iPhone 5 compatibility and USB to iPod Interface Question

Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sedan Sport, Iridium Silver, P1, S32, Pano, Lighting Pkg
I've been reading through the developer docs for the 5, and it sounds like the Lightning to 30pin adapter that's on the way will let our phones charge and play music just like the older ones, steering wheel controls and song info display included. This is, of course, assuming that I'm reading them correctly. =)

Also, the "iPod out" functionality being referred to above is a special mode that only got used by some car integration kits in BMW's and Mini's. it actually showed the iPod interface from the device directly on the nav screen. Shouldn't affect us at all.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM

2012 e350
USB Doesn't charge

In my opinion the main problem is not the playing of music as that can be done through the Bluetooth, but the new adapter does not charge the iPhone when inserted into the USB. This becomes even worse as the new iPhone seems to drain its battery much quicker than the previous iPhone. I currently have no way to charge my phone in my car as the lightning adapter is not out yet. This is obviously a ploy by Apple to get their consumers to spend more money as I don't think the new lightning adapter was necessary.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Hi guys,

Once this is a related subject, here it goes: I have an iPhone 4S, ios6 and a c350 2013 with command. I can not see text messages on my car screen. This what I did so far:

Paired the phone with command, check mark the notification option on the Bluetooth options on the phone, turn command on and off several times.
I can see the txt messages option on the screen(it's not grey), but when I click I always get the message "no txt messages" on the screen, even when I just received a new txt message on the phone(SMS Messages).
Any help would be much appreciated.
Sergio
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM

2012 C300 4Matic Sedan Sport, Iridium Silver, P1, S32, Pano, Lighting Pkg
Sounds like you've got most of the process down properly. I was having similar problems with my iPhone 4 while waiting on my new one. Here's how I got mine working.

I'm going to assume that you already had the phone paired with the car prior to iOS6. If this is the case, you'll need to make sure that you remove the pairing on both sides of the connection.

Go into the bluetooth settings, tap the blue circled-arrow icon on the "MB Bluetooth" entry, then tap "forget this device" at the top.

Next, in the car, go into the "phone" menu and choose "connect phones". Select your device in the list and click the COMAND knob to the right to access that little "details" side menu and choose delete from the list.

Once they're both cleared out, you should be able to re-pair the device to the car, then go into the bluetooth settings on the phone again, and re-enable the "Show Notifications" setting like you did before.

Bluetooth car integration systems are weird sometimes, as they only look at the capabilities of a device when they've never seen it before. It makes bad assumptions about things unless you tell it to forget about that particular device.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM

2014 ML 350 BT
I did all these and same results. I can see the txt messages highlighted on the screen but when I click all I get is "no txt messages".
Now, even better. I connected my wife's blackberry and voila..... Everything works like a charm!!!!
Of course the problem is with my iPhone!!!! But what?!?!? It is a iPhone 4S, and I did the upgrade for ios6!!! Is there any settings on the iPhone for Bluetooth MAP protocol?!?!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 PM

2014 ML 350 BT
I got it!!!!
Besides all the above, on the iPhone, the option "view in lock screen" under settings/notifications/messages has to be "ON".
You just get the new messages, the old ones you don't see on the command.
Now the best part: do the same settings for emails and you will see them as well, just like messages!!!!

PS. I just notice I am on the wrong forum (coupe)! Sorry.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Good News - I am 99.99% sure that the iPhone 5 with a adapter will have 100% same functionality that previous iPhone 4/4S have had. This is becuase the Mercedes Comand system does not use the "iPod Out" functionality, which is essentially where the car ports the iPhone/iPod's screen to your screen.

We are simply supplied with the phone music data via analog. What this means is that steering wheel controls and music will still play with the adapter. Crisis averted.

I am still awaiting official word from MBUSA, and I am also waiting to get my adapter. I have the iPhone 5 but there is a delay for the adapters... Go figure?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:55 AM

C250 CDI Coupe Ed125
Help please! Is it the updated IOS6 that's allowing users of iPhones to access SMS via Comand or is it an updated Comand? I have IOS6 on iPhone 5, but a 2011 Coupe. I've tried all the above steps but still can't access SMS in car - is it me? Or my car / Comand? The SMS is greyed out and I can't see anywhere within Comand to change any settings to affect this (does it just enable it when it finds a phone that it 'works' with?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM

2014 ML 350 BT
For sure it is not the combo iPhone 5 and ios6. Could be your version of command. Why don't you try to sync one new blackberry(I did this with my wife's phone) and see if that work. If doesn't work, you know it is your version of command.
Just first make sure you follow all the steps with iPhone :

1 - remove iPhone from command.
2 - remove mb command from iPhone.
3 - repair iPhone with command
4 - on the phone, turn on notifications under setting/Bluetooth/messages
5 - on the phone, turn on notification when lock(bottom option) under settings/notifications/messages, and choose to show as a banner in the first option on the same screen. (Note this is different from step 4).

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM

2014 ML 350 BT
And as far as i know there are no settings on command to enable/disable txt messages.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM

C250 CDI Coupe Ed125
Originally Posted by Samaral
For sure it is not the combo iPhone 5 and ios6. Could be your version of command. Why don't you try to sync one new blackberry(I did this with my wife's phone) and see if that work. If doesn't work, you know it is your version of command.
Just first make sure you follow all the steps with iPhone :

1 - remove iPhone from command.
2 - remove mb command from iPhone.
3 - repair iPhone with command
4 - on the phone, turn on notifications under setting/Bluetooth/messages
5 - on the phone, turn on notification when lock(bottom option) under settings/notifications/messages, and choose to show as a banner in the first option on the same screen. (Note this is different from step 4).

Cheers.
Many thanks - I'd failed to do step 4 as I didn't realise you had to / there was an option to enable notifications within Bluetooth settings on the phone!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:22 PM

2013 C204
Originally Posted by jctevere
Good News - I am 99.99% sure that the iPhone 5 with a adapter will have 100% same functionality that previous iPhone 4/4S have had. This is becuase the Mercedes Comand system does not use the "iPod Out" functionality, which is essentially where the car ports the iPhone/iPod's screen to your screen.

We are simply supplied with the phone music data via analog. What this means is that steering wheel controls and music will still play with the adapter. Crisis averted.

I am still awaiting official word from MBUSA, and I am also waiting to get my adapter. I have the iPhone 5 but there is a delay for the adapters... Go figure?
I hope you're right my friend.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by jctevere

In bold, are you sure? Many source that have asked Apple about this and posted articles state no steering wheel control even with the adapter. This is just one of them:

http://gizmodo.com/5943125/that-stup...o-and-ipod-out
Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
BTW. Any good car holder for iphone5/C coupe you might suggest?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM

C250
CDI250 - iPhone 5 connectivity

Originally Posted by 2012c250coupe
Thank you very much. Did the same thing. After a few mins of searching it found it.
Hi there. now you have connected the iPhone 5 to your C350, does all the streaming functionality work with music, album covers, searching etc. I currently have CDI250 and iPhone 4S, which works brilliantly, but just smashed the phone and looking to upgrade to the 5, but want to make sure the same seamless functionality works. Appreciate your comments.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM

iphone 5

The iphone 4 works with ipod connectivity and you can change song's and play lists. I am also waiting on the iphone 5 and hope it will work with the thunderbolt to 30 pin connector attached. ML 320cdi 2007
Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Some news from MB on the issue - not too good:

"MB_Craig | 10/05/12 03:49 pm

Hello,

MBUSA is aware of this issue and the current plan is to develop a new 8 PIN "Lightning" Media interface cable to replace the current 30 PIN connectors. This is expected to be introduced sometime in the first quarter of 2013

Thanks."

Well, at least they have a cable underway expected to be released early next year. But that is certainly far from "ideal". In the meantime bluetooth A2DP streaming in my vehicle with my iPhone 5 has been great. Song changes seem to play almost instantly now (versus my older iPhone 4) but the song information still takes about the same time to pop-up.

Regardless, I still plan on getting the Lighting adapter as soon as my local Apple Store gets them in stock. I will try it out with my vehicle and keep my fingers crossed that for some reason, everything works as expected...

With all of this said, I really don't blame apple for changing the connector too much. I know it is rather annoying but its one of those things that "had to be done". The old connector was huge and on old technology. I went through 2 iPod connection kits and one iPhone within 6 months of getting my car because the connectors went bad. Not to mention how many iHomes and other peripherals stopped working.

I guess though it would have been nice to have some more added benefits besides being reversible. Something like USB 3.0 support/thunderbolt support comes to mind. But I'm really going to bring up to MB that things like this should try to be avoided as best as possible going forward. Why couldn't our USB ports be used to connect our devices and control through the steering wheel like other "budget" vehicles?

Last edited by jctevere; 10-06-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 AM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Originally Posted by K-Bizzle
In my opinion the main problem is not the playing of music as that can be done through the Bluetooth, but the new adapter does not charge the iPhone when inserted into the USB. This becomes even worse as the new iPhone seems to drain its battery much quicker than the previous iPhone. I currently have no way to charge my phone in my car as the lightning adapter is not out yet. This is obviously a ploy by Apple to get their consumers to spend more money as I don't think the new lightning adapter was necessary.

Get extra lighting cable ($19 in apple store) and connect to any usb out charger, works fine for me. Any of my former iphone4 chargers having USB charging port out, so not much of a problems. Could charge my ipad3 and iphone5 same time, such chargers with extra usb out port are sold everywhere from BestBuy to ATT/Verizon stores.

Last edited by Breitling65; 10-07-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
More Information from MB! It appears they haven't yet been able to get their hands on the Lighting => 30 pin adapter yet for testing:

"MB_Craig | 10/10/12 10:12 am
Hello

My understanding is we are testing the apple adaper so that could hopefully be a solution for current customers. Results should be available later this month.

Thanks"

Perhaps there is some luck. They finally got a hold of the adapter (as Apple started shipping them finally), so they will know by the end of the month. Additionally, I am also planning on pickup up an adapter as soon as my local store gets some in stock to test it out myself. Stay Tuned - Wish me luck!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Good News! I tried out my adapter and everything works perfectly just like it did before on other iPhones. Steering wheel controls, album cover art, titles, etc!

Very glad that the lighting to 30 pin adapter from Apple works in our Mercedes vehicles! One thing to note, is that the bumper case for my iPhone 5 is only designed for the lightning cable. The Adapter is a little clunkier and won't fit unless I take off my bumper case.

Looks like I am going to get the lighting - 30 pin cable instead of just the adapter piece so I don't have to keep taking off my case!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

C250 Coupe
I don't know what all the concern was about...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by viZual
I don't know what all the concern was about...
The adapter does not support "iPod Out" which newer model BMW's and Mini's utilized (which pretty much transport the iPod screen onto the car's screen). It pretty much meant that even with the adapter, the car's dock would not work or allow steering wheel controls.

We were unsure what Mercedes-Benz used to connect the iPod/iPhone to the Comand system. Whatever they use, it still retains 100% functionality (that I can tell) with the Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM

2013 C204
JC where did you get your adapter from? Is it the generic version? Cause nobody has the adapter in stores yet.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Just got in from trying the new adapter in the car for the 1st time.. It all appeared to be working until I tried to play something from my playlists. Some entries opened up but the songs it listed were not from that playlist and some had no songs listed at all..The songs are there as I found them doing a artist search so not sure what the issue is with playlists.. I have synched by phone with itunes again and will try again tomorrow to see if it has the same problem..
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM

Went out and tried it again after synching again but still have the same problem with playlists.. So looks like the adapter works but not as well as it could do..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPhone 5 compatibility and USB to iPod Interface Question