Curb Accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes Benz C350 4Matic Coupe
Unhappy Curb Accident

Was driving in a parking lot and swerved to avoid being sideswiped. Front wheel went over the curb and came smashing down on side skirt and rear rim/tire. Car is less than a month old. Safe to say I was not the happiest after.

Thoughts on repairs?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLS550-4M, 2013 C350-4M Coupe
Sorry this happened. I feel your pain. I got a crack in my windshield on Friday from a rock-strike while driving on the highway.

The damage to your wheel looks repairable. I've seen skilled wheel repair shops do a great job fixing damage worse than it looks like you have. As long as the wheel isn't bent, you should be fine. I hit a curb once in an ice storm and although the damage to the wheel didn't look too severe, the wheel was bent in such a way that it wasn't repairable.

I would probably replace the tire. It may very well have internal damage that may cause it to develop a sidewall bubble or fail while on the road.

It's difficult to tell how badly your side-skirt is damaged but I'm sure a body shop can fix it without too much difficulty.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks Antique-Ace

Sorry to hear about your windshield. I appreciate the reply. Hopefully the rim can be repaired and the scratches on the side skirt can be buffed out. Would you recommend getting it fixed at the Mercedes dealership or try a local bodyshop?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLS550-4M, 2013 C350-4M Coupe
Originally Posted by Speedracer33
Sorry to hear about your windshield. I appreciate the reply. Hopefully the rim can be repaired and the scratches on the side skirt can be buffed out. Would you recommend getting it fixed at the Mercedes dealership or try a local bodyshop?

This should be just a cosmetic repair so I would probably just have a local body shop do the work, but you can always get an estimate for the side skirt repair from the MB dealership and good local body shop. I think you'll decide to have the work done by the local body shop.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 PM

2013 C250 Sport Couple
Sorry about your damage @speedracer33. I have 2 rims (same rims as yours) with varying degrees of curb rash / scrapes / damage, and my local dealer quoted me $167.00 plus tax per rim for cosmetic repair.

I second the tire replacement (my local dealer charges $245 + tax to mount & balance one brand new tire). If you opt to have the dealer do any work, check their site for coupons. I sometimes wait until a coupon becomes available before having any non-essential service done. You'll probably find a cheaper tire at a chain store, but probably not the same exact tire as the other 3.

Personally, for the skirt damage I'd go to a reputable body shop and not use MB. It's in a place where even if they only did a "pretty good" job it's not going to be noticeable.

I feel your pain - last month I was run off the road by a truck coming around a corner into my lane, and I hit a big chunk of concrete that was off to the side of the road. Got 2 flat tires and rim scrapes.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the reply @ATLbenz13. Im sorry to hear about your rims/tire. I actually just picked up the vehicle from MB deanship today. The dealer repaired the damaged rim for $255 CAD including tax. A pretty penny for such a minor repair but I felt awful seeing the scratched AMG logo every day.

Additionally they wanted my to purchase new tires but I contacted a few places and they said it would not be an issue. MB simply turned the tire so the "damage" is on the inside. I have attached some photos to show the rim repair. I am going to purchase some painting polish that will match the side skirt.

Best of luck with your MB; wishing you many issue free, and trucks taking turns wide, kilometres!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:35 PM

2013 C250 Sport Couple
That rim repair looks very good! I think I'll spend the $ and have my dealer do the same for me. It's purely cosmetic, but like you, I hate seeing it. Thanks for the update!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 PM

mercedes c250, 08 vette blown with meth (680 rwhp)
scraped my exact wheels and went with powder coating