. I can scroll trough them fine using my wheel.. but not able to change channel whatever I press..

i need to change channel on my display, power off the module, start it back up again, then the channel changes.. haha.. weird.

I also checked the MOST menu in eng.menu.. it says «There are no most devices available».

but the Dab tuner appear in a second menu. Unable to change any settings though.

so I am at a loss... looks to me the most connection/ring is good. Reception is perfect using the active window antenna in the city, one channel at the time..

but the communication, and systems will not speak with the headunit as it should.

did the MB dealer do something wrong? Enable it as an aftermarked unit? And not a emulated original MB one?

do I need a firmware update maybe on the unit? See attached IMg of current firmware.

any suggestions??

keep safe in these Corona days!
-Tom

Last edited by MetZ80; 03-15-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The in2digi device works properly with Audio-50-APS. Seems like that one doesn't.

BUT, one thing that you need to check is that you don't have any other aftermarket electronics causing RF interface. Unplug any USB chargers, dashcam chargers etc etc

Richard
Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM

C200K
Yeah. I am going to borrow an in2digi one next week.. we’ll see how it goes ;p

I have another question. Does it exist firmware updates for this unit? Any reason to update trough xentry ? I think the map onboard is like 2010 version, and I was considering updating them to v.13 (i think this is the latest one for this unit). And read somewhere that this unit also does a firmware update trough maps? Sounded strange.. and there are alot of different topics about this, but i did not Get any wiser. Hehe.

Still gonna try to get CarPlay working later on, because I mostly use Google maps on my phone anyway, but thats a later problem.

Stay safe!
-Tom
Old 03-22-2020, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You'll need to ask the manufacturer about firmware for the DAB unit. It will not be updated via Xentry though. I think that there may be some mapping firmware on the map disks, but not all the firmware as that is updated from Xentry.

R
Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 PM

C200K
The NorDAB Dab unit I believe is updatable trough USB, but if they have firmware is another question. We’ll see when I have testet the in2digi adapter what I’ll do..

About the Audio50APS NTG4-212 unit.
using xentry... anything I should try to get done/any improvememts I should know about? any way to find some version readme about fixes and modifications somewhere? Anyone know?

Gonna check about the map update, found a v13 for my NTG-212 unit I want to just try out first. But as I said about firmware update on the map disc,. Have no clue.. some says there are firmware on the disc 2 (cd i guess). But I am thinking this is for the NAV unit only.

we’ll see..

best option would maybe be to put in an aftermarked unit, using some cable KIT or something? And just loop the, now active, Most.. already spent some money having it activated ;p
And a new screen if the MB one is not able to talk to the aftermarket unit.. but I would like to go as «original» as possible.