Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

how EXTENDED is service suposed to be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
how EXTENDED is service suposed to be?

As I do sell a few MB parts to some forum members of this board, I was wondering how extended service is suposed to be as I recently encountered a problem with a customer that is starting to take a weird twist...

The problem in short:
- customer buys a comand unit from a US based shop and has it installed by that shop (please note - the comand was not bought from or installed by me)
- customer then buys a TV tuner from MBenzNL and has it installed by me
- 2 months after TV tuner install (3? months after comand install) customer has a problem with FM reception...but does not! have a problem with AM reception or TV reception...just FM reception
- customer asks me wether this can be related to the TV tuner install which I don't think it is so I advised him to get in contact with the US based shop that provided and installed the comand
- customer gets in contact with the comand suplier and comand suplier tells customer that they will take care of it
- next message from customer is that US based shop no longer wants to provide any service regarding the possible comand problem and refuses to even look at it...
- knowing that the US based shop had the comand from me and that there were some frictions between that shop and me, I offered the customer to have the problem looked at and possibly replace his comand eventhough it was not sold to him by me...BUT as this service had to be performed at the same location as were the TV tuner was installed, the customer refused to take up on that offer as the drive was too long

Now, a couple of weeks - 2 months later this customer holds me responsible for his comand problem (which he never bought from me and which I offered to replace for him anyways) and is threatening to sue me...

...next up I will be held responisble for leaking shocks and rubbing tires as well??!?

greetingz,

Last edited by MBenzNL; 09-23-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Ridiculous

That seems ludicrous to me. You have gone above and beyond to help the guy. He should be grateful for the help that you have rendered. It sounds like if he wants to sue anyone it should be the US shop.

Also, I think it would be very difficult to file suit against you in any case since you are based in the Netherlands and I presume that this person is US based.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Tell the guy to take a hike. You should only be responsible for what you install within a reasonable time frame. You can't garantee it forever also. If he has a problem with the Comand, take it up with the original installer. Obviously he is trying to tack the blame on you because the other party refused to work with him. You are a reputable and honest merchant and you warranty everything you sell. Forget about the disgruntle guy, and continue your good work. BTW, the Comand I bought from you 1.5 years ago still going strong.

John
Old 09-23-2004, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Oh...Dont Forget the Top Problem..Ever since the TV Tuner was Installed
Old 09-23-2004, 02:43 PM

lol... this is purely speculation.... but it sure sounds like the US-based supplier... hacked-jobbed the COMAND install and is trying to put the blame on steve.

i dunno man.... but my 203's comand was steve's #2 in the US and the isht works fine.

btw... the US-supplier is not AWE, is it? cuz if it is... LOL @ customer.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
As I do sell a few MB parts to some forum members of this board, I was wondering how extended service is suposed to be as I recently encountered a problem with a customer that is starting to take a weird twist...
...next up I will be held responisble for leaking shocks and rubbing tires as well??!?

greetingz,
I hold you responsible for my car (Amethyst in color like yours) not having either the clear 2005 updated lights or Bi-Xenons instead of my frosted lens halogens Just my luck for you to be coming to California with my mod budget on hold. First child expected late October. See you at Mark's when you get here.....

Back on topic, the cost to sue you would be more than the cost for him to fix the problem. You were too nice by offering to replace the command even though you did not sell it to him. He now could be thinking that since you made that offer, maybe the TV tuner did damage the command and this is your way of making it right.... But it is not your responsibility.....
Old 09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
That sucks. Sue for what? If you didnt sell the comand nor installed it why are you liable. If he takes it to court, just tell the judge you will refund him his money for the product and you will just uninstall it. Never do business with him again.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
What a clown *** *****. Gimme his name and I'll go send Mark to go beat his ***.

What a retarded guy really. You offered him a way out, but he's doing the stupid American ****, where he wants to go and sue. What a dumb ****!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:46 PM

2000 E430 sport package
Nuts!!... " I offered the customer to have the problem looked at and possibly replace his comand eventhough it was not sold to him by me...BUT as this service had to be performed at the same location as were the TV tuner was installed, the customer refused to take up on that offer as the drive was too long."

What jerk and a fool...You offered to replace his comand and he refused your offer? It's his loss. You have gone above and beyond the call for customer service. Based on your comments, it appears to me that he is harassing the wrong person. He should be at the shop where he purchased his Comand not you....my 2 cents. BTW, I'll see you next week for my install and no worries because I know you are tha man....
Old 09-23-2004, 11:57 PM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Sounds like a simple antenna issue to me.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:47 AM

W212 2009, W115 Pullman & EQC
He is a fool...
Some people just dont hava a clue ..
Keep up the good work steve !
Old 09-24-2004, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
you offered to replace something that wasnt even your fault in the first place. then if he cant go the extra step to meet you, then you know what, tell him to get lost! totally not your responsiblity.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Almost a Member!

E320
Originally Posted by Anaheim_Drew
Back on topic, the cost to sue you would be more than the cost for him to fix the problem.
It would only cost him $50 to fix the problem? Really? The case would be held in "small claims court"... take a look at the fees for this.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
Steve,

I am also holding you reponsible for NOT having those on my 2004 E500:
EU Command, Bi-Xenon, DVD player on Command system, folding side mirrors, rear seat headrest monitors, 19" wheels. Anything else I forgot? Anyway, I wil trade my current automobile for another one with all those above options, then we will call it even.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by mb230s
Sounds like a simple antenna issue to me.
I had the same thought.

Ok Steve, youve got to tell us who this dumbass is!
Old 09-26-2004, 03:43 AM

2000 E430 Sport
Coming from a family of lawyers I agree with CitronC230K_03 100%. This guy is just ridiculous. Sorry that these types come out of the woodwork here sometimes.

I'm still holding out for that dvd player and folding mirrors too. The tuner you installed is workign great!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:20 PM

C240 2002
But you were the last one to touch it!

I have heard nothing but good things about you Steve. Sounds unlikely that this is your fault, however, since you did an install after his comand was installed, it is logical that he would try to put the blame on you! Unfortunately, people in this country are sue happy, however, if the guy does have a cause of action, you certainly have a good defense, you offered to fix the problem but the guy refused to bring the car to you to get it fixed.

I think I would reoffer the next time you are in his area but doing an install in a different place. What is the old saying, "You make one customer unhappy and that customer will tell nine others, who will tell nine others, and so on?"

**** Gleason

Originally Posted by MBenzNL

The problem in short:
- customer buys a comand unit from a US based shop and has it installed by that shop (please note - the comand was not bought from or installed by me)
- customer then buys a TV tuner from MBenzNL and has it installed by me
- 2 months after TV tuner install (3? months after comand install) customer has a problem with FM reception...but does not! have a problem with AM reception or TV reception...just FM reception
- customer asks me wether this can be related to the TV tuner install which I don't think it is so I advised him to get in contact with the US based shop that provided and installed the comand
- customer gets in contact with the comand suplier and comand suplier tells customer that they will take care of it
- next message from customer is that US based shop no longer wants to provide any service regarding the possible comand problem and refuses to even look at it...
- knowing that the US based shop had the comand from me and that there were some frictions between that shop and me, I offered the customer to have the problem looked at and possibly replace his comand eventhough it was not sold to him by me...BUT as this service had to be performed at the same location as were the TV tuner was installed, the customer refused to take up on that offer as the drive was too long

Now, a couple of weeks - 2 months later this customer holds me responsible for his comand problem (which he never bought from me and which I offered to replace for him anyways) and is threatening to sue me...

greetingz,
Old 09-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Outland
I had the same thought.

Ok Steve, youve got to tell us who this dumbass is!
nope...I don't like to point fingers...I will leave that to him/them...

greetingz,
Old 09-29-2004, 04:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
As all problems like these have two sides; here is the OTHER side...as I don't think it is fair to keep this thread a one-sided thread...

greetinz,
Old 09-29-2004, 05:24 AM

I have read the other side of the story..
I can se that he has a problem.. and feel that he is stuck .. a lot
But
Why dont he take the time to get the problem fixed ?
I guess that he by now have useds double the time just to spread bad words.

-he is still a fool.

Steve did a 0900-0500 non stop installation job on car.
I work with elektronics every day and would spot a hackjob if i saw one
I did not see any hack job ..
-even when the clock was 0500 his eyes was focused on details.
I will happily drive all the way to holland again.

Sign me on the "i-would-recomend-steve-anytime" list -with all the stars

-kim

Btw: i dont know any of his freinds, buddies or partners.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Thanks for the back-up, Kim... thanks to all, for that matter.

Greetingz,

BigSis
Old 09-29-2004, 11:01 AM

My positive experience

Customer Service is truly defined after you have handed off the money. Anyone can be nice and do the right thing before they get their money. Steve did a Command install for me last week. The job was done professionally and he was very prompt. He finished earlier than I was told. I drove home and seemed to be having problems with the unit. I figured I needed to read the owners manual. When I got home and read the manual I realized that there must be a problem. I called Steve on the phone and he walked me through a couple of system checks and agreed that there was a problem. His response was simple. "When can you get here so I can fix your problem?". I did not have a problem driving back to where the install was done. I got there and he corrected the problem in about 15-20 minutes. Again nothing but professional, prompt, curteous service. I was happy with the service and am waiting for the TV tuner installation. I would feel comfortable having Steve do any work on my car.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by why_not
Steve did a 0900-0500 non stop installation job on car.
-even when the clock was 0500 his eyes was focused on details.
Hopefully you will use the hotel link I mailed you prior to the install...I thought you would stay 2 days for all the modifications...as well...who needs too much sleep anyways...

greetingz,
Old 09-30-2004, 06:38 AM

Well ...not you thats for sure :-)
- see you in NL again for the Seat/wood upgrade.