Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

question on v60s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on v60s

On the display,near the top there is a 1x displayed.I'm not sure why its there or how to get rid of it.Thamks
Old 12-25-2004, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Do you have Verizion?
Old 12-25-2004, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
V60 is probably a VZW phone. 1x is like the GPRS icon on the GSM phones. That means you're in their data coverage area. You can get rid of it by moving away from the data area, check the data map.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by dtkw
V60 is probably a VZW phone. 1x is like the GPRS icon on the GSM phones. That means you're in their data coverage area. You can get rid of it by moving away from the data area, check the data map.
Specifically, the 1X means that you are in Verizon's "1XRTT" service area. 1XRTT is a higher-speed data service that claims to be able to peak up to about 144 kbps, which is even faster than your usual 56k dial-up modem at home. (My experience with it has been that it averages about 40kbps.)

Depending on whether you're in an area built out for this service, a slower data service, or no data service, you will receive different icons in that part of the screen.

You're stuck with something in that part of the screen. I would suggest that you just use it as a guide that you'll probably get pretty good service if that's on your display in addition to lots of antenna bars.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:38 AM

Was there ever a Cingular v60 ? I'm wondering if I should exchange my AT&T v60 for a Cingular v60.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Amfung
Was there ever a Cingular v60 ? I'm wondering if I should exchange my AT&T v60 for a Cingular v60.
Depending what technology Cingular uses in your area, an AT&T V60 may work on Cingular.

-s-
Old 12-31-2004, 02:06 PM

I believe Cingular is GSM exclusive but now they have to carry the TDMA baggage from the AT&T acquisition. I think it's a matter of time before they switch all TDMA subscribers over. I was wondering if MBUSA ever offered a "Cingular" V60 but then v60 was never a GSM phone to begin with !

I think I answered my own question
Old 12-31-2004, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
MBUSA do offer a Cingular V60 TDMA phone, but it will not work in most areas, because Cingular is only accepting new customers on GSM. I discovered the hard way when my dealer tried to activte my phone and discovered Cingular would not accept the V60 TDMA phone on my plan. I had to get the V60S Verizon CDMA phone, because I did not want to wait a while for Steve at http://www.mbenznl.com/ to have a cradle for a V600. Mbenznl is a good company.

But I discovered that the voice quality on a CDMA V60S Verizon phone is a whole lot better than my Cingular T720 GSM phone.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-31-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Amfung
I believe Cingular is GSM exclusive but now they have to carry the TDMA baggage from the AT&T acquisition. I think it's a matter of time before they switch all TDMA subscribers over. I was wondering if MBUSA ever offered a "Cingular" V60 but then v60 was never a GSM phone to begin with !

I think I answered my own question
Again, it depends on what area you were in, but Cingular did have TDMA in some areas before the AT&T acquisition.

There also were several GSM V60 versions, but none that MBUSA offered until recently (I believe one of the V60 phones offered now is GSM, but not sure).

-s-
Old 12-31-2004, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by scorchie
Again, it depends on what area you were in, but Cingular did have TDMA in some areas before the AT&T acquisition.

There also were several GSM V60 versions, but none that MBUSA offered until recently (I believe one of the V60 phones offered now is GSM, but not sure).

-s-
The V60I is a GSM TDMA phone, but you can only get TDMA service on that phone. My dealer even thought that that phone could get GSM service, but we discovered that GSM was added to meet the federal 911 cell phone requirements for location tracking.

If you do not already have the MB phone kit install, I would recommend going to http://www.mbenznl.com/ to get a UHI MB phone kit. This is the best way to go, because you just purchase a cradle with the phone specific electrics when you change your phone. But if you have the old MB phone kit and want to use a non-MB moterola phone, got to www.mikbox.com and his equipment for work with the existing MB phone kit on d2b.

Go here for more information.

http://commerce.motorola.com/consume...hone_comp.html

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-31-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
The V60I is a GSM TDMA phone, but you can only get TDMA service on that phone. My dealer even thought that that phone could get GSM service, but we discovered that GSM was added to meet the federal 911 cell phone requirements for location tracking.
That site is very difficult to understand. In any case, there really is a V60i for GSM with GSM service. It is compatible with UHI.

I, too, can quote things from the internet:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=97

So for those who believe everything posted on the internet, there's your proof.

p.s. I have one too.

p.p.s. here's proof that Cingular has TDMA service as well, as they provided the V60t: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=384 This wasn't directed at you tiggerfink because I know you know that Cingular did have TDMA.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 01-01-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by scorchie
That site is very difficult to understand. In any case, there really is a V60i for GSM with GSM service. It is compatible with UHI.

I, too, can quote things from the internet:

So for those who believe everything posted on the internet, there's your proof.

p.s. I have one too.

p.p.s. here's proof that Cingular has TDMA service as well, as they provided the V60t: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=384 This wasn't directed at you tiggerfink because I know you know that Cingular did have TDMA.

-s-

Your proof above states that the phone is discontinued. Just remember that information that is correct today will be wrong tomorrow, because technology and companies changes so fast.

I have a V60I phone, and it operates on Cingular TDMA for my business account. I can get the V60I all day long for my business account, but not for my retail account. Cingular gave me about 50 of the V60I phones. The V60I/GI is a discontinue phone. You are correct that the V60I/GI is a GSM phone. Mercedes also sells a V60I TDMA phone. Like I said before, my dealer and I was surprised that Cingular would not accept the V60I on my retail cell plan, because it is a TDMA phone. All my information came from Motorola and Cingular.

I also know there are companies that sells discontinued cell phones, but you need to make sure that your cell company will accept the phone on your plan.

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin...nbr=1&zipcode=

Last edited by tiggerfink; 01-01-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
I had Cingular TDMA service (thru MB) on my 04 S500. The service was so bad (and getting worse) that I switched to Verizon in April 04. A rep at Cingular initially told me that there was an antenna problem, but later said the "antenna problem" was that Cingular's priority was to convert over to GSM.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your proof above states that the phone is discontinued. Just remember that information that is correct today will be wrong tomorrow, because technology and companies changes so fast.

I have a V60I phone, and it operates on Cingular TDMA for my business account. I can get the V60I all day long for my business account, but not for my retail account. Cingular gave me about 50 of the V60I phones. The V60I/GI is a discontinue phone. You are correct that the V60I/GI is a GSM phone. Mercedes also sells a V60I TDMA phone. Like I said before, my dealer and I was surprised that Cingular would not accept the V60I on my retail cell plan, because it is a TDMA phone. All my information came from Motorola and Cingular.

I also know there are companies that sells discontinued cell phones, but you need to make sure that your cell company will accept the phone on your plan.
Maybe you came into the discussion a little late and missed what I was replying about? I'll try to explain it a little better this time, just in case.

1) My first statement was that posting things from the internet doesn't really prove anything.

2) There was an earlier post that Cingular only had GSM and not TDMA before AT&T. My second point was that Cingular had TDMA (meaning D-AMPS) in some areas, even before acquiring AT&T. Whether the phone is discontinued or not has nothing to do with if Cingular EVER had TDMA. Even discontinued, it shows that Cingular DID have it, or else it could not be discontinued.

3) You posted that the V60i is a "GSM TDMA" phone. That's kind of a weird thing that you said. If we start using the correct terms, there is a V60i that is used for GSM (which uses TDMA encoding). There is a V60i that is used for D-AMPS (which also uses TDMA encoding, although most people refer to this service as "TDMA" which is incorrect). If you get a V60i with GSM, then you can get GSM service. If you get a V60i for D-AMPS, you can only get D-AMPS (TDMA) service. GSM was not "added" for 911 locator service... GPS was added for the 911 locator service.

4) My final point was so that you wouldn't respond to me and further spread more incorrect stuff, which really confuses a lot of people on the boards. If you want to post true things (without showing links to pages with incorrect data), then that's fine.

(I can state that my CLK55 has 4-piston front brakes and show you the web page on MBUSA.com where it says it has 4-piston front brakes... but if you look at the car, the brakes are still only 2-piston. Something being posted on the internet doesn't mean much when... well, it's WRONG. See, even you or I can post things, and it doesn't make them right. You may be getting all your information from Cingular and Motorola, but where... those are huge organizations. That's like your service advisor telling you that "you can't get voice control on your car unless you get an integrated phone" and then you saying "I got my information from Mercedes." The source doesn't matter if it's incorrect in the first place, or if you relay the information incorrectly.)

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 01-03-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:31 AM

MBUSA do offer a Cingular V60 TDMA phone, but it will not work in most areas, because Cingular is only accepting new customers on GSM. I discovered the hard way when my dealer tried to activte my phone and discovered Cingular would not accept the V60 TDMA phone on my plan. I had to get the V60S Verizon CDMA phone.....
Tiggerfink,
Are you originally with Verizon or Cingular ? I just had a MB v60 TDMA activated with Cingular last Friday.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
My business phones are with Cingular (V60I) and my wife's phone (T720) is on Cingular GSM plan. My MB car phone is with Verizon (V60S).

In the TN area, Cingular is only accepting new customers on GSM plans. My Cingular account rep told me last week that she will move my business phones to GSM by the end of 2005. I will get new free phones for GSM. My account rep also informed me that eventually, Cingular will be moving all its customers to GSM. The reason why I have Cingular is because it is so cheap.

I only had Verizon for a week, and I am really impressed with them.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 01-04-2005 at 12:56 AM.