Do our paddle shifters suck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 4MATIC
Do our paddle shifters suck?

I'm just wondering if everybody has the same overstated delay when paddle shifting? It seems that the response time is terrible compared to other paddle shifters that I've played with. I have a 2012 C350, shift and wait...

I WANT THE POWER NOW!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C350 4matic coupe
I think it's more the shifting logic. I don't want to limit the max gear, I want to select the specific gear. And I agree, make it instantaneous, not having to wait a sec or two. The paddles themselves are good.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
they all are besides very expensive sports cars, it is my third car with paddles and all sucks on this
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
just have to anticipate it and shift a bit ahead of the redline if your going WOT.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
It's a gear limiter, not a "manual shifter". So yes, it sucks. c63 has a manual shifter.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by JohnnyUte
I think it's more the shifting logic. I don't want to limit the max gear, I want to select the specific gear. And I agree, make it instantaneous, not having to wait a sec or two. The paddles themselves are good.
+ 1

They've (MB) have done something about it with the optional AMG sports plus package option, I've test driven a C250 petrol sedan with it and the shifts in manual mode are much definitely faster with that inclusion and it'll hold gears longer at redline rather than shifting up as before, it'll never be as quick and sharp however as a proper dual clutch type transmission.

Also the shifter paddles themselves in the sports plus package are silver rather than plain black plastic finish which is a nice touch.

I love paddle shifters on auto vehicles I've actually swapped out my whole steering wheel for an AMG C63 unit as I love the larger alloy shifter paddles and also the flattened top profile of the steering wheel itself
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
Then is there a chance that there may be a way of hacking the software to upgrade to the same AMG program? Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM

2012 C350 4MATIC
I should clarify a bit. The paddle shifters themselves are nice, nicer the ones on my 335i, it's just the lack of responsiveness that bothers me. I was hoping for more of an F1 type of experience.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by ZachB
it's just the lack of responsiveness that bothers me. I was hoping for more of an F1 type of experience.
If you buy a MY 2013 MB C Class with added 'sport plus' AMG option package, that's exactly what you'll have previously to that unfortunately no

ralawren I've already enquired about that one with my MB dealership, so far they do not have answers, however I suspect it's both hardware and software changes/additions which then means it's not upgradeable.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM

C350 4matic coupe
Everything is upgradeable, just how much do you want to spend...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupe
Already made my complaint a while ago:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...orts-mode.html

PS: I have the AMG Sports Package. Paddle shift will become unresponsive depending on how much throttle you give the car. If you give it a subtle throttle and upshift at higher than 2k rpm in Sports mode, it'll listen to you. Otherwise, it'll shift when it wants to.

In Economy mode, 90% of the time the paddle shift will listen to you if you're in the desirable rpm the computer thinks it can start shifting at.

Last edited by AllEyesOnMe; 03-02-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by JohnnyUte
Everything is upgradeable, just how much do you want to spend...
I wish that were true, however if it is specific hardware differences to the transmission etc. I highly doubt it's possible unless the whole thing is swapped over, that is something my MB dealer tells me is impossible regardless of the $ required

Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe
Already made my complaint a while ago:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...orts-mode.html

PS: I have the AMG Sports Package. Paddle shift will become unresponsive depending on how much throttle you give the car. If you give it a subtle throttle and upshift at higher than 2k rpm in Sports mode, it'll listen to you. Otherwise, it'll shift when it wants to.

In Economy mode, 90% of the time the paddle shift will listen to you if you're in the desirable rpm the computer thinks it can start shifting at.
I too have the AMG sports package, what I was referring to earlier is the AMG "sports plus" package, (is yours a sport plus package) it's the "plus" that has the added goodies and is only available from MY '13 onwards - it is distinguishable by the different wheels and interior trim as well

As mentioned I've test driven a C250 petrol sedan such equipped and it drives like an almost completely different car compared to the standard AMG sport package, the plus package also features fixed rate conventional dampers instead of the adaptable magnetic dampers, I actually prefer the latter, the sports plus equipped car rides to hard/harsh for my liking.

Last edited by AV1; 03-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 AM

C Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
I wish that were true, however if it is specific hardware differences to the transmission etc. I highly doubt it's possible unless the whole thing is swapped over, that is something my MB dealer tells me is impossible regardless of the $ required

I too have the AMG sports package, what I was referring to earlier is the AMG "sports plus" package, (is yours a sport plus package) it's the "plus" that has the added goodies and is only available from MY '13 onwards - it is distinguishable by the different wheels and interior trim as well

As mentioned I've test driven a C250 petrol sedan such equipped and it drives like an almost completely different car compared to the standard AMG sport package, the plus package also features fixed rate conventional dampers instead of the adaptable magnetic dampers, I actually prefer the latter, the sports plus equipped car rides to hard/harsh for my liking.

What exactly is "MY?"
Also, my car looks like that with red seat belts, black trim with red stitching interior.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:03 AM

C350 Coupe
I personally have no issues with the paddle shifters in my C350 Coupe.

In Australia the dynamic handling package with the adjustable suspension is standard, and I have the AMG sports package as well.

Under power or brakes, with the sport button on and the paddles in manual they work great - fast upshifts and rev matched down shifts. Not quite as quick as a new F30 335i sedan with the 8 speed, but not by much.

If you drive around slowly or witout much throttle and use manual mode, it will respond slower because the car doesn't think you need the response.

In a nutshell - I'd say the paddle shifters are a "time and a place" sort of thing. I never use them in traffic.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
Mine are working perfectly fine, as well. As discussed in a previous thread, the difference between the cars comes from the fact that some cars don't have the M (manual) mode but just S and E which means that the driver is using the paddles just for restricting the gearbox not to shift above a certain gear.

Using the Manual mode is not suitable for driving in the traffic but it is a pure bless on a twisty mountain road, for example.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM

C Coupe
Dynamic Handling Package comes with an extra "M" option. This is really the answer everyone is looking for regarding the slow responding transmission.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
What exactly is "MY?"
Also, my car looks like that with red seat belts, black trim with red stitching interior.

MY is Model Year, usually in most markets it begins from July 1st until end of June of each year

Originally Posted by Blickling
I personally have no issues with the paddle shifters in my C350 Coupe.

In Australia the dynamic handling package with the adjustable suspension is standard, and I have the AMG sports package as well.

Under power or brakes, with the sport button on and the paddles in manual they work great - fast upshifts and rev matched down shifts. Not quite as quick as a new F30 335i sedan with the 8 speed, but not by much.

If you drive around slowly or witout much throttle and use manual mode, it will respond slower because the car doesn't think you need the response.

In a nutshell - I'd say the paddle shifters are a "time and a place" sort of thing. I never use them in traffic.
Completely agree with the last paragraph, definitely a case of proper time and place for their use

Dynamic Handling Package comes with an extra "M" option. This is really the answer everyone is looking for regarding the slow responding transmission.
It's a market to market dependent thing
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 AM

2015 C250 Coupe
Out of curiosity, is it possible to swap the ecu ( or whatever part it is) that makes the C250 coupes with AMG Sports Plus Package have the blip on the downshift? It's likely more things than that but I'm talking about the basic concept of retrofitting this.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I think it would be more of the transmission control unit, and to a lessor extent, the engine ECU.

I have the Sport Plus as part of the sport package and I think that the car shifts very well using the paddle shifters.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM

C350 4matic coupe
On my C350 4Matic, it blips on downshift. I heard to have the actual manual there are some hardware differences, don't know for sure. I'd be fine with a straight manual gear select vice the gear limiter.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 AM

2015 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by capt_paul
I think it would be more of the transmission control unit, and to a lessor extent, the engine ECU.

I have the Sport Plus as part of the sport package and I think that the car shifts very well using the paddle shifters.
Thats It! I couldn't think of what unit it was and all I could think of was ECU. But I'd be interested in knowing if it could be retrofitted to cars that don't come with that package. Such as my 13 C250 Sedan.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Matt-erhorn
Thats It! I couldn't think of what unit it was and all I could think of was ECU. But I'd be interested in knowing if it could be retrofitted to cars that don't come with that package. Such as my 13 C250 Sedan.
If you read some of the previous posts it's exactly what I've outlined on the topic

Had some more feed back this week and as far as MB Australia are concerned anyway it's a definite no, ie. it cannot be retro fitted to non AMG sport plus vehicles It may be a different story in other markets if anyone else has info on that one please share

Also it does seem to include specific hardware as well as software systems changes it's not limited to control software only.

We will only know for certain given more time, as there may be an after market solution or if some tuning shop explores it all further.

Just speaking for myself having driven a sport plus package equipped vehicle it's a bit of a mixed bag, love the better and very noticeable trans response upgrade and rev matched/blipped down shifts but thats about it, the steering upgrade made no difference to me, the ride height is the same as the standard AMG package not lower as the literature claims, the ride itself is too stiff or firm especially over bumps with the fixed rate dampers compared to the standard adaptive magnetic AMG suspension, not a fan of the wheels or the limited one off interior trim colour choice either, much prefer my flamenco red interior (personal choice) however I think it would be nice to have the augmented trans set up
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 AM

2001 Honda S2000 / 2013 C250 Sport+
What exactly is "MY?"

it is only the C250 coupes that have the Sports Plus package. the C350 coupes and the sedans can only get the Sport package. for the most part, people in here have been praising the Sports Plus paddles
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 AM

2012 C350 4MATIC
Not to be a downer, but I'm already getting kind of bored with this car. Mainly because of it's initial lack of responsiveness. I hit the pedal and it thinks about downshifting for a second before it actually springs into action, even in Sport mode. I use the paddles and they either wait for a second to downshift or it will upshift right as I hit the paddle to upshift and sends me two gears higher bringing any fun or perfomance to a screeching halt. Maybe I just need more experience with driving this particular model, we'll see.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM

2001 Honda S2000 / 2013 C250 Sport+
Originally Posted by ZachB
Not to be a downer, but I'm already getting kind of bored with this car. Mainly because of it's initial lack of responsiveness. I hit the pedal and it thinks about downshifting for a second before it actually springs into action, even in Sport mode. I use the paddles and they either wait for a second to downshift or it will upshift right as I hit the paddle to upshift and sends me two gears higher bringing any fun or perfomance to a screeching halt. Maybe I just need more experience with driving this particular model, we'll see.
ive gotten to the point where i dont even bother leaving it in E. its way to slow to react. going around a right angle corner and trying to accelerate back to normal speeds and it doesnt even downshift... it just stays at 1500rpms and feels like its so bogged down. putting it in S mode feels sooo much more natural. i feel like S mode is almost exactly how i drive my S2000. ive never driven a coupe without the sport plus package so i cant comment on how good or bad the shifters are in those cars but from the sound of it, im glad i got sports plus

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do our paddle shifters suck?