Do our paddle shifters suck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupe
I like the Sports mode, but dislike that when I'm coming to a stop, it'll rev match downshift for me. Sometimes when I come to a stop rather more aggressively, it'll blip the throttle up to 4k or something. Sounds redundant and those around me think I'm being douchey.

Also, regarding that it's impossible to retrofit seeing it's a hardware issue, I have to disagree to a certain point. Read below:

For those who have the 2013 C250 with Sports "Plus" Package, try to manually upshift/downshift while in "E" mode. 90% of the time, the car will listen to you if it's in the correct rpm range.

Now try doing the same thing in "S" mode this time. What happens? Thar car listens to you probably 20% of the time depending on how much pressure you put on the gas pedal.

So, the car DOES listen to our shifts while in "E" mode, which means it's a software issue, and it probably isn't programmed to do that in "S" mode. Therefore, it's possible that we could get someone to make a reflash for us so that the car listens to us in Sports mode...
Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Honda S2000 / 2013 C250 Sport+
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe
I like the Sports mode, but dislike that when I'm coming to a stop, it'll rev match downshift for me. Sometimes when I come to a stop rather more aggressively, it'll blip the throttle up to 4k or something. Sounds redundant and those around me think I'm being douchey.

Also, regarding that it's impossible to retrofit seeing it's a hardware issue, I have to disagree to a certain point. Read below:

For those who have the 2013 C250 with Sports "Plus" Package, try to manually upshift/downshift while in "E" mode. 90% of the time, the car will listen to you if it's in the correct rpm range.

Now try doing the same thing in "S" mode this time. What happens? Thar car listens to you probably 20% of the time depending on how much pressure you put on the gas pedal.

So, the car DOES listen to our shifts while in "E" mode, which means it's a software issue, and it probably isn't programmed to do that in "S" mode. Therefore, it's possible that we could get someone to make a reflash for us so that the car listens to us in Sports mode...
LOL ive noticed that too. when i first got the car i would paddle shift in S and when i would try to go to 4th or 5th it just wouldnt shift gears. then id hit it again thinking that it just wasnt registering. then id downshift to go back down and it would rev match to like 4krpms b/c it goes to 3rd. for the most part, i dont even bother with the paddles anymore. like someone said earlier, paddles have a specific time and place. 99% of the time you are not in that specific time or place lol
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 AM

2012 C350 4MATIC
Getting some more experience with the paddle shifters (and gear knob) has definitely improved my driving experience with the car. You really have to forget about how you've driven manual shifts in the past and understand that'll your need to shift is reduced by 75%. The shifters are basically good for dropping down gears and putting the car in somewhat of an "Extreme Sport Mode". From there let it do its thing, it's going to upshift when it needs to. Upshifting manually will often times cause to car to go up 2 gears because you and ecu shifted simultaneously (it would be nice if they adjusted this software to prevent this from happening). When you slow down going around bends downshift as needed to get your RPMs where you want and forget about upshifting again. In my opinion upshifting is basically only used when you're ready to put the car in back into Drive.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI

That's very interesting, I'll have to bring this up with my MB rep and also re-test drive a 'performance plus' equipped C250 in sport mode more of the time and see how it behaves.

When I test drove a C250 sport plus sedan not long ago I did leave the sport selection off as I was more interested to see how different it's normal behaviour was compared to non sport plus.

From my research so far the rev match feature is hardware and software related however the shift instruction sounds software related and as you say there should be a way of altering it.

I'll know by early next month if this is possible or not via an MB dealer
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
That's very interesting, I'll have to bring this up with my MB rep and also re-test drive a 'performance plus' equipped C250 in sport mode more of the time and see how it behaves.

When I test drove a C250 sport plus sedan not long ago I did leave the sport selection off as I was more interested to see how different it's normal behaviour was compared to non sport plus.

From my research so far the rev match feature is hardware and software related however the shift instruction sounds software related and as you say there should be a way of altering it.

I'll know by early next month if this is possible or not via an MB dealer
Please keep us updated!

I think it's as simple as switching out the current map for the sports mode. Do MB dealers have custom maps I don't know. I doubt it... However, tuner shops may be able to alter it..........
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 Coupe

Must say I disagree on the the down shifts. I love it when I'm driving along a road where the speed limit is say 80 and the lights go yellow and the car rev matches down a couple of gears as you're slowing down. It's smooth, its cool seeing the needle jump up thoug the revs and it sounds good. Have you driven a paddle shift car pre 09? Say like a CLK 280 or something like that with a AMG pack? The previous 7 G Tronic (compared with the newer 7 G Tronic Plus) is far slower and doesn't rev match the down shifts. You either have to jab the throttle at the right moment like a manual or feel the transmission find the right rpm. You also don't want to do it from 3rd to 2nd as the rev jump is too much and the lack of rev matching makes it feel uncomfortable. IMO a decent set of paddle shifters needs rev matching to be fun and effective. The car is also far more unsettled with the rev matching, when setting yourself up for a corner.

As for Sports mode on and manual mode on together (dynamic handling package) the paddles at least in my 350 do what you want them to. There is far less delay than in economy/comfort with paddles.

I guess what I'm getting at with this rant is I really like my dynamic handling package, my AMG package and my paddles. I really don't have any complaints. I have noticed a non AMG pack coupe does shift slightly slower all modes and isn't as fun to drive. The softer suspension in both modes also isn't as enjoyabe for someone who likes corners and driving.

The Mercedes-Benz paddles in a car equipped correctly don't suck.

A little quicker shifting might be nice, but under decent throttle or braking they're pretty quick anyway.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM

c250
Originally Posted by Blickling
Must say I disagree on the the down shifts. I love it when I'm driving along a road where the speed limit is say 80 and the lights go yellow and the car rev matches down a couple of gears as you're slowing down. It's smooth, its cool seeing the needle jump up thoug the revs and it sounds good. Have you driven a paddle shift car pre 09? Say like a CLK 280 or something like that with a AMG pack? The previous 7 G Tronic (compared with the newer 7 G Tronic Plus) is far slower and doesn't rev match the down shifts. You either have to jab the throttle at the right moment like a manual or feel the transmission find the right rpm. You also don't want to do it from 3rd to 2nd as the rev jump is too much and the lack of rev matching makes it feel uncomfortable. IMO a decent set of paddle shifters needs rev matching to be fun and effective. The car is also far more unsettled with the rev matching, when setting yourself up for a corner.

As for Sports mode on and manual mode on together (dynamic handling package) the paddles at least in my 350 do what you want them to. There is far less delay than in economy/comfort with paddles.

I guess what I'm getting at with this rant is I really like my dynamic handling package, my AMG package and my paddles. I really don't have any complaints. I have noticed a non AMG pack coupe does shift slightly slower all modes and isn't as fun to drive. The softer suspension in both modes also isn't as enjoyabe for someone who likes corners and driving.

The Mercedes-Benz paddles in a car equipped correctly don't suck.

A little quicker shifting might be nice, but under decent throttle or braking they're pretty quick anyway.
Hi, do you live in the U.S.? If so, did you have to specifically request your car to be equipped with Dynamic Handling Package? It's not on MBUSA website so I heard you have to request it from the dealer.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Please keep us updated!

I think it's as simple as switching out the current map for the sports mode. Do MB dealers have custom maps I don't know. I doubt it... However, tuner shops may be able to alter it..........
I'm fairly certain MB dealers or even MB in general do not have custom maps of any sort, they only have set production OEM control software, it's going to be a case of trying to get an alternative control software map installed if possible.

As for aftermarket tuners being able to do this or not is unknown unless more research is done and more time passes, some may get onto this side of things maybe companies like Brabus etc. may in future offer such tuning solutions - fingers crossed
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by fayte
Hi, do you live in the U.S.? If so, did you have to specifically request your car to be equipped with Dynamic Handling Package? It's not on MBUSA website so I heard you have to request it from the dealer.
I live in Australia. I'll try and explain it the best I can - AV1 can correct me if im wrong.

In Australia when you buy either a C250 petrol, C250 diesel or C350 petrol coupe (note not C180 Coupe or C63 AMG) - Your car comes standard with the dynamic handling package. It's an option for the sedans. What it is is a silver button - a couple to the left of the hazards - which has "sport" written on it. Thi is instead of having a button near the gear stick which reads E & S, or E, S & M. Ours just reads M.

When you push the Sport button your car goes into Sport and out of Economy. Furthermore, the car suspension firms up and lowers by 10 mm. How it does this and what differentiates this from adjustable coilovers, I don't fully know. Haven't researched enough about suspension. All the cars with this dynamic handling package come with paddle shifters - irrespective of AMG Package or not. The Sport button also gives you the rev matching down changes and better changes. It's certainly more aggressive than a standard C Class.