Needing help C300 2016, 2017, 2018?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2019 | 02:35 PM

C300
Needing help C300 2016, 2017, 2018?

I don’t own a Mercedes but I’m fixing to buy one in the next 2 weeks. Really needing your help and information/knowledge. I am willing to spend up to 28K on one. I’ve been looking at C300 only that model that’s the one I want so please don’t try and convince me out of that one LOL . I am also wanting it in either 2016, 2017, or 2018 year model. What is the difference in these years? The research I have found was really the new 9 speed transmission in the 2018 so I was leaning towards that year however this is where you all come in. I can get a 2016 for 10 grand cheaper than the 2018. So I guess my question is what’s the difference in these 3 years, any major changes? What all packages come on what? What are the packages?

Old 06-27-2019 | 11:34 PM

2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
In the US, the 2017 model was introduced in 2016 -- there wasn't an actual 2016 coupe that I ever saw.
I haven't seen a difference in interior at all, and only the 2019 showed any exterior changes I could see.
The 2017 only came with 3 packages: Premium 1, 2, and 3. A breakdown (if a little erroneous) is here:
https://www.arrowheadmb.com/blog/201...emium-package/
Looking at the option breakouts that occurred starting in 2018, I'm grateful for the lack of selection.
I think they raised the base-level options when they did that.

My Premium 2 package has blind spot assist, and Premium 3 added the lane-keeping, laser-cruising, pedestrian-and-sign-seeing extras I didn't care about.
(That, and I wanted the illuminated star. I installed it myself.) Collision prevention assist is standard.
Only other thing I didn't get was the head-up display.

I haven't driven a 9G-TRONIC, but specs for the 2018 don't show any change in 0-60,
so other than just becoming the standard transmission (and helping them improve MPG targets), only the shifts would be a slight bit smoother.
In mine (7G-T), if you mash on it from a slow start, it lurches at 65mph as it upshifts, so that might be evened out some.
IMO, despite the lack of comparison, I don't think it's worth the difference. A little discussion here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...9g-tronic.html

2019 sees a rise in HP to 255 from 241, but the same torque (273), which is all I care about.
You can raise both by 60 with a tuning kit, most likely at the expense of a long engine life.
Totally biased, but I still love my 2017 and wouldn't trade it in, even for the $28K my dealership wants to give me to upgrade to a 2019.
Thanks, but we're waiting on my wife's 2020 GLE 450 to emerge from the sea of them in one of many open lots in Alabama. :

Find one with the options you want and you can't go wrong.
If you find a 2017 configured and colored as you want, you won't regret it.
Happy hunting, welcome to MB World, and keep us updated on what you get!
The following users liked this post:
Manyu (01-21-2020)
Old 06-28-2019 | 02:24 PM

C400
Old 07-06-2019 | 10:40 AM

2015 E400 Coupe
Didn't the early ones have engine issues?
Old 07-12-2019 | 10:55 AM

2019 C class coupe
Originally Posted by Harmsway_15

I don’t own a Mercedes but I’m fixing to buy one in the next 2 weeks. Really needing your help and information/knowledge. I am willing to spend up to 28K on one. I’ve been looking at C300 only that model that’s the one I want so please don’t try and convince me out of that one LOL . I am also wanting it in either 2016, 2017, or 2018 year model. What is the difference in these years? The research I have found was really the new 9 speed transmission in the 2018 so I was leaning towards that year however this is where you all come in. I can get a 2016 for 10 grand cheaper than the 2018. So I guess my question is what’s the difference in these 3 years, any major changes? What all packages come on what? What are the packages?
I'd get the newest model year possible. Just like reviewer above said, find one with the specs you want in your budget and buy it. I have a 2019 and love it. I was looking at the 2018 but decided to wait for the refreshed 2019. Mine has the 9 speed transmission. I do remember reading of some 7 speed transmissions having shifting issues but don't remember the model year. You'll have to read and do some research on that. But like someone said, prior to the SLIGHT refresh to exterior on 2019s, from 2016-2018 the exterior of the cars have mostly looked the same. I can only tell the differences because I've researched Mercedes over the past few years before I purchased. Just look at what interior options/packages you must have. AMG sport package, premium package with Burmester sound system, sunroof, Android auto were some of my must haves.
Best of luck to you! The coupe is so fun to drive!!
Old 08-27-2019 | 06:57 AM

C180 Coupe (C205)=> C 300 Coupe (C205)=> E350E AMG (W213) => ??
Originally Posted by antigeek
In the US, the 2017 model was introduced in 2016 -- there wasn't an actual 2016 coupe that I ever saw.
I haven't seen a difference in interior at all, and only the 2019 showed any exterior changes I could see.
The 2017 only came with 3 packages: Premium 1, 2, and 3. A breakdown (if a little erroneous) is here:
https://www.arrowheadmb.com/blog/201...emium-package/
Looking at the option breakouts that occurred starting in 2018, I'm grateful for the lack of selection.
I think they raised the base-level options when they did that.

My Premium 2 package has blind spot assist, and Premium 3 added the lane-keeping, laser-cruising, pedestrian-and-sign-seeing extras I didn't care about.
(That, and I wanted the illuminated star. I installed it myself.) Collision prevention assist is standard.
Only other thing I didn't get was the head-up display.

I haven't driven a 9G-TRONIC, but specs for the 2018 don't show any change in 0-60,
so other than just becoming the standard transmission (and helping them improve MPG targets), only the shifts would be a slight bit smoother.
In mine (7G-T), if you mash on it from a slow start, it lurches at 65mph as it upshifts, so that might be evened out some.
IMO, despite the lack of comparison, I don't think it's worth the difference. A little discussion here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...9g-tronic.html

2019 sees a rise in HP to 255 from 241, but the same torque (273), which is all I care about.
You can raise both by 60 with a tuning kit, most likely at the expense of a long engine life.
Totally biased, but I still love my 2017 and wouldn't trade it in, even for the $28K my dealership wants to give me to upgrade to a 2019.
Thanks, but we're waiting on my wife's 2020 GLE 450 to emerge from the sea of them in one of many open lots in Alabama. :

Find one with the options you want and you can't go wrong.
If you find a 2017 configured and colored as you want, you won't regret it.
Happy hunting, welcome to MB World, and keep us updated on what you get!
Very detailed writeup! Thanks. I don't live in the USA but I bought a 2nd hand C300 Coupe that was initially sold in the USA so it's USA spec. I checked everything in the car and it's been drivining perfect except for lurching at almost 100km when at full acceleration. I kept secretly thinking that there must have been something wrong with the transmission! I'm so relieved to hear that other cars also lurch forward at full acceleration.

I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking:

1- Claimed 0-100 of 6 seconds. The best I got was 6.3 and that was on a slight downhill. Should I be worried?

2- When at a complete stop, slamming the has pedal gas a noticeable delay until the car gets moving, and when it gets moving there is another delay for it to really throw you back and you feel the power. I have 4matic version, if that matters. This is NOT noticable when you are already moving, especially on sport+ as the more you give the pedal the more power you feel. There is also no delay when you don't fully press like. Like there is no delay at intersections, traffic lights etc.. It just seems that giving full pedal to the metal gives the car a bit of internal calculation to do.

3- PSI. B pillar says 45,39. Gas cover says 39 both?

4- AMG menu temp gauge. I get high 110s when I'm really pushing the car, but it goes down quickly. Is this normal?

5- The original owner has a a weird sense of selection, and has picked the car with Burmster, heated seats etc... but not parking sensors. Can I install genuine sensors with the visual thing on the windshield?

6- Speaking of Burmster. It really soudns good but hte bass is not strong.I have it on +10 and it is underwhelming. Is this normal?

7- Is this car also subject to wrist pin issue?
Old 08-27-2019 | 09:04 AM

Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Originally Posted by MBOCD
Very detailed writeup! Thanks. I don't live in the USA but I bought a 2nd hand C300 Coupe that was initially sold in the USA so it's USA spec. I checked everything in the car and it's been drivining perfect except for lurching at almost 100km when at full acceleration. I kept secretly thinking that there must have been something wrong with the transmission! I'm so relieved to hear that other cars also lurch forward at full acceleration.

I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking:

1- Claimed 0-100 of 6 seconds. The best I got was 6.3 and that was on a slight downhill. Should I be worried?

2- When at a complete stop, slamming the has pedal gas a noticeable delay until the car gets moving, and when it gets moving there is another delay for it to really throw you back and you feel the power. I have 4matic version, if that matters. This is NOT noticable when you are already moving, especially on sport+ as the more you give the pedal the more power you feel. There is also no delay when you don't fully press like. Like there is no delay at intersections, traffic lights etc.. It just seems that giving full pedal to the metal gives the car a bit of internal calculation to do.

4- AMG menu temp gauge. I get high 110s when I'm really pushing the car, but it goes down quickly. Is this normal?

5- The original owner has a a weird sense of selection, and has picked the car with Burmster, heated seats etc... but not parking sensors. Can I install genuine sensors with the visual thing on the windshield?

6- Speaking of Burmster. It really soudns good but hte bass is not strong.I have it on +10 and it is underwhelming. Is this normal?

1 - there's a ton of factors in zero to sixty figures that could cause a tenth of a second or few tenths of a second variance. I wouldn't focus on zero to sixty for this car - nobody is really going to be impressed. If I wanted sexy 0-to-60 figures I would have sprung for the C43 or C63.
2 - this is called turbo lag, and essentially all Mercedes turbocharged four cylinders experience this. It's the trade off you have for additional efficiency. As you stated it doesn't happen in Sport+ as pronounced because it'll rev you into the sky before it shifts - not necessary for daily driving and generally inefficient. Sport plus is fun to drive in this car though! I have a '19 with the 9 speed and haven't experienced the delay at 65mph that was previously mentioned.
3 - I'd just go with the one on the gas cap - never even noticed there was one on the B.
4 - haven't seen this yet
5 - I custom ordered my car without parking sensors - I find them annoying and don't need them - to each their own. My car is basically fully loaded with the exception of that feature and the stitched dash, in fact.
6 - Burmester bass sounds great in my car, with all sorts of music. Are you sure you have the Burmester sound option or are you just used to having an aftermarket sub installed? The base audio package in the C300 does absolutely suck but the Burmester is a nice upgrade.
7 - Sorry can't help with this one but it seems after a quick Google most cars that had this issue were 2015s
Old 08-27-2019 | 09:16 AM

Thanks.

Yes I do have Burmster I got the two grey speakers on the door panel and another two grey speakers on each back door. All have Burmester logo on them and I got the Burmester sound options tginy in the menu. Bass is ok but I'm not VERY impressed. I did have a w205 without Burmester before and the sound was total garbage.
Old 08-27-2019 | 09:23 PM

2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
There may be some repeats/restatements of MoneyVSOPs good responses.

1. 0-x times are based on ideal circumstances, which can include altitude, temperature, etc. YAMV (your acceleration may vary).
2. Yup - turbo lag. You can hold the brake and run the RPMs up to defeat it (if you're into that sort of thing).
It's a reason why auto review magazines have a 5-60 number, as it eliminates that possibility.
3. The figures on the door jamb say "Max Load," so definitely use the ones on the gas filler door. Took me a while to learn that one, too.
4. I haven't seen a change in temperature once the engine has warmed up, nor has it gone over mid-point (even in Texas heat).
If it's going over the mid-point often, have the dealer check it; it might be a malfunctioning sensor or thermostat.
5. If there aren't indentations on the bumpers, I don't think they can be installed after-the-fact. Not sure how complex even if it is possible.
I do like the blind spot detection system, but don't have the parking assist function (Distronic).
6. I'm not keen on the sound system. I've been able to get the bass to pop pretty easily -- not very robust.
Look for posts about adding bass systems (with EQ). Most are in the sedan section, so I'm not sure about fitment.
7. I had not heard of this issue, and I don't know (or think) that the '17 C300 has it.
There are some who don't like the C300 because the engine sounds like a diesel at startup.
Mine definitely does, but I'm not looking to announce my departure to the neighbors.
Old 08-28-2019 | 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by antigeek
There may be some repeats/restatements of MoneyVSOPs good responses.

1. 0-x times are based on ideal circumstances, which can include altitude, temperature, etc. YAMV (your acceleration may vary).
2. Yup - turbo lag. You can hold the brake and run the RPMs up to defeat it (if you're into that sort of thing).
It's a reason why auto review magazines have a 5-60 number, as it eliminates that possibility.
3. The figures on the door jamb say "Max Load," so definitely use the ones on the gas filler door. Took me a while to learn that one, too.
4. I haven't seen a change in temperature once the engine has warmed up, nor has it gone over mid-point (even in Texas heat).
If it's going over the mid-point often, have the dealer check it; it might be a malfunctioning sensor or thermostat.
5. If there aren't indentations on the bumpers, I don't think they can be installed after-the-fact. Not sure how complex even if it is possible.
I do like the blind spot detection system, but don't have the parking assist function (Distronic).
6. I'm not keen on the sound system. I've been able to get the bass to pop pretty easily -- not very robust.
Look for posts about adding bass systems (with EQ). Most are in the sedan section, so I'm not sure about fitment.
7. I had not heard of this issue, and I don't know (or think) that the '17 C300 has it.
There are some who don't like the C300 because the engine sounds like a diesel at startup.
Mine definitely does, but I'm not looking to announce my departure to the neighbors.
Thanks. So I checked the engine number and my engine is not affecte by wrist pin. Also regarding temperatures, I was not speaking about engine temperature, that in the cluster screen is stable at 90 all the time. I'm speaking about this screen:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...-model-dsc.jpg

The one on the left. It shows other temp than the engine not sure what, coolant maybe? It goes up and down. Seems normal I also asked around.
Old 09-01-2019 | 09:14 AM

2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
Thanks. So I checked the engine number and my engine is not affecte by wrist pin. Also regarding temperatures, I was not speaking about engine temperature, that in the cluster screen is stable at 90 all the time. I'm speaking about this screen:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...-model-dsc.jpg

The one on the left. It shows other temp than the engine not sure what, coolant maybe? It goes up and down. Seems normal I also asked around.
The symbol on the left is for engine oil temperature, the right is transmission oil temperature.
I don't think I have those gauges on my car -- I'll have to check.
I would think both would change, especially from a cold start, so check them then. If they don't have it checked out.
Old 01-21-2020 | 09:00 AM

2017 C300 4Matic Coupe
Thanks.

Yes I do have Burmster I got the two grey speakers on the door panel and another two grey speakers on each back door. All have Burmester logo on them and I got the Burmester sound options tginy in the menu. Bass is ok but I'm not VERY impressed. I did have a w205 without Burmester before and the sound was total garbage.
From my experience, the bass on cars nowadays aren’t as deep as the good old days. Almost like comparing to home stereos when bass naturally kicked real nice and deep made with good old wooden speaker boxes, but now everything sounds artificial as we now live in an artificial world of everything.