some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 Acura RDX
some questions

Currently drive a BMW. Really like the seats in the MB. Have been having some back problems recently, and the MB seats do some magic that makes the pain go away...normally I come out of a car feeling worse.

I was considering the C coupe because it looks sportier. I car about gas mileage, but also care about handling, and since the 250 is lighter, it looks like most magazines are saying the 250 is more fun. So I'm figure out whether the care makes sense for me. The biggest drawback is the loss of manual transmission, but given that I want comfy seats, I don't think I have a choice. The A4 seats don't do it for me, nor do the BMW's. I could wait for the new 3 series, but based on how I feel in the 5, I don't think it will offer the MB magic comfort.

So some questions:

- Is the dynamic handling package standard in the US? It seems like it is since I don't see it listed in the options.

- If I don't care about the navigation, but I want the ability to play music off an SD card, what is the cheapest option I can go with? Would I need the premium 1, premium1 + multimedia, multimedia only, or can I get away without any packages?

- Does MB (not some third party) sell an extended warranty for the car to 100K? If so, about how much would that cost?

BTW, mbusa.com is bad. Where they have the 360 view for the car (specifically shown as a 250), they show 2 exhausts, when the car only has 1. So that's making me wonder how accurate the info is.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250CDI Coupe
Originally Posted by anoop

- Is the dynamic handling package standard in the US? It seems like it is since I don't see it listed in the options.
I can't answer the others (I'm from Australia and have no knowledge of MBUSA workings!) but from other threads going around this is another option, it's NOT an included option in the US, you need to specifically request it from the dealer if my reading in the w204 sedan threads is accurate.
See this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/4882841-post5.html

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 AM

2019 Acura RDX
Anyone know if there is a complete list of options anywhere online? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to pay a visit to the dealer.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 AM

2019 Acura RDX
After some googling, looks like it is a $1400 package but includes the 18-inch wheels.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...wd-options.htm
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
Dynamic handling is a special order only option. It is $1400 + 250 for the special order. I don't believe you will find any in stock, you will have to order. At the moment they are offering the Comand system which is multimedia (6 Disc)for $1330, which is a steal. I got a C350 Coupe with it and I has an SD card slot in the dash. You can also rip music from CDs to the hard drive. There is also a USB and iPod connection in the console but I don't know if the USB connection will play music without Comand. The C350 also has the Harmon Kardon radio, which is an option fom BMW.

I came out of a 128i with sport pkg/seats and much prefer the C350. The handling is not quite as tight but it is very good and unless you go to the track I don't think you will miss it. I have the stock suspension which is much sportier than my wife's C300 2011.

Last edited by ralawren; 10-26-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 AM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
There is no way that c250 is more fun than c350. It is absolutely underpowered and no fun at all. It is just my opinion and I would suggest you to test drive before, don't read magazines much, use your opinion. I love seats in mine C350, much better than my former G37x coupe seats.

Last edited by Breitling65; 11-13-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 PM

2019 Acura RDX
My dealer now tells me that Agility Control is standard on all US-spec coupes. He wasn't sure what the dynamic handling package adds.

However, on thinking about it some more, it looks like the dynamic handling package just lowers the suspension (and makes the comfort setting more firm in the process) and adds the 18" AMG wheels. But how to get confirmation of this?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM

C250CDI Coupe
My dealer now tells me that Agility Control is standard on all US-spec coupes. He wasn't sure what the dynamic handling package adds.

However, on thinking about it some more, it looks like the dynamic handling package just lowers the suspension (and makes the comfort setting more firm in the process) and adds the 18" AMG wheels. But how to get confirmation of this?
To my understanding, you have basic adaptive dampers in the default build (agility control). Dynamic handling adds the button to turn "sport" on & off. This button puts it in either comfort handling mode so you don't bust a kidney over a rough road and sports for sharper handling.
In addition it's dynamic based on speed. So think of it this way, you're adding mode options to an existing system in the car based on 2 separate profiles, one for comfort one for handling. This change also makes the acceleration sharper and gear changes quicker

Here's what people actually think of it on this forum.
(same/similar system to the 2010 models)
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rth-money.html
Note the guy on the second page who goes through his experience with it. Also note the dr jeckle and mr hyde comment earlier. That's what MB are trying to capture with this option, the ability for it to be a sedate luxury car around town when you can't use the accelerator, then the sporty fun car when you hit an open road.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 AM

2019 Acura RDX
Originally Posted by tharsis
To my understanding, you have basic adaptive dampers in the default build (agility control). Dynamic handling adds the button to turn "sport" on & off. This button puts it in either comfort handling mode so you don't bust a kidney over a rough road and sports for sharper handling.
In addition it's dynamic based on speed. So think of it this way, you're adding mode options to an existing system in the car based on 2 separate profiles, one for comfort one for handling. This change also makes the acceleration sharper and gear changes quicker
Based on what I was told, that button is standard on all coupes.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 AM

C250CDI Coupe
Based on what I was told, that button is standard on all coupes.
Then i better refrain from comment, it's a default option where i live (Australia) so i only know it with on the C class
Old 11-14-2011, 01:25 AM

2019 Acura RDX
Originally Posted by tharsis
Then i better refrain from comment, it's a default option where i live (Australia) so i only know it with on the C class
And based on this:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...specifications
it really does look like it's standard.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Compared to your 325i, the C250 will be tons of fun.

Dynamic Handling Package is definitely a must.

In order to get the SD card reader, I assume you need at least the Command Launch Package.

Sure, the C250 doesn't have much power, but compared to others, it's not bad. It's pretty nimble and the feedback is pretty good. I had plenty of fun with mine in Europe and I have two cars with well over 500hp that cost over double the price of the C250.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 AM

2012 ML63, 2017 SLC300
And based on this:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...specifications
it really does look like it's standard.
The Eco/Sport button just changes the transmission & throttle map. Nothing I've read yet indicates that it alters ride.

If you're wanting a sporty suspension, you'd want the optional sport package on the 250, which is standard on the 350. And if handling is your thing, I'd get the 18's too. The taller sidewalls on the 17" std wheel on the 250's is probably more comfort oriented. By the time you do those plus P1, the gap between the two gets pretty narrow.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM

2019 Acura RDX
Originally Posted by AronAZ
The Eco/Sport button just changes the transmission & throttle map. Nothing I've read yet indicates that it alters ride.

If you're wanting a sporty suspension, you'd want the optional sport package on the 250, which is standard on the 350. And if handling is your thing, I'd get the 18's too. The taller sidewalls on the 17" std wheel on the 250's is probably more comfort oriented. By the time you do those plus P1, the gap between the two gets pretty narrow.
In the link I sent, under the Chassis and "Traction/Stability Control Systems" it says:

AGILITY CONTROL suspension
Engineered specifically for performance driving, AGILITY CONTROL automatically adjusts the individual shock absorbers based on the road surface and the driver's current driving style. Valving inside each shock absorber automatically firms up during stronger body motions for sharper handling feedback and stability, and reduces the damping rates during gentler motions for a smoother, more composed ride.

Lowered, sport-tuned suspension
C-Class Coupes boast firmer coil springs and shock absorbers, as well as a lowered ride height, for sharper handling response and a more aggressive stance.
So while this looks like it doesn't have anything to do with the "sport" button, it looks like it is standard, and the sport button is standard as well. So I'm not sure what the dynamic handling package gives other than the 18" wheels.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM

C250CDI Coupe
In the link I sent, under the Chassis and "Traction/Stability Control Systems" it says:

So while this looks like it doesn't have anything to do with the "sport" button, it looks like it is standard, and the sport button is standard as well. So I'm not sure what the dynamic handling package gives other than the 18" wheels.
Note there's and "s" mode on the gearshift as well as a sport button. I think you may be confusing the two. Quotes below taken from the car online manual:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...ual_base.shtml
---
The most important part of the dynamic handling package with sports mode is the adjustable damping system. This automatically controls and adapts the suspension to the respective driving situation.

The calibration of the suspension depends on:
  • your driving style
  • the road surface conditions
  • your individual selection; see the following description
If your vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, the dynamic handling package with sports mode also includes steering wheel gearshift paddles more with a manual drive program more.
---

Sports tuning

The firmer setting of the suspension tuning in sports mode ensures even better contact with the road. Select this mode when employing a sporty driving style, e.g. on winding country roads.

Your selection remains stored until you switch off the engine.
---
Comfort tuning

In comfort mode, the driving characteristics of your vehicle are more comfortable. Therefore, select this mode if you prefer a more comfortable driving style. Select comfort mode also when driving fast on straight roads, e.g. on straight stretches of motorway
---
Now for the gearshift notes, this is a button near the gearshift and not on the main dash, seperate program/button to the handling button for the above.

Program selector button

General notes

The program selector button allows you to choose between different driving characteristics.

Drive program E (drive program C on AMG vehicles) is characterised by the following:
  • comfort-oriented engine and automatic transmission settings.
  • optimal fuel consumption resulting from the automatic transmission shifting up sooner.
  • the vehicle pulling away more gently in forward and reverse gears, unless the accelerator pedal is depressed fully.
  • increased sensitivity. This improves driving stability on slippery road surfaces, for example.
  • the automatic transmission shifting up sooner. This results in the vehicle being driven at lower engine speeds and the wheels being less likely to spin.
Drive program S (or, in the case of AMG vehicles, drive programs S and S+) is characterised by the following:
  • sporty engine and automatic transmission settings
  • the vehicle pulling away in first gear
  • the automatic transmission shifting up later
  • as a result of the later automatic transmission shift points, the fuel consumption possibly being higher
Again think of the active control suspension as the standard option. This is the computer controlled dampers fitted to the suspension on the car. The dynamic handling option then gives this system two modes to run in mentioned above. Where this gets confusing is it also does change the drive style some but also adjusting the throttle response ie less movement for more direct response, and steering wheel "feel" tighter/firmer in sport mode.
I can't talk about it being standard in the US but from what other owners are saying it is a separate option not listed in the US but available if you ask for it + a change fee.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 AM

2012 ML63, 2017 SLC300
agree. Agility is standard. I don't think Dynamic Handling is an option in the US.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by AronAZ
agree. Agility is standard. I don't think Dynamic Handling is an option in the US.
it is a special order option in the US. I have it.