Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Question

Originally Posted by awiner
The install is all plug and play other than the power connector which I mention above. As I keep updating this thread it will show the entire process. If you have basic understanding of audio/electronics it takes about 5 minutes. You have to disassemble the fiber end and re configure it, however, that is about a 1 minute process. The longest part is disassembling the necessary panels/covers to access the CD changer fiber and power cable. Also getting the dock and cable to where you want to mount it will take a little time too.

As for the A/B switch this will be a work in progress. I first need to find out if any such product exists. I have a basic idea on how to make one, but not on how to integrate it into a one flip of a switch solution as of yet.

BTW, Tom at Dension used to work for EvoSport and as such is very familiar with this forum.
What about pulling the head unit? It looks like the IceLink is in the trunk and
the cable to the ipod is the biggest issue (unless the iPod is in the trunk). Is
there anything to be done with the head unit in terms of pulling it out? My IceLink is suppose to be here on March 2nd. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
If you car is NOT pre-wired with fiber to a CD changer you will have to pull the headunit. If you have the pre-wire for or to the CD changer you will not.

See this link for info:

http://www.densionusa.com/images/ins...tall_guide.pdf
Old 02-26-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
If you car is NOT pre-wired with fiber to a CD changer you will have to pull the headunit. If you have the pre-wire for or to the CD changer you will not.

See this link for info:

http://www.densionusa.com/images/ins...tall_guide.pdf

Excellent! I just downloaded the install manual and from your excellent write-up,
it should be a snap.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

The install is all plug and play other than the power connector which I mention above. As I keep updating this thread it will show the entire process. If you have basic understanding of audio/electronics it takes about 5 minutes. You have to disassemble the fiber end and re configure it, however, that is about a 1 minute process. The longest part is disassembling the necessary panels/covers to access the CD changer fiber and power cable. Also getting the dock and cable to where you want to mount it will take a little time too.

As for the A/B switch this will be a work in progress. I first need to find out if any such product exists. I have a basic idea on how to make one, but not on how to integrate it into a one flip of a switch solution as of yet.

BTW, Tom at Dension used to work for EvoSport and as such is very familiar with this forum.

My iceLink >Plus should be here today. So, my only question is.... Where can
I get a mating power connector to fit the built-in OEM power connector. I too
like to keep stock as much as possible without cutting anything up. It sounds
like I need a mating power adapter to fit the OEM power connector.. Correct?
I assume there is only two wires in the three connector that's in-use. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
If you look a page back in this thread you will find a part # for the 3 pin housing as well as the crimpable pin part #'s you will need.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you look a page back in this thread you will find a part # for the 3 pin housing as well as the crimpable pin part #'s you will need.
Found it. Thx.

the right part# for the male 3-pin connector should be A 030 545 59 28 (housing) and the pins (you need three of them) A 032 545 39 28.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question

Got my unit yesterday and in the car. Now I'm waiting on the power connectors
like most of you have used. Nice to keep OEM plugs intack. I should have the
connects next week..... I'm thinking of docking the iPod in the trunk. What have
most of you done? I see some in the console. Anyone else mount theirs in the
trunk?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Trunk Mount Not The Best Idea

Originally Posted by trbo2nr
I'm thinking of docking the iPod in the trunk. What have most of you done? I see some in the console. Anyone else mount theirs in the trunk?
If you want to be able to select your music (or even to do the initial setup after installation) you will probably find it necessary to refer to the iPod screen occasionally. Full iPod screen information is not shown on the COMAND or instrument cluster displays with the ice>link D2b installation. Please note the change of mounting location I had to do when initially placing the iPod in the console where I could not see the screen. See Post # 56 in this thread, and also the writeup at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=330 discussing location. In addition, the discussion Adam and I engaged earlier in this thread concerning the use of the Dension UI and the iPod UI indicates that you may want to refer to the iPod screen occasionally, especially as you get used to using the limited information displayed; and you will need to use it if you do any firmware updates.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-06-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
If you want to be able to select your music (or even to do the initial setup after installation) you will probably find it necessary to refer to the iPod screen occasionally. Full iPod screen information is not shown on the COMAND or instrument cluster displays with the ice>link D2b installation. Please note the change of mounting location I had to do when initially placing the iPod in the console where I could not see the screen. See Post # 56 in this thread, and also the writeup at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=330 discussing location. In addition, the discussion Adam and I engaged earlier in this thread concerning the use of the Dension UI and the iPod UI indicates that you may want to refer to the iPod screen occasionally, especially as you get used to using the limited information displayed; and you will need to use it if you do any firmware updates.
Well said. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review

This thread has been very helpful, but given the present inability of the Dension software to provide Artist/Album/Song names, wouldn't it be a lot easier (and cheaper) to connect an iPod using the AUX input, and provide it with power from the cigarette lighter or other source of DC? True you don't have steering wheel control, but if my reading is correct, since you don't see Artist/Album/Song names on the COMAND LCD at present, why all this trouble?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some models do not have an AUX input, or ability to have one installed. However, where that option is available, you could certainly do it.

I use playlists extensively, and after selecting one I rarely have to refer to the screen. Adam Winer's installation of the iPod using a cable makes his screen easy to read, and maintains steering wheel control, silencing for incoming phone calls, and other elements of integration that an AUX input in a D2B equipped car may not give you.

Since relocating the iPod, my installation is usable, though having ID 3 Tag info on the car's displays would be more useful. Though lacking Tag info, I have what I need - and I like the rest of the integration.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Dension just released version 2.06 of the firmware ! The new 2.06 firmware works GREAT ! If you use a iPod Photo, the screen text/font now is in large text when docked in Dension UI Mode. This means I no longer have to squint to see the Photos high res screen !

Also, this version fixes a sync problem that I had experienced a couple of times.

The update went smooth and as per instructions. No need to circumvent things to get it updated this time as was the case for version 2.05 !
Old 03-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Some models do not have an AUX input, or ability to have one installed. However, where that option is available, you could certainly do it.

I use playlists extensively, and after selecting one I rarely have to refer to the screen. Adam Winer's installation of the iPod using a cable makes his screen easy to read, and maintains steering wheel control, silencing for incoming phone calls, and other elements of integration that an AUX input in a D2B equipped car may not give you.

Since relocating the iPod, my installation is usable, though having ID 3 Tag info on the car's displays would be more useful. Though lacking Tag info, I have what I need - and I like the rest of the integration.
If the IceLink does not display id 3 tags, what exactly does it display on the Nav screen? I am confused. How would it be better than burning a DVD with MP3s -- where I can see folders, and each song that is playing, though not a master list of songs? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dension just released version 2.06 of the firmware ! The new 2.06 firmware works GREAT ! If you use a iPod Photo, the screen text/font now is in large text when docked in Dension UI Mode. This means I no longer haveto squnit to see the Photos high res screen !

Also, this version fixes a sync problem that I had expiranced a couple of times.

The update went smooth and as per instructions. No need to circumvent things to get it updated this time as was the case for version 2.05 !
Thanks, Adam - will try it.

Originally Posted by weinschela
If the IceLink does not display id 3 tags, what exactly does it display on the Nav screen? I am confused. How would it be better than burning a DVD with MP3s -- where I can see folders, and each song that is playing, though not a master list of songs? Thanks.
For weinschela -

Posts in this string starting at #70 and running through #104 deal with this somewhat; the specifics of what you see depends on whether you are in the Dension UI or the iPod UI, and where you are in the UI. The car's displays show only "CD #" and "Track #" - and they mean different things at different times.

The following addresses what you see in the COMAND and instrument cluster displays. What you see in the iPod screen itself is discussed extensively in the user manual on the Dension USA website ( http://www.densionusa.com/images/ins...ers_manual.pdf ).

One example of how it works:

On the car's displays, in either UI, if you have organized your music into playlists, your first five playlists will be shown as CDs 1-5; and the track number of the selected song within the playlist is displayed. CD (Disc) 6 places you into the Dension UI, or if already in it, takes you back to the Dension UI starting point (on the iPod screen only - that is, it takes me to my iPod's name, below which is the list of playlists). However, if you choose a playlist greater than #5, the "CD" corresponding to the playlist number becomes inaccurate. For those, either CD 1, 2, or 3 is displayed, and serves only to show you that you have changed playlists. If you wish to confirm that you are in a particular playlist above #5, you must refer to the iPod screen.

Once you have entered a playlist, "Track" refers to the order of the song in the the sequence it appears within the playlist. Track numbers referring to songs go from 1-99; if you have more than 99 songs, the 100th song starts with #1 again. If you were in the iPod UI and displaying all songs, the same thing would happen; "Track 99" could mean song 99, 198, 297, etc.

The information displayed on the COMAND or instrument cluster display is CD number and track number - no names. I have been able to name my first three playlists in COMAND memory, but 4 & 5 always have the same name.

If, instead of using playlists you use other means of accessing your music, you will still get only "CD" number" and "Track Number" in similar fashion - I'm not going to list all of the combinations, because I don't use them and haven't mapped it all out. Just trying it out showed me quickly that it wouldn't be useful.

As you can see, it isn't ideal. However, because I organize my music into playlists, and because I can refer to my iPod screen for confirmation when necessary, I get by OK - but would certainly like to have the ID Tag info on the car displays.

Burning DVDs is a viable alternative. It takes about 9 DVDs to store as much music as I do on my 40 GB iPod, and one couldn't carry them as conveniently as I do the iPod for listening while on a commuter train. But the best solution for you will depend on how you use and listen to your music; and for many of us, also whether our cars have DVD playback capability (mine does not).

Of course, I have full access to whatever is on my iPod, with all of the sort options provided by the iPod (in either UI), by referring to the iPod screen; as you mentioned, that is something you don't have with DVDs.

Those are just some more detailed reasons not to put the iPod where you can't see its screen, as addressed above for trbo2nr - a mistake I made in my initial installation (thinking I would have ID Tag info available via COMAND).

As I understand from other posts, even the new OE Mercedes iPod integration for some '05s and for '06s provides ID Tag info on the instrument cluster display, but not the COMAND display - but I haven't seen it myself.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-12-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus

Burning DVDs is a viable alternative. It takes about 9 DVDs to store as much music as I do on my 40 GB iPod, and one couldn't carry them as conveniently as I do the iPod for listening while on a commuter train. But the best solution for you will depend on how you use and listen to your music; and for many of us, also whether our cars have DVD playback capability (mine does not).
I don't find it viable to burn DVDs, although others do (maybe they just don't want to admit iPod-envy). As I (and others) have pointed out before, the DVD MP3 access is quite slow. And when I buy a new CD and put it in my Mac, the next time I plug my iPod in (to charge) it is nearly instantly synchronized. I would hate to wait to fill another DVD before burning one, or almost as bad, burning a whole new DVD with just one or 10 more songs.

-s-
Old 03-12-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by scorchie
I don't find it viable to burn DVDs, although others do (maybe they just don't want to admit iPod-envy). As I (and others) have pointed out before, the DVD MP3 access is quite slow. And when I buy a new CD and put it in my Mac, the next time I plug my iPod in (to charge) it is nearly instantly synchronized. I would hate to wait to fill another DVD before burning one, or almost as bad, burning a whole new DVD with just one or 10 more songs.

-s-
Thanks to all who have posted. Its all very helpful -- and what makes the forum terrific. For me, DVDs work. If you use DVD-RW's you can simply add albums without burning everything all over again. I use Nero and it works pretty well. Since I don't have that much music on my iPod (a mini)(only about 3GB), one DVD holds everything -- at least for now, and since I can see Album names and the track names display, and its fast enough for me, thi seems the way to go until the MB iPod is out and can be evaluated.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scorchie

-s-
Glad to see you use a Mac, Scorchie!! Been using them since 1986. Newest is a dual processor G5 (it is one of those Virginia Tech made available from its supercomputing cluster, when they went to Xserves).

Yeah, off- topic. But I agree that the ease of updating the iPod is another advantage.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-12-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Not a Benzer anymore
For the 2000+ E320, et al..

What would be the easiest route to run the cable from the CD Area to the Center Console ArmRest area? Does the E320 have a cable-pass through channel?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question Should I see more than the track number in the head unit?

I finally spent a few minutes in connecting everything. I have the iPod mounted in the trunk but think the center console is the best out of view location. Anyhow, the music sounds great from the iPod but I only see track numbers on
the head unit. The iPod shows Dension etc. and the playlist I created but not
the head unit. I thought the head unit should at least show the playlist so one
would know where they are in their music lists. Did I forget to do something in
the install or does the Dension unit need to be updated? If so, how. I'm looking at the documentation again and visiting their website. Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found out from the Dension site this is the way it is. So, I ran the wire under the back seat and routed to the front with the ipod in view. I may consider going under the carpet (but need to figure out how) and having it in the console like another member did. If the iPod is in view, chances are someone's going to
break in.........
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I need to know more of this integration of the ipod with the MB
Old 03-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I've had my IceLink Plus installed now for just under 4 months. I have to tell you, it is one of the BEST things I have ever installed. I don't think I have listened to anything else other than my iPod while driving for the past 4 months ! The IceLink works great ! Sounds great !
Old 03-26-2005, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carlosfernandez
Check out their website: http://www.densionusa.com or http://www.ice-link.com

That's why my changer is on ebay The iPod integration is the way to go.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carlosfernandez
There is more information on the integration in this thread than anywhere else I am aware of on the Web. Read it carefully, not casually, from the start.

Scorchie has posted information on the integration that Mercedes announced for some '05 and '06 models. Search "Scorchie" and "iPod."

I have written up my installation in my '00 S500 at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=330 and have included links to other helpful sites, including Dension's.

Happy browsing.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-26-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question How hard is it to go under the carpet?

I have my connection coming from the trunk and under the rear seat (easy to remove - thanks MB). Anyhow, I'd like to go under the carpet from the rear seat to the center console. I think if it's out of sight, it's one less thing to worry about everytime I park the car. Right now, I keep undocking it from the front and hiding it under the seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review