Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Tire Pressure Monitor / Aux Heater in a G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Tire Pressure Monitor / Aux Heater in a G?

Sunman/Scorchie/Steve/Anyone?

I check Sunman's site every month or so to see all the goodies. How complicated is the auxillary heater? Do you have MB install docs, G specific would be great? I know some of the Gs in Europe have these.

Also, the G is particularly sensitive to the tire air pressure. This mod looks very useful. What is involved? Can this be added to the G?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-15-2005, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
The auxiliary heater retrofit is supported for G-classes earlier than yours (like the 2001 vintage... slight panel differences). That kit wouldn't work on yours due to the panels and electronics, but I think you could get the newer parts and fit mostly everything in.

TPMS does seem useful in a way... on the road, the G-class definitely needs to keep the pressure high before the steering gets too heavy and weird handling things happen. But offroad, you want to let the air pressure out for better traction. TPMS would then complain... anyhow, this would have to be a custom install with some custom brackets for the sensors. I think the electronics would all work because the 2002 has mostly W203 electronics. You need to verify your instrument cluster supports this too first.

-s-
Old 01-15-2005, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you can probabably purcahse a kit for the heater to work on your wagon from Steve. I still need to finish the tire pressure system in my own car and yes, the antennas will require custom brackets to hold them adn my instrument cluster supports this feature. Would have to hook up DAS to check on yours.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:44 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
The new Gwagen cabriolet I just bought has the aux. heater that was an option. The little rmote has the benz logo on it but since I haven't taken delivery I haven't checked it out yet. The manual says it can be programmed in the on board computer to activate at certain times. Sounds cool. I don't think they offer this option on the US G's. In 02 when I got mine they didn't.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
they don't offer this option on any benz USA car except Maybach
Old 01-15-2005, 09:21 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by sunman
they don't offer this option on any benz USA car except Maybach
Anyone know why? I would think this would be a popular option in many states. Also, does the aux heater run off the battery or some sort of fuel?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie
The auxiliary heater retrofit is supported for G-classes earlier than yours (like the 2001 vintage... slight panel differences). That kit wouldn't work on yours due to the panels and electronics, but I think you could get the newer parts and fit mostly everything in.

TPMS does seem useful in a way... on the road, the G-class definitely needs to keep the pressure high before the steering gets too heavy and weird handling things happen. But offroad, you want to let the air pressure out for better traction. TPMS would then complain... anyhow, this would have to be a custom install with some custom brackets for the sensors. I think the electronics would all work because the 2002 has mostly W203 electronics. You need to verify your instrument cluster supports this too first.

-s-
Any idea what the heater kit costs? Do you have the install instructions for the pre-2002? I assume the under hood stuff would be about the same.

I'm really interested in the TPMS. I find the EPS is much less active w/ the proper air pressure. I've been on some pretty hairy trails, haven't need to air down yet! I think I could fabricate the brackets. I would I find out if my cluster supports this?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:04 PM

you can probabably purcahse a kit for the heater to work on your wagon from Steve. I still need to finish the tire pressure system in my own car and yes, the antennas will require custom brackets to hold them adn my instrument cluster supports this feature. Would have to hook up DAS to check on yours.
I'll wait for Steve to chime in. Could you send me your install docs? It would at least give me an idea of the work involved and if I want to proceed.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
it runs off both battery and fuel. Runs about 1500-1800 depending on features. Installation is pretty long. Have to route new radiator hoses, fuel like from rear and harness from front to rear.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
it runs off both battery and fuel. Runs about 1500-1800 depending on features. Installation is pretty long. Have to route new radiator hoses, fuel like from rear and harness from front to rear.
The good thing on the G-class is that the "rear" SAM is in the center console, so the wiring harness does not need to run all over the inside of the car. The fuel lines do need to run from the back, but they go outside the car and that's pretty easy. The dash does have to come apart though and I think that's probably the biggest pain.

-s-
Old 01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
There is also an optional (aftermarket) tele unit that you can use to call your car and activate the heating system. You can use the remote about 1-1.5 mile away, and also use 1 of 3 different preset activation times to activate the heater. It's a pretty comprehensive package for being a heater.