Mp3 transfer to hard drive

Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Mp3 transfer to hard drive

Can you only use CD's to copy mp3's to the command center hard drive? I tried with an SD card and didn't see how to copy them. Would a memory stick work connected via USB? I have a lot from iTunes that I want to save on the hard drive.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
Need to be WMATA files either originals or ripped versions.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 AM

C250 CDI Coupe Ed125
As above, due to copyright issues you can only copy from CD audio. I bought a large USB and have all my music from iTunes on there.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM

C250 Coupe Nissan 350Z
but if i burn my mp3 onto a audio CD (not mp3 CD) would I be able to rip the songs that way?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM

C250 CDI Coupe Ed125
Originally Posted by kingsingh47
but if i burn my mp3 onto a audio CD (not mp3 CD) would I be able to rip the songs that way?
If the tracks on the CD are CD audio and not mp3's then it'll copy them - if however its just a CD full of mp3's it'll play them but not copy them (I think!)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM

C43
I was able to burn mp3's to a disk and then copy them to the hard drive in the car. Only catch is that the descriptions of the artists and songs didn't come over. I suspect I need to do some prep work prior to buring the CD so the information is burned on the CD as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Sommy
I was able to burn mp3's to a disk and then copy them to the hard drive in the car. Only catch is that the descriptions of the artists and songs didn't come over. I suspect I need to do some prep work prior to buring the CD so the information is burned on the CD as well.
Just to confirm...You were able to put a bunch of MP3s on a CD, then copy them to the hard drive? I am only asking because everyone else seemed to say that you could not copy MP3s to the hard drive, only CDs.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:21 PM

C43
I'm 99% sure that's what I did. I didn't watch that closely as far as formats and such, but it is music I downloaded and then burned it to a CD-RW. I then copied it to the hard drive. I plan on clearing the music off and copying again to the same CD since it's a RW.

I think the issue that I had, and others have mentioned is that you can't copy from your Ipod or memory card straight to the hard drive. It has to be on a disc first then to the hard drive.

It's really archaic if you ask me. A lot of people don't buy CD's anymore, just download MP3's, so that functionality should be there. I bet CD players start disappearing from cars in 5 years.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Unfortunately you can not copy Mp3's onto the hard drive. You can only rip mp3's off of audio CD. There used to be an option to allow it in the engineering menu, but when i got my new car I noticed they removed it. My new car is a 2012, my last one was a 2009, so I'm not sure when they changed that, but its between those model years.

So long story short, you cannot load a data disk with mp3's and transfer them over any more.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 PM

C43
Yes, you can transfer mp3's from a CD to the internal hard drive. I just verified the format of the files I was able to transfer. So while that works, it's still a pain none the less.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Yes, you can transfer mp3's from a CD to the internal hard drive. I just verified the format of the files I was able to transfer. So while that works, it's still a pain none the less.
No you can't.
You can only transfer Audio CDs, not MP3 CDs (in US spec 2012 models, to be specific.) You may be confusing your terminology, as many people find it confusing to differentiate between an MP3 CD and an Audio CD. You can burn both MP3 CDs or Audio CDs from the MP3s on your computer.

If you are indeed somehow copying true MP3 CDs, then you are doing something very different from everyone else who has tried and failed.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM

C250 Coupe Nissan 350Z
Originally Posted by acr2001
No you can't.
You can only transfer Audio CDs, not MP3 CDs (in US spec 2012 models, to be specific.) You may be confusing your terminology, as many people find it confusing to differentiate between an MP3 CD and an Audio CD. You can burn both MP3 CDs or Audio CDs from the MP3s on your computer.

If you are indeed somehow copying true MP3 CDs, then you are doing something very different from everyone else who has tried and failed.
From what I heard from my dealer, AUST Spec can still have the option of copying mp3 from USB or CDs, I am taking mine in tomorrow to have them turn it on.

Will post when done
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 AM

C43
Okay - apparently I just made up the whole thing and when I look at the format I'm misreading the file extension of mp3?

Quick recap of what I did and you can tell me if I was just dreaming - I downloaded a full CD from iTunes. From iTunes I burned it to a CD. While on the computer I checked the format of the files that I copied onto the CD and they are MP3's. I then walked to the car, inserted the disk in the player and copied it to the hard drive. I remove the CD and am now able to listen to all the songs on the hard drive. I have done this with 2 CD's. We can agree to disagree, rather than starting a debate amongst us MB fans.

What is Aust Spec? I would still prefer to transfer form a USB, rather than a CD.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay - apparently I just made up the whole thing and when I look at the format I'm misreading the file extension of mp3?

Quick recap of what I did and you can tell me if I was just dreaming - I downloaded a full CD from iTunes. From iTunes I burned it to a CD. While on the computer I checked the format of the files that I copied onto the CD and they are MP3's. I then walked to the car, inserted the disk in the player and copied it to the hard drive. I remove the CD and am now able to listen to all the songs on the hard drive. I have done this with 2 CD's. We can agree to disagree, rather than starting a debate amongst us MB fans.

What is Aust Spec? I would still prefer to transfer form a USB, rather than a CD.
I hope that you are correct, but I can't copy my 100+ MP3's loaded on a single CD to the hard drive. I just loaded my MP3's on a SD card and leave that in the slot. I can get around 250 tracks per 1 Gig on the SD card.

Itunes downloads in AAC format as its native format. This gives the best audio quality in the download. AAC can then be burned to a CD by selecting Burn Audio CD (you will completely fill the CD with 10 to 15 tracks).

Here's info from an ITunes help site of how to change AAC to MP3:

First go to iTunes menu EDIT/PREFERENCES/under GENERAL tab, click IMPORT SETTING button. Under IMPORT USING choose MP3 encoder. OK, OK.

Right mouse the music from music library and choose create mp3 format and it will create a duplicate music in mp3 format. Right mouse click the mp3 music and select 'Get info' will give you location of the mp3 file.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM

C250 Coupe Nissan 350Z
Hey,

Just to confirm, in Australia, we have no problems transferring music across.

I tried today on my new Coupe and was able to transfer whatever songs I had on my USB on to the music register

I was worried because a lot of my music I purchase of iTunes, but those played and transferred as well

So maybe not being able to do it via USB etc must be a US problem? Cause here in Australia alll is good
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic

I'm not trying to argue nor did I ever insinuate that you made anything up. You just don't realize that you burnt a Music CD from iTunes, not an MP3 CD. It's no biggie!

He means Australian spec Mercedes vehicles, and that sounds correct. It's only the US spec models that have this disabled from what I understand.