Run flat indicator inoperative problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E220 AMG S Line

Hi, while driving i got the following error: Run flat indicator inoperative (please see attached). When i was driving, it felt that the engine is loosing power and then at one point i stopped. After 5 minutes, I switched on the engine again and the engine check was on. After driving for 10 minutes, the ESP light turned on. Do you have an idea what it is ? This problem happened a month ago as well. I took it to the benz electrician and a relay was changed. Now it happened again. Any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 w204 edition 507
Originally Posted by Rene Zammit
Hi, while driving i got the following error: Run flat indicator inoperative (please see attached). When i was driving, it felt that the engine is loosing power and then at one point i stopped. After 5 minutes, I switched on the engine again and the engine check was on. After driving for 10 minutes, the ESP light turned on. Do you have an idea what it is ? This problem happened a month ago as well. I took it to the benz electrician and a relay was changed. Now it happened again. Any help is appreciated. thanks
Did u figure out what the issue was? I have the same problem now.

Did u figure out what the issue was? I now have the same problem.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 AM

E220 AMG S Line
Originally Posted by Jeremy Peters
Yes i did not thanks to my stupid electrician but thanks to the towing person .... Open the bonnet, there you should have a box with fuses. You should find a GREEN fuse. Remove it, clean it and put it back in.. After going 3 times to the 'best' mercedes electrician in Malta and he did not manage to fix it, that did the trick.

Last edited by Rene Zammit; 07-25-2021 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dori w204 (11-25-2022)
Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
glk
I have the same problem. hope this is my issue as well. I will look and report back. thanks
Old 10-22-2020, 04:06 PM

Mercedes-Benz c180 AMG Sport plus W204
Originally Posted by glkoffroad
I have the same problem. hope this is my issue as well. I will look and report back. thanks
I have this issue also may car is the saloon AMG sport plus W204. I had a new throttle pedal fitted but the problem still persists, does it every 2-3 months. I would be interested if you solve the the issue. Thanks
Old 10-23-2020, 08:10 AM

glk
my scanner said rear speed sensor. I looked at live data and it shows proper speed but when I graph it I can see it blipping low. this is glk abs inoperative. your issue sounds different.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by glkoffroad
my scanner said rear speed sensor. I looked at live data and it shows proper speed but when I graph it I can see it blipping low. this is glk abs inoperative. your issue sounds different.
I took my car to a MB independent his software couldn’t find any issues, but the images above are identical to my display and same thing happens engine management light goes out and doesn’t log any faults.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:05 PM

glk
mine logs a fault and the issue can only really been seen on the graph.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:29 PM

glk
my reluctor (tone) ring was cracked. $25 at carquest. about 6 hours if your mechincally inclined. CV axle had to come out at the brake disc side to install new ring. FIXED!!!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:39 AM

2010 SLK R171
Originally Posted by Rene Zammit
Yes i did not thanks to my stupid electrician but thanks to the towing person .... Open the bonnet, there you should have a box with fuses. You should find a GREEN fuse. Remove it, clean it and put it back in.. After going 3 times to the 'best' mercedes electrician in Malta and he did not manage to fix it, that did the trick. Let me know. If questions you can reach me on whats app +356 79958733
Hi

will this work on my 2010 SLK R171 im having the same problem and just today it happened twice in a bad area I thought the car was gonna get stuck

my Merc mechanic wants me to bring the car in tomorrow even though he supposedly fixed it the last time it happened . please help its my first Merc i own i dont even know how to change the reverse light bulb at the back
Old 05-10-2021, 11:48 AM

C220 CDI W204 sport

I've been having the same problems as you are 99.9% sure this may well be the ABS/Tracktion control wheel sensor that's causing these issues. When I had my car checked on the STAR diagnostics system at my local Independent Merc Mechanic came back as front left ABS sensor and was replaced and sorted the problem. They changed both sides as for some odd reason when one fails the other side then seems to follow in a few days after? so was advised to have both done together which they did. Any messages like this are related to speed measurement hence why ABS, Traction control, Run-flat comes up as all of them are disabled. This would also turn off ECO when the car is moving as well as making cruise control unavailable and I'll bet money it's just a simple sensor issue as it's very common for them to fail. I also had the very same on a 2003 S Class model I use to own again was an ABS sensor. I'm in the UK and the cost here was Ł85 for the parts. But before doing anything for the cost of having it tested on the STAR Diagnostics system it will save you loads of money in the long run and take out the guesswork so I hope this all helps those having such issues.

Last edited by MrTash; 05-10-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:02 PM

2010 SLK R171
Originally Posted by MrTash
I've been having the same problems as you are 99.9% sure this may well be the ABS/Tracktion control wheel sensor that's causing these issues. When I had my car checked on the STAR diagnostics system at my local Independent Merc Mechanic came back as front left ABS sensor and was replaced and sorted the problem. They changed both sides as for some odd reason when one fails the other side then seems to follow in a few days after? so was advised to have both done together which they did. Any messages like this are related to speed measurement hence why ABS, Traction control, Run-flat comes up as all of them are disabled. This would also turn off ECO when the car is moving as well as making cruise control unavailable and I'll bet money it's just a simple sensor issue as it's very common for them to fail. I also had the very same on a 2003 S Class model I use to own again was an ABS sensor. I'm in the UK and the cost here was Ł85 for the parts. But before doing anything for the cost of having it tested on the STAR Diagnostics system it will save you loads of money in the long run and take out the guesswork so I hope this all helps those having such issues.
thank you it happend 4 times while driving im trying to upload but this site doesnt accept .mp4 . I have videos of what it does im scard to tell my Mech to try this 😂 because he will think im second guessing him . On his dignostic nothing comes up . And he worked for 30yrs for Merc 😂 . I need to upload the vids for you to see also and it will help others also i will try to convert it to a file type that thia site will accept im in South Africa btw😂
The following users liked this post:
MrTash (05-27-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 02:59 PM

C220 CDI W204 sport

Originally Posted by Ashique Hariram
thank you it happend 4 times while driving im trying to upload but this site doesnt accept .mp4 . I have videos of what it does im scard to tell my Mech to try this 😂 because he will think im second guessing him . On his dignostic nothing comes up . And he worked for 30yrs for Merc 😂 . I need to upload the vids for you to see also and it will help others also i will try to convert it to a file type that thia site will accept im in South Africa btw😂
Yes, any help on this topic is all helpful. However, I also tried to check for error codes and messages on my own Mercedes OBD2 device but came back with nothing at all. But when I visited my Mechanic he checked with his equipment and it came up as a left front ABS sensor that was faulty. You need to use the STAR Diagnostics system which Mercedes use also anything else may well not tell you anything so I'd ask your Mechanic which system he is using? They replaced both my sensors and all the problems have now cleared car is now running perfectly again. I can tell you now that 99% of these type of faults are always related to wheel speed sensors more than anything else as I said it's very common for them to fail so as they are not that expensive might be worth changing them one at a time to see if the problems clear I'd start with the front first that way at least you'd know if you have found the faulty sensor and if so then change the other side too as I said for odd reasons the other one also fails days later. So I hope this helps you and let us all know how you get on will be very interesting.

Last edited by MrTash; 05-12-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: These are the messages I got on my car
Old 05-12-2021, 04:13 PM

My car did it again in April when I was having it serviced the there was no faulty speed / wheel sensors picked up just a voltage drop on throttle position sensor which is part of the throttle pedal I think and that’s had been replaced already. So still None the wiser.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:19 AM

C220 CDI W204 sport
Originally Posted by TOOL666
My car did it again in April when I was having it serviced the there was no faulty speed / wheel sensors picked up just a voltage drop on throttle position sensor which is part of the throttle pedal I think and that’s had been replaced already. So still None the wiser.
Oh well, I can't comment on that one as this issue normally always relates to speed sensors but then the throttle position sensor could do something like this I guess as it seems it's anything that relates to speed that triggers things like this. I just find that Mercedes are so tricky when things go wrong and can take an age to sort out the real issues and cause of the problems. To be honest, when I first had my problem I thought a SAM board had gone down as a while back I had my Air Con display pack up and thought the same but that turned out to be the Air Con unit itself and in turn caused the radiator cooling fan to run at high speed which is all linked. I just find these cars very depressing as to other makes they are great when they are running right but a complete pain when they go wrong which is quite often I'd add at least in my experience of owning them and I've had four models so far and I consider them the worst car on the roads against other makes I've owned. I've spent more money on my current car that I've had for only just over two years than all the other cars I've own over the last 30 years all put together. What lets Mercedes down from an electronics point is the use of BOSCH Electronics they are the worst very unreliable indeed just like everything else they make I'm sorry to say.

Last edited by MrTash; 05-13-2021 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:29 AM

Mercedes Benz C204 1.8L C250
Originally Posted by Jeremy Peters
Wheel speed sensor
Old 05-16-2021, 05:27 AM

C220 CDI W204 sport
Originally Posted by plxton
Wheel speed sensor
Yes, my issue was the left front ABS/Traction control speed sensor. But they changed both sides rather than just the faulty one as my Mechanic said for odd reasons the other side normally fails also a few days later so I just had him do both to be on the safe side. The car is now working fine and all back to normal.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:38 AM

Mercedes Benz C204 1.8L C250
Originally Posted by MrTash
Yes, my issue was the left front ABS/Traction control speed sensor. But they changed both sides rather than just the faulty one as my Mechanic said for odd reasons the other side normally fails also a few days later so I just had him do both to be on the safe side. The car is now working fine and all back to normal.
it happens quite frequently, if you hit a pothole too hard etc. you’ll lose the speed sensor.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:57 PM

C220 CDI W204 sport
Originally Posted by plxton
it happens quite frequently, if you hit a pothole too hard etc. you’ll lose the speed sensor.
That's interesting because a few days before it failed I did hit a pothole of some sorts so that may well be why it failed then. Just something to be aware of in the future.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 AM

C220 CDI W204 sport
Originally Posted by TOOL666
I took my car to a MB independent his software couldn’t find any issues, but the images above are identical to my display and same thing happens engine management light goes out and doesn’t log any faults.
Hi again, just thinking about this is your steering wheel in a level position when driving? The reason I mention this is because on my wife's CLK280 a number of years ago she was getting this coming and going also and it turned out in her case to be the sensor on the steering as the car thinks is going around a corner when it's going straight and gives a confusing signal to the ECU and turns off the traction and ABS control. In her case, the steering wheel was off to the left and my MB Mechanic at that time said it has to be level at the zero position when the tracking is done. So I had the car done as he said and she had no further issues after that so I'm just mentioning this just to see if you may have the same issue?. I know you mentioned you had the engine warning coming and going and you've already stated that was the throttle position sensor so sounds like you had two different issues one you sorted but still have the other with ABS/EPS so that's why I'm just mentioning the steering as a possible sensor issue not that there is anything wrong with it just it might be giving incorrect information to the ECU thus causing it to turn off the ABS/ESP for the reason already stated?. The other thing I'd say is the engine light has to be on to find the fault anyway so if it's gone out then your Mechanics tester wouldn't find a fault unless it's lit at the time of testing so that's why he's not getting anything because the fault has cleared itself and may not have even logged the fault if a fault at all. You can also get that come up when the catalytic converter sensor is playing up comes on and then clears and nothing recorded.

Last edited by MrTash; 05-17-2021 at 09:55 AM.