2012 CPO C350 coupe--first service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
2012 CPO C350 coupe--first service

Hello all---

I'm coming up on my first service ("B" 40k miles) after buying my car in August. I contacted the dealer bc I thought the service went like "a,b,c" then back to "a" which didn't make sense to me but she told me that it goes back and forth between a and b for a while. Well she sent me some preliminary numbers based on required as well as recommended. Wow! I was not expecting a $650 bill for my first
service. Is this normal? Seems like a ton of "inspecting" to me that can only result in a bigger price tag if something comes up. I don't expect anything based on it being a CPO car but im probably just naive.

I attached the estimate for the long time MB owners to talk me off the ledge.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
That is a fair price for the B1 service (it is the more involved service, the "A" services are just an oil change). I also felt that the "inspection" was not necessary, did the service myself and it cost about $100 in parts.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:30 PM

2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
Originally Posted by cfmistry
That is a fair price for the B1 service (it is the more involved service, the "A" services are just an oil change). I also felt that the "inspection" was not necessary, did the service myself and it cost about $100 in parts.
Thanks. I went with the dealer cause I'm not very mechanically inclined but they come back and told me I need two rear tires when I only bought the car in July. When I questioned what the CPO standard is she said they need to be at least 6/32, and mine were measured at 7/32 at time of purchase. Now they're at 4/32. I will be purchasing tires from somewhere else but this whole CPO thing has got me aggravated.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 PM

2014 C350 C204
If your tires measured 7/32, and CPO requirement is 6/32, they should have replaced all 4. I recently bought a 2014 CPO, two year lease return, they replaced the tires per my request since they measured low (don't recall the exact spec).

Service is not cheap on a Benz, and a little research would have shown some of the costs for the A/B service. 40K is a milestone, which is more expensive than say, 30K since it's a B. I feel the frustration though, since you bought the car within 6 months and have to do tires + service, but that's par for the course. CPO is really only getting you peace of mind for warranty work, though I think you should raise a stink for the tires so they can maybe get you a discount or coupon. The hourly rate is around $90 where you're taking it - compare to my area which is around $110, something to keep in mind as well. Independent Benz shops bay be around 60-80 depending on region.

The other thing worth mentioning is that since you have 4matic, you might want to consider 4 new tires, not just two rear. If you can get a good set, sometimes you can find a buy 3, get 1 free deal.

Last edited by stebesplace; 01-12-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:36 PM

2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
Originally Posted by stebesplace
If your tires measured 7/32, and CPO requirement is 6/32, they should have replaced all 4. I recently bought a 2014 CPO, two year lease return, they replaced the tires per my request since they measured low (don't recall the exact spec).

Service is not cheap on a Benz, and a little research would have shown some of the costs for the A/B service. 40K is a milestone, which is more expensive than say, 30K since it's a B. I feel the frustration though, since you bought the car within 6 months and have to do tires + service, but that's par for the course. CPO is really only getting you peace of mind for warranty work, though I think you should raise a stink for the tires so they can maybe get you a discount or coupon. The hourly rate is around $90 where you're taking it - compare to my area which is around $110, something to keep in mind as well. Independent Benz shops bay be around 60-80 depending on region.

The other thing worth mentioning is that since you have 4matic, you might want to consider 4 new tires, not just two rear. If you can get a good set, sometimes you can find a buy 3, get 1 free deal.
Thanks. I've always heard that about a 4matic was that all 4 needed replaced at the same time. And before I bought it she said the fronts were replaced but not the back. I just find it difficult to believe that being that close to the requirement and them not replacing all 4 is a little bs. I'm pushing the issue but i prob won't have any luck.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM

2014 C350 C204
I'd push them and see if they at least give a discount. I doubt they will give you two new tires, or 4, for that matter, but at the very least, you should push for a discount on maintenance or towards tires. I'd say depending on how much driving you've done, you should be okay getting matched rear's to the fronts, but if you've done a lot of miles, cornering, etc., you may want to suck it up and get 4 new tires all together, then you can sell the two fronts on CL to recoup a bit of the cost. See if the dealer will run a special on 4 new tires, or give you free installation and alignment.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 PM

2012 C350 Coupe 4matic
Originally Posted by stebesplace
I'd push them and see if they at least give a discount. I doubt they will give you two new tires, or 4, for that matter, but at the very least, you should push for a discount on maintenance or towards tires. I'd say depending on how much driving you've done, you should be okay getting matched rear's to the fronts, but if you've done a lot of miles, cornering, etc., you may want to suck it up and get 4 new tires all together, then you can sell the two fronts on CL to recoup a bit of the cost. See if the dealer will run a special on 4 new tires, or give you free installation and alignment.
Thanks. My buddy owns a shop and can get me all 4 conti DWS for $750. And the dealer quoted me $650 for just the two OE tires. the front tires are 8/32 and the rears are 4/32. Winter just hit finally today and I'm wondering if I can swing the rears til Spring. I realize the fronts are essentially a loss bc I can't imagine selling the two fronts but maybe I can. I've never been big on running two different tires let along two different tread patter but I think that's something I'll have to get used to due to the staggered set up now. Oh the joys of your first Fine Machine
Old 01-12-2016, 07:45 PM

2014 C350 C204
Cool. I wouldn't let this tarnish the brand honestly. This is more that specific dealer than the cars themselves. They are still amazing machines, and once you get past this hiccup, you should be smooth sailing for the time being.