Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by awiner
Mine does this as well, as is normal. But when I hold down >| (FF) to tell the Ice>Link to start playing the particular playlist that is highlighted it does back to the first selection which as you stated is my iPods name.
That is not normal operation, and I don't know why that is happening to you. I'll play some more this week, and see if I can repeat your sequence - and find a solution
Old 01-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Skylaw
That is not normal operation, and I don't know why that is happening to you. I'll play some more this week, and see if I can repeat your sequence - and find a solution
I figured this one out. I needed to redo my playlists as some were not updated on the Ipod correctly. All works now as far as that is concerned.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Skylaw, now that I have my playlists working out, I see the benefit of the Dension UI mode more and more.

I can actually navigate it without looking in most cases.

Also, having the first 5 playlists on CD 1-5 buttons helps.

Setting the songs to randomly mix is a great option as well. Now just need to find out how we can use the Random function to invoke album play. And if for some reason the Random function is now working with COMAND, getting the programmers to fix it in a firmware update to the Ice>Link.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Adam,
Glad it's working properly for you. To summarize succinctly (tough for a lawyer) -

iPod UI: Pros - flexible, easily sorts music in a variety of ways with little user effort.
Cons: complicated, requires frequent and at times lengthy reference to the iPod screen to navigate. Steering wheel and COMAND input not available for all navigation modes.

Dension UI: Pros - simple interface, easy to reach a known starting point for navigation through the playlists. Requires much less reference to the iPod screen for navigation. Easier to use than iPod UI while driving if you organize music into playlists.
Cons: Less flexible interface (playlist, album modes); requires more effort by user to organize music into playlists. Fewer music sort options.

Bottom line: Unless the iPod is easily accessible and visible, the Dension UI is easier to use while driving, and is therefore safer.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-25-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I agree with all your points... With my playlists set, I now too use the Dension UI most the time.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dension Response to Flash Update Problems

Adam,

Thank you so much for e-mailing the update files. I will try them

On Sunday last, I sent Dension a combination of my problems with the update, and your response (and solution) - posts 96, 97 above. Dension USA responded within 48 hours that they were updating their website - both for availability of the upgrade, and for the other files needed to complete it (including the Mercedes files, not Kenwood).

Really glad you're having success with the Dension interface. And thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-27-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c sportcoupe
hey Awiner,

i followed your thread because i have the dension link also, but apparantly, when having a bose system as i do, i need to connect it to amplifier in stead of the head unit. You had also the bose system, so, how did you do it, then ?

in another thread you answered on my question because i have no sound when attaching the interface, but the bose system seems to be the cause, now.

have you got i link to where it is explained in detail how to attach this link to the bose amplifier ? thnx
Old 01-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
The D2B interface is introduced into the d2b system via the fiber optic connection and power connection from your CD Changer.

The Mercedes installation instructions that came with your Ice>Link should explain this process.

The Bose AMP sits on the d2b fiber interface as well. This is where your confusion may be.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Setting the songs to randomly mix is a great option as well. Now just need to find out how we can use the Random function to invoke album play. And if for some reason the Random function is now working with COMAND, getting the programmers to fix it in a firmware update to the Ice>Link.

I heard back from Dension in Hungry today. Seems this option will not work with the Mercedes COMAND units. Reason is that the phaser d2b interface box wont pass this information correctly to the Ice>Link.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Adam,

Thank you so much for e-mailing the update files. I will try them

On Sunday last, I sent Dension a combination of my problems with the update, and your response (and solution) - posts 96, 97 above. Dension USA responded within 48 hours that they were updating their website - both for availability of the upgrade, and for the other files needed to complete it (including the Mercedes files, not Kenwood).
Adam,

I have tried the update to firmware 2.05 many times, sometimes with nearly disastrous results. The post is long, so I have started a new thread regarding Dension ice>Link firmware problems at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/97536-dension-ice-link-firmware-problems.html

I have also added a similar post in the Hack My Car forum that Dension has referred us to for discussions; saw you there as well.

In the main, while I am happy with the ice>Link and the flexibility it provides, Dension has a very long way to go in its firmware updates - in both the code and the instructions. The U.S. support staff has done its best, but Dension International needs to do a lot more. Indeed, their 2.05 firmware update for D2B strongly resembles a hack, not a carefully thought out process - even after the U.S. site update.

Thanks again, Adam, for trying to help.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-07-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350CDI S212, MY2011
Hi,
the right part# for the male 3-pin connector should be A 030 545 59 28 (housing) and the pins (you need three of them) A 032 545 39 28.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:41 PM

13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Please help with the following questions. I have an 01 E430 (W210) with the factory 6 CD Changer in the trunk. Below is the pic of my stereo. I want to buy the icelink and wanted to know if I could install it in the trunk where the CD changer is and keep the ipod in the trunk instead of in the car like you guys did. Will it be an easier install if it's in the trunk or will I still need to route any cables to the front of the car. Also will I be missing out on any functionality if the ipod's in the trunk.

Any help is appreicated.
Attached Thumbnails Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review-mb_d2b_kit_image.jpg  
Old 02-10-2005, 04:24 PM

SL55AMG
I just spoke to a tech at Dension... word is a new Ice Link unit will be out soon for D2b mbz that will display ipod screen data on the Command. Not sure about the steering wheel controls, I didn't ask. I hope it's real.

Last edited by SLVRSL55; 02-10-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by sbarsap
Please help with the following questions. I have an 01 E430 (W210) with the factory 6 CD Changer in the trunk. Below is the pic of my stereo. I want to buy the icelink and wanted to know if I could install it in the trunk where the CD changer is and keep the ipod in the trunk instead of in the car like you guys did. Will it be an easier install if it's in the trunk or will I still need to route any cables to the front of the car. Also will I be missing out on any functionality if the ipod's in the trunk.

Any help is appreicated.

You could install it into the trunk which would mean you would not have to run any wiring to the passenger compartment ....
Old 02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
I just spoke to a tech at Dension... word is a new Ice Link unit will be out soon for D2b mbz that will display ipod screen data on the Command. Not sure about the steering wheel controls, I didn't ask. I hope it's real.

I beleive what they told you about is Screen>Link. Screen>Link will be an additional module for the Ice>Link system that will output via a RCA cable the iPod screen to a RCA input like a TV Tuner.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:40 PM

You could install it into the trunk which would mean you would not have to run any wiring to the passenger compartment ....

Adam I appreciate your quick response. Please help with a couple of more questions.

1. Will the install be simpler is the ipod is in the trunk.
2. Will I be able to have the same functionality with th eipod being in the trunk as opposed to the front? Do you actually have to click on any buttons on the ipod when using the icelink? I am assuming, after reading all the posts, that one does not have to do anything with the physical ipod when it's connected or can we just use the radio/steering controls to navigate the playlist.
3. Will I see the song #'s on my radio since it's not a NAV screen.

I appreciate you help.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
The install will be easier since you do not need to run the main harness/dock connector into the passenger area.

The functionality will be the same as long as you use the Dension UI mode.

You don't have to see the iPod screen, however, it sometimes is handy to reference it.

You will see the track # (Up to Track 99).
Old 02-11-2005, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

However, you may find it difficult to do your initial setup (which requires access to your radio controls as well as seeing what you have chosen on the iPod screen). I had that problem with my original installation.

Also, it helps to reference your iPod screen occasionally, especially when learning the interface.

Adam is right - you can do it. However, it may not be the best choice.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
hey awiner. lit'l question. As for the fiber connector on the cd changer, did you manage to "take of" the little plastic white and red cap, or did you have to strip the orange cable. as i did not manage to "take of" the plastic caps i needed to strip this cable and i think i did it not 100% ok, because the sound signal is gone after cruising for +/- 50 minutes of mp3 bose cd quality. if you had to strip it, how did you do it precisely ?

thnx in advance !

Old 02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by wimpytron
hey awiner. lit'l question. As for the fiber connector on the cd changer, did you manage to "take of" the little plastic white and red cap, or did you have to strip the orange cable. as i did not manage to "take of" the plastic caps i needed to strip this cable and i think i did it not 100% ok, because the sound signal is gone after cruising for +/- 50 minutes of mp3 bose cd quality. if you had to strip it, how did you do it precisely ?

thnx in advance !

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO You DO NOT remove the white/red plastic ends !!! If you did that you need to either get some new strands of fiber with the ends on them correctly or have someone with the right tools/equipment refuse the ends back on properly assuming yoou didn't mess the ends up when you removed them.

The 2 stands of fiber simply come out of the stock oem black plug and then are re inserted into the fiber interconnects included with the Dension kit. There is NEVER a need to remove the white/red plastic ends.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:18 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
thankx for the info. But i have bought the Dension- AUX-IN kit for D2b, because i have creative zen mp3 device. So this kit is basically the same as the icelink, but the connections seems abit different (according to the scheme delivered with it) i needed to remove the cabs of the "aux in" kit fibre cable , and put these "caps" on the glas fiber wire of the cd changer. There were NO interconnects, as you mention in your post, delivered with the aux-in. but now, when i drive for +/- 50; the signal gets lost for a few minutes. i think there is a connection problem with the glas fiber wire. but when the ignition is turned off and back on again, i directly get sound again. Strange... but, another strange thing is that i have to press the CD button on my "audio 10" and also the "SC" button. if i do not do this, i have no sound from the dension kit. Do you have to press this "SC" buton also, to have sound from your icelink?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
No, I just press the CD button and the ice link takes over. With you setup, obvioulsy it is not as integrated as when using an iPod with the Ice>Link.

Sounds like you just have the Phaser D2B integration module that Dension uses, however, since your not using an iPod, you don't have the actual Ice>Link Plus module.

Now I see why you are having unique problems.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
ok. thank you. Allthough it is not 100%the icelink (but, allthough, very similar), i followed your thread to have this installed, and without your very valuable thread and explanations we could'nt have brought it this far ! Thanx a million for this ;-)

But, in my next mercedes, probably the New ML, Ipod integration will be a factory possible option and then there will no need anymore to install a mp3 cd quality option (yes yes, since 2 years i await, with patience, the D2B/bose link of dension). And, i must admit, even with the minor problems that i experience now, i'm still very glad about the awesome quality of this device in combination with the Bose stereo system :-)
Old 02-24-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Adam thanks. I've had my iPod for a month trying transmitters, cassette adapters but this is the way to go. Got to save some $$$ first. Thanks again.

trbo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review