Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

quiet AUX port (just installed) ???

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
quiet AUX port (just installed) ???

hey guys, i just got COMAND plus an AUX input installed by steve in chicago a few days ago , i do have one concern though and that is, i just tried out the AUX port with an mp3 player and it seems VERY quiet, even when i turn the volume on my mp3 player all the way up, it is not at the same volume as the cd player or radio that was on prior, as i have to turn the volume knob to get it that loud. not to mention, when i switch from AUX to CD or FM it is VERY loud from previously being set louder in AUX, is this really how it is suppose to be or is something wrong?? thanks~!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
hey guys, i just got COMAND plus an AUX input installed by steve in chicago a few days ago , i do have one concern though and that is, i just tried out the AUX port with an mp3 player and it seems VERY quiet, even when i turn the volume on my mp3 player all the way up, it is not at the same volume as the cd player or radio that was on prior, as i have to turn the volume knob to get it that loud. not to mention, when i switch from AUX to CD or FM it is VERY loud from previously being set louder in AUX, is this really how it is suppose to be or is something wrong?? thanks~!
Mercedes has no control over what MP3 player you own or what you hook up to your aux port, and since it's not a line level input (with an associated "standard"), it's just a guess at what will work for most people. You don't even list which MP3 player you're trying so it's not like anyone can really answer whether this is "normal" for your setup...

Sorry that I can't answer your question better without knowing what you have.

-s-
Old 08-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Does the MP3 player have a volume switch ? Turn it up !

(the reason they call him scorchie is that he flames everyone)
Old 08-07-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARRR
Originally Posted by miroj

even when i turn the volume on my mp3 player all the way up
Old 08-07-2004, 12:13 PM

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
the mp3 player is a Creative Labs Nomad II, i dont see what difference it makes though since i'm turning the volume all the way up and when i do that while connected to headphones it makes my ears wanna bleed, the output from the mp3 player should be fine, it seems to be the AUX port since all other audio sources are much louder when turned up that high, i was just wondering if anyone else shared this experience so that i would know if that's really how it is suppose to be or if something is wrong
Old 08-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,273 Likes on 2,035 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
With our comand, the AUX input runs at the same level as the radio or cd with an iPod (provided it is full-on).

Try a different player, maybe an old cd discman or similar or check the Nomad if you have a line-out plug-in as well. The AUX port is certainly a line level input, but expects a line out (which is fixed level) vs. a headset output (which is variabel level). At full-on volume of your MP3 player shoudl equal the radio/cd of the comand.

Sorry to be so complicated...

Wolfman
Old 08-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Yet another dead weight for the forum to carry ? I can see your contribution above.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned

the mp3 player is a Creative Labs Nomad II, i dont see what difference it makes though since i'm turning the volume all the way up and when i do that while connected to headphones it makes my ears wanna bleed, the output from the mp3 player should be fine, it seems to be the AUX port since all other audio sources are much louder when turned up that high, i was just wondering if anyone else shared this experience so that i would know if that's really how it is suppose to be or if something is wrong
I have to wonder if the cable for the AUX port to MP3 player is correct. Is it stereo on both ends ? Is the player end some special cable setup ?

Sounds like something is going to ground on a short circuit.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe he wrote that his player volume was on full (and now has added that it is a Nomad). Since the impedence of the aux input is much higher than most headphones, the voltage across the input will be lower for devices which are intended to operate headphones. This will vary on different models, as electronic engineers sometimes take this into account if the device has no other line level output.

miroj, not only do you often post completely bogus information about cars (although wrong, is on topic), but now you've taken to doing it about people as well. Can't you just stay on topic and talk about cars instead of people? Or are you that bored with your life that you have no other avenue for release?

I guess if you really don't like my posts, please don't read them. And I will take my own advice, by now including you in my ignore list. Which is too bad; some of us have found it quite amusing to read some of your incorrect information.

-s-
Old 08-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scorchie
I believe he wrote that his player volume was on full (and now has added that it is a Nomad). Since the impedence of the aux input is much higher than most headphones, the voltage across the input will be lower for devices which are intended to operate headphones. This will vary on different models, as electronic engineers sometimes take this into account if the device has no other line level output.

miroj, not only do you often post completely bogus information about cars (although wrong, is on topic), but now you've taken to doing it about people as well. Can't you just stay on topic and talk about cars instead of people? Or are you that bored with your life that you have no other avenue for release?

I guess if you really don't like my posts, please don't read them. And I will take my own advice, by now including you in my ignore list. Which is too bad; some of us have found it quite amusing to read some of your incorrect information.

-s-

You will now give the assurance that all components in the installation are correct.

How do you know the Nomad is connected correctly and with what type of cable ? Have you suggested the name and brand of cable that can be used to correct this problem ..... as always you wash your hands of details and only give vague outlines.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500

-s-

scorchie, this guy just might be the biggest retard on this board. i have not read one noteworthy post from him ever! i told him in another thread the same thing and added him to my "pay no attention to" list, however i too find his completely incorrect and nonsensical posts amusing.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
scorchie, this guy just might be the biggest retard on this board. i have not read one noteworthy post from him ever! i told him in another thread the same thing and added him to my "pay no attention to" list, however i too find his completely incorrect and nonsensical posts amusing.
Precious queen ! Life is just too hard isnt it.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Precious queen ! Life is just too hard isnt it.

this is exactly the type of dumb **** im talking about from this guy.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned

From the land of "free speech" comes the dictum of what others must think of me. If you call that freedom of thought then go to a mirror and take a good long hard look at the first person you see. That person is confused and a sorry excuse for a liberal thinker.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:24 AM

getting back to the topic at hand , thanks to the people that contributed, i tried an iPod and with the volume on that on full it seemed to match the stereo volume (FM and CD player) thanks for the help, i had the right cable it just seems like it's my mp3 players output that is a bit lacking thanks though~!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Banned

getting back to the topic at hand , thanks to the people that contributed, i tried an iPod and with the volume on that on full it seemed to match the stereo volume (FM and CD player) thanks for the help, i had the right cable it just seems like it's my mp3 players output that is a bit lacking thanks though~!
There is such a thing as an inline line-level amp which will always raise the signal to 1Vpp. Its not like car audio is the first time anyone met this problem.

I dont know the correct supplier for such an item in the USA but I do know it can be made from scratch using parts.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should put him back on ignore... it's a lot more satisfying to know he wastes his time making responses that we'll never see.

-s-
Old 08-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Banned

You should put him back on ignore... it's a lot more satisfying to know he wastes his time making responses that we'll never see.

-s-
Its a real shame you dont speak for the majority. I would love nothing more than to have no interaction with self-important dictactors like you.

One any given day you offer
- no parts numbers
- no prices
- no OEM installation methods.

You are just the DJ inbetween songs. A gap filler, a bootlick and someone that validates himself with another persons website.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Its a real shame you dont speak for the majority. I would love nothing more than to have no interaction with self-important dictactors like you.

One any given day you offer
- no parts numbers
- no prices
- no OEM installation methods.
...not that I really wanted, but I do have to add that out of all the things you listed here, you forgot to mention that he also does not give IMPROPER, FALSE information...and that is something I can't really say of the posts you make...
I am quite sure you don't like my post here (and some of the other posts I made directly to you) and am aware that I will probably get stuck with the parts you ordered a while ago which you probably don't want to take from me no longer, but you SERIOUSLY need to do some MB specific reading up before you post on public forums because of all the posts you made, there are a fair lot with incorrect and/or useless information which make your usefull posts become unnoticeable...

However, as Scorchie posted, there is an output difference in between of different MP3 players which cause a volume level difference on the comand...
reading infinite loop's reply you can see that he found that out by using a different MP3 player with which the volume level in AUX mode seemed to be right compared to the volume level of the other comand features...
So as useless as you found Scorchie's info here in this thread, I do believe he hit jackpot when replying it.

greetingz,
Old 08-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
...not that I really wanted, but I do have to add that out of all the things you listed here, you forgot to mention that he also does not give IMPROPER, FALSE information...and that is something I can't really say of the posts you make...
I am quite sure you don't like my post here (and some of the other posts I made directly to you) and am aware that I will probably get stuck with the parts you ordered a while ago which you probably don't want to take from me no longer, but you SERIOUSLY need to do some MB specific reading up before you post on public forums because of all the posts you made, there are a fair lot with incorrect and/or useless information which make your usefull posts become unnoticeable...

Yes but I suggested a real adaptor solution. Not just "change the MP3 player to iPod"

So far all I read is 5 second solution, 0.5 second idea, 5 millisecond reaction. How about a solution instead of rubbish internet politics.

Not everyone can change MP3 player for no reason. Do you have any other idea.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Banned

I am quite sure you don't like my post here (and some of the other posts I made directly to you) and am aware that I will probably get stuck with the parts you ordered a while ago which you probably don't want to take from me no longer
Better you worry about your service and not my feelings. I can admit my mistakes and I can also honour my word. This is something I am quite able to do.

I am waiting for headlights, if you send them I can send payment. The other parts people cant wait (already 2 months) and the order was already lost or placed with other sources.

I think you want me to be stupid and immature like your American friends but I am sorry but this is a mistake of judgement. You should come to the realisation that the rest of the world is many years ahead of this stupidity.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
I think you want me to be stupid and immature like your American friends but I am sorry but this is a mistake of judgement. You should come to the realisation that the rest of the world is many years ahead of this stupidity.
...sometimes I really wonder what your problem is...I had a complete different impression from you when I talked to you on the phone...

greetingz,
Old 08-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
...sometimes I really wonder what your problem is...I had a complete different impression from you when I talked to you on the phone...

greetingz,
My problem is that I enjoy public topics and I dont make it a serious business. Its better that people worry about themselves and not make jusgements about who is what. I will stop also.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sport Package
Miroj -- You are an embarrassment -- I opened up this thread to see something possibly usefull and instead see your initial useless post. And after that I see a back and forth that serves no purpose.

Back off -- and make valid posts that contribute or add something (your suggustion for an in line amp wasn't a bad idea -- suggust something that you know of to serve the purpose -- even if it isn't US specific -- for those who don't want to switch from their current MP3 player to an iPod. The rest was useless). BTW -- Headfi.org would be a place to look up or reasearch an inline amp or portable low cost amp like that possibly. People there could make some good recommendations.

Regards,

- rajs

Last edited by RajS; 08-09-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RajS
Miroj -- You are an embarrassment -- I opened up this thread to see something possibly usefull and instead see your initial useless post. And after that I see a back and forth that serves no purpose.

Back off -- and make valid posts that contribute or add something (your suggustion for an in line amp wasn't a bad idea -- suggust something that you know of to serve the purpose -- even if it isn't US specific -- for those who don't want to switch from their current MP3 player to an iPod. The rest was useless). BTW -- Headfi.org would be a place to look up or reasearch an inline amp or portable low cost amp like that possibly. People there could make some good recommendations.

Regards,

- rajs

I seem to recall that I was the only person that suggested an inline compensation device. I also make my own SP-DIF to stereo converter using surface mount components. More than 12 months ago I obtained a working sample of a device that will sit in the armrest with line level adjustment and take fibre optic inputs with conversion to analog stereo.

How do you like them apples.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: quiet AUX port (just installed) ???