C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

OEM - After purchase upgrade for Headlamp Washers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 C220
OEM - After purchase upgrade for Headlamp Washers

I've posed this question before, lot's of views, no answers...

Does anybody know if it's possible to install headlamp washers(OEM prefered) after the fact? Anybody got details?? I moved from Florida to Colorado and in the Winter I suuuure could use them.

Matt
Denver, CO
'96 C220
Old 08-09-2002, 12:37 AM

2002 C320
I'm pretty sure it can be done..not sure what has to be replaced, but if you ask MBenz, he'll be able to tell you...he's one of the moderators at benzsport (he used to come by this board). He pretty much knows everything about the W202.. Check out his site if you're interested in seeing what he's done to his C250D

http://members.lycos.nl/mbenz/web_site_contents.htm

He can probably find you a set, but i'm guessing you can get a set from a junkyard around here...
Old 08-09-2002, 12:41 AM

'96 C220
I'll drop him an email via his email address on his page. It's alsmost absurb the mod's he's made to that car. I mean, a hand built wiring harness? Wowser..

Thanks for the tip on the washers..
Old 08-09-2002, 03:40 AM

1997 C230
I prefer to use the jet spray (E320) headllight washer over the regular wiper blade.

I have take a look at my friend's E320, and it looks like it has fewer parts and it share with the water tank of windshield washer with addition of a motor with couple plastic tube connecting to jet spray assembly.

But the problem is: where to look for a location big enough to install the jet spray assembly? the area under the headlight and above the bumper is too small for that.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:32 AM

'96 C220
I'm not opposed to using a true wiper assembly. I don't know how I feel about the jet spray system for use in Colorado's winters.

Right now, I just want to know if it's even possible. It seems that all I need is the system as the Washer fluid resevoir is the exact same, minus the headlamp washer hardware. Still would have to run wiring to the fuse box, etc, I imagine. I'll have to check that out too.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:52 PM

1997 DesignoC36
It is possible and has been done before. MBenz did it to his C class. Ask him and he'll send you pics and a list of parts needed for the retrofit.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:55 PM

'96 C220
Uncle Benz,

Good to hear! I sent him an email last night, hopefully he'll be able to outline it all for me. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-09-2002, 04:49 PM

1997 C230
Matt H

if you got the reply from him and the parts needed to install the washer system, can u post it to have anyone who interested to see it. it might be a great help for us.

thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 04:53 PM

'96 C220
Certainly. No problem at all. I'll keep everybody posted.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:02 PM

1997 DesignoC36
Chek out this post on Benzsport..

http://www.benzsport.com/forums/show...dlight+washers
Old 08-09-2002, 11:34 PM

'96 C220
Uncle,

Yeah, this is the same guy I waiting to hear back from on how he did it. It doesn't seem to be too damn tricky really.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:30 PM

'96 C220
Many thanks to MBenz for providing the following list of parts and supplies for upgrading your car with a headlamp washer system
-------snip---------some text editing made to this for appearance-

Mercedes (europe) even sold the headlight washer package as a complete add-it-to-your-car package through the dealers.

You need:
i. Two wiper motors (that are attached to the bottom of theheadlights)

ii. Wiper arms and blades,

iii. Two different lower headlight panels or you can just drill a hole in the curent panels you have (the wipers only need 1 round hole)

iv. Complete wire harness (that connects to the light system,
windshield washer, additional waterpump, relay and headlight wipers)

v. An additional waterpump that sits in the additional already present spot of the watertank,

vi. Some hoses(no size specified from him)

vii. A relay (that sits in the top of the fusebox)

NOTE:
The wire harness and wipermotors are the most expensive parts in this list...
Old 08-12-2002, 04:05 AM

1997 C230
if we decide to purchase completed package for W202 as owner self add on kit in Europe. How much do we have to pay?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 07:59 AM

1997 DesignoC36
I'm not sure if MB Europe still sells this add on kit. But, if they do, I want one!

Check with Steve (MBenz) and see if they do. If so, he can order a few and ship them to us in the states...

-Corey
Old 08-12-2002, 10:10 AM

'96 C220
They way he posed the information to me made it sound as if it was not something MB Europe still did.

I will probably call my local MB USA Dealer and see if they can atleast give me a hand. My local dealer makes it a practice not to give out the part numbers, which is really what I want a list of for this project.

Matt
Old 08-12-2002, 10:24 AM

1997 C230
my local dealer told me ther is no such kit available. and he mentioned it is impossible that a after purchase w202 can be installed a new set of window washer system.

by the way, i have checked amazon.co.uk and can't located the haynes repair manual for W202. please help!

thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 10:35 AM

'96 C220
Oh, yes, we know it's possible for sure, but as a kit, it does look like a NoGo.

I believe the Haynes Manual is #3511(?) W202 93-00.

The link to it at Amazon UK is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...908701-9840649
Old 08-12-2002, 10:54 AM

1997 C230
by looking at the degree of tilted surface of the head lights surface, it is impossible to accumulate enough snow to use the washer systems. if it does block the surface of head lights by heavy snow, i don't think the road condition is drivable at all.

as i notice that 90% of MB sold in southern california do not have the washer system (cold weather package) installed by the factory unless it is standard equipment (like volvo).

a washer system may look cool but it is not practical after all, its just like the blinking side mirror for w202 (using w210 parts), does it really help? just the thought.

if installed the wipers with motors for the headlights only without the water tank, will this make the job easier and achieve the same result? i have seen some japanese cars on the road that has two wipers installed onto their head lights. the look is 100%, but how about the functionalbility? i don't know how they installed wiperx onto headlights, maybe they just went to auto parts shop to purchase 2 small wipers and affix (drilling holes and screwed to the lower side of the head lights. it will fool lots of people this way.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:49 PM

'96 C220
It's not so much the actual snow it's self, though it does cake on there very well in the mountains, icey contains, etc. It's more the dirt and road chemicals that absolutely tint out your headlights from spray back from the car(s) in front of you. Last year I did a lot of stoping at gas stations and cleaning them off, this year I am looking to avoid the hassle all together.

I tried products like Rain-X, etc and it didn't really help too much. So I do think washers are going to be an affective method and much less of a hassle.

I'm not at all concerned with form as I am function. So if I can get the extra pump and pump good fluid with a de-icer, I should be golden. I know that when the headlight gets caked in the winter and dries, you got to have some sort of cleaner(fluid) or it's not coming off.

BUT, I DO agree with you on the side mirror mounted with a turn signal. I don't see a function for them at all that does anything better. I want them to do something old school, like put the up on the hood like the Caddy, that actual serves a purpose to let you know that your turn signal is on.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:25 PM

1997 C230
i agree with you totally with the deposit (chemical, road dirts) forming on the surface of the head lights. The wipers do really help in that siuation.

how about the wahser system alone without the wipers? if you install a very powerful jet spray system, which i peronally think will outperform the wipers.

to install a jet spray washer is easier than the wiper. most of the auto parts store has after market kits for the winshield washer. all you have to do is to attahced the tank with a powerful motor, and run the hose to the head lights, install the relay, switch and attahced to the battery and fuse box. and you are set.

i used to own a porsche 944 turbo with headlight jet spray washer, and it does a good job in removing the road dirt deposit on the surface of light.

just a suggestion for you to consider.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:29 PM

1997 C230
by the way, the side marker on the hood for caddy? i don't recall i've seen one before.

there is another non-sense side marker location for the current production vehicle. under the side mirror with amber light on late model GM full size SUV.

the side marker on front fender is making more sense than those on mirror.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:40 PM

'96 C220
It's a worthy suggestion for sure. I be sure to do a cost comparison before going one way or the other. MB uses the jets now so they can't be all bad.

Does anybody know of jet-spray kits or anybody that has used them on a Mercedes Benz?
Old 08-13-2002, 09:14 AM

2002 C320
The reason they have the blinkers on the mirrors is pretty much the same reason they have side markers...just an added blinker so people can see if you're turning. That's it. Nothing more. It's not to remind you that your blinkers are on. If you need something to do that, just look on your dash for the blinking green arrow.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:49 AM

1997 C230
i totally disagree with SLK regards to the blinking mirror. The side marker on the fender and on the mirror are totally different purpose. The one on the mirror can't been seen by the driver next to you, but the side marker on the fender can be seen by the driver in front of behind you.

when you try to change lane, this is very important that other dirvers next to you can see you are coming. i have driven behind an E with blinker on the mirror, I was in the his left rear position, but i can't see his mirror flashing when he try to cut me off. with same position a late model Bimmer replacing E, i am able to see the blinking on the fender and know he is changing lane.

Lexus and Infiniti were both planning to have this side blinking mirror on their 2002 LS, and Q series installed. at the last minute, they dropped the idea and go for the sidemarker on the fender.

let's put it this way, if the cars come standard with blinking mirror, i will take it. but if it is an extra cost option or after market mods, i think i will save the money for other things.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:40 AM

2002 C320
Ok, i'm not sure which version of the Q45 and LS430 you're looking at, but I don't see any sidemarkers. The Q45 has blinking mirrors. They designed them so drivers on the side and rear can see them (but they won't blind the driver).

Look, I'm not saying one is safer or the other. I personally can see the mirror blinking if I'm behind the car (the plastic lens curves around the mirror so you can see if from behind). I got a set because 1. it's autodimming (which my current car does not have...i also changing the rear view mirror to be auto-dimming), and 2. It's something subtle that only a few people would notice. Personally, if i want to change lanes, I will make sure that there's enough room so people can see my tailights, not just the sidemarker/blinking mirror. Is it worth the $, for me, yes...for others, that's up to you. I could care less either way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM - After purchase upgrade for Headlamp Washers