Grill and Front Fascia Painted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
This will probably be one of the first mods I do to my C350 after I pick it up today. The window tints and and tint on tail lights, turn signals will be the first thing though. Just wondering I was thinking instead of painting and the potential of all the mess, wouldn't it be just easier to just get an aftermarket grille in black matte/gloss or whatever? Where can one look for those and how much do they go for?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by papashango
This will probably be one of the first mods I do to my C350 after I pick it up today. The window tints and and tint on tail lights, turn signals will be the first thing though. Just wondering I was thinking instead of painting and the potential of all the mess, wouldn't it be just easier to just get an aftermarket grille in black matte/gloss or whatever? Where can one look for those and how much do they go for?
you can find them online, but this was cheaper, and quicker for me. I'm impatient, so I hate waiting for ordered parts to get shipped and blah blah blah. I like my instant gratification...lol

Also, you would still have to paint the lower front fascia.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe 2012 (C204)
i'd have to agree with johnny. I spent a total of 20 bucks for my can of plastidip and now i have a total of 6 things dipped black (front fascia, grille, spoiler, chrome part of the trunk, the merc badge and C350 logo). If i had to buy all those parts in the black counterpart (minus the front fascia) it would've costed in excess of $200+.

Plus, at the end of my lease, i won't have the headache of trying to revert back to OEM and sell off all the aftermarket mods. I'll simply just peel it off
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I was looking on ebay and just the front grille's in matte black are close to $200. But I suck at DIY stuff and feel that I would probably ruin it if I tried to do it myself. And seems like so much hassle masking the surrounding areas off and then plastidipping. I did do that for my 350Z's badges and it stayed on for the longest time and the finish was decent. But i don't know if I feel comfortable doing the things as big as the grille.

Is there are good DIY around here with pictures that shows how to remove the front grille and replace it? I saw one around here somewhere but the pictures were all gone and the directions weren't necessarily the easiest to understand.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
check the DIY thread at the top of this forum, otherwise the taping off is not bad, only took about 15 minutes, you just want to make sure you dont get that on the radiator. As for messing up, if you do, just let it dry, peel it off, and start again. that's the beauty of PlastiDip.