C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

c230 '99 : Fuel Meter Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 '99
c230 '99 : Fuel Meter Problem

Hi everybody,

I'm from Indonesia and just joined today (Is there anybody from Indonesia?).

I am beginner with this benz world as I just bought my first benz, '99 C230, a couple weeks ago. I found the fuel meter showing an unstable reading. Everytime I refuel the car, the meter won't go to higher level, even it turns on the empty fuel warning light. If I continue driving, after some time, it goes normally. Do you guys ever experience the same problem and know what's going on?

Thanks for your attention,
Old 03-30-2006, 04:11 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by Rusdi Harahap
Hi everybody,

I am beginner with this benz world as I just bought my first benz, '99 C230, a couple weeks ago. I found the fuel meter showing an unstable reading. Everytime I refuel the car, the meter won't go to higher level, even it turns on the empty fuel warning light. If I continue driving, after some time, it goes normally. Do you guys ever experience the same problem and know what's going on?

Apa kabar?

I am from Indonesia too.... congratulations on your purchase. It happened to my 97' 323i which I had years and years ago. They said it was the fuel sensor or something like that. It never happen to my MB though.

Make sure you drive the Benz everyday, because Benz in Indonesia are very prone to problems if you don't drive it daily (dunno if its the weather or whatever).
Old 03-30-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
It's probably the Fuel Sending Unit, it busted on mine too.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:51 PM

Congrats on your C230.

I had those problems before when I overfill my car. Next time you fill up, try to take the nozzle off after the first click. I am not sure if pumps in Indo are the same here in the US.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:19 PM

C230 '99
Originally Posted by c280rookie
Congrats on your C230.

I had those problems before when I overfill my car. Next time you fill up, try to take the nozzle off after the first click. I am not sure if pumps in Indo are the same here in the US.

Good luck.
C280rookie, could you please describe more about "taking the nozzle off after the first click". What nozzle? Nozzle at fuel injection?

Thanks for your response,
Old 03-31-2006, 10:27 PM

C230 '99
Originally Posted by ddtham
Apa kabar?

I am from Indonesia too.... congratulations on your purchase. It happened to my 97' 323i which I had years and years ago. They said it was the fuel sensor or something like that. It never happen to my MB though.

Make sure you drive the Benz everyday, because Benz in Indonesia are very prone to problems if you don't drive it daily (dunno if its the weather or whatever).
Kabar Baik ddtham...

Where do you live? I am in Jakarta ..Do we have any w202 club in Indonesia?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 AM

C32, 911 SC
Kabar Baik ddtham...

Where do you live? I am in Jakarta ..Do we have any w202 club in Indonesia?

Hi,

I'm from Surabaya, but I currently live in Salt Lake City. I don't know about any W202 club in Indo, but I know there is W124 (boxer) club in Bandung.

I hope you like your C230, is it a kompressor?? Post pics if its possible.... would love to see your w202.

Last edited by ddtham; 04-01-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:46 AM

C230 '99
Originally Posted by ddtham
Hi,

I'm from Surabaya, but I currently live in Salt Lake City. I don't know about any W202 club in Indo, but I know there is W124 (boxer) club in Bandung.

I hope you like your C230, is it a kompressor?? Post pics if its possible.... would love to see your w202.
Hi,

No, it's not the kompressor one. Actually I looked for the kompressor model, but it's very very rare in Jakarta. I had hunted for almost 2 months without any good result before I decided to take the non kompressor one.

The one that I got now is only 25.000 KM mileage and still has all the original parts and function working perfectly except for the fuel meter.

I plan to do some minor modification, 19" rim, sport shock and lowering spring are the first steps. Maybe after these steps, I will post some pics .

How about you? Have you posted yours.

Cheers,
Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 AM

C32, 911 SC
Hi,

No, it's not the kompressor one. Actually I looked for the kompressor model, but it's very very rare in Jakarta. I had hunted for almost 2 months without any good result before I decided to take the non kompressor one.

The one that I got now is only 25.000 KM mileage and still has all the original parts and function working perfectly except for the fuel meter.

I plan to do some minor modification, 19" rim, sport shock and lowering spring are the first steps. Maybe after these steps, I will post some pics .

How about you? Have you posted yours.

Cheers,

Your planned mods sound nice... make sure to post pics after all of that.
Mine is just a stock C280 with sport package. I will post pics when the day is sunny (the weather has been weird lately.... cold... warm.... cold ).
Old 04-02-2006, 10:23 PM

C280rookie, could you please describe more about "taking the nozzle off after the first click". What nozzle? Nozzle at fuel injection?

Thanks for your response,
Rusdi,

I meant the nozzle at the gas pump. Next time you fill up, when the nozzle clicks, stop putting any more gas. In my case,I used to put more gas after the first click, and i ended up overfilling the car.
As a result, my fuel gauge fluctuates and would drop to E after a few miles of driving.
Now, i haven't experienced any more incidents like these.
Let me know if this helps.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM

C230 '99
Rusdi,

I meant the nozzle at the gas pump. Next time you fill up, when the nozzle clicks, stop putting any more gas. In my case,I used to put more gas after the first click, and i ended up overfilling the car.
As a result, my fuel gauge fluctuates and would drop to E after a few miles of driving.
C280rookie,
I got your point. I will try your advice next time I fill up. I will let you know the result. thanks bro.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:47 PM

C230 '99
Rusdi,

c280rookie,

It worked. I filled up and followed your direction to stop putting more gas after the nozzle had clicked. The fuel meter worked perfectly. Thanks bro. Your advice really helps.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Rusdi,

Glad it worked out for you.

Enjoy your 202! I know I am.

I saw your posting about suspension combo. Have you made up your mind yet?

Post some pics of your ride.

Keep us posted.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Elegance
Hi everybody,

I have assumed that it is ventilation of a fuel tank does not work.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but there are some pumps I have filled up at where they just don't want to stay on. They click like they're finished when they aren't even close and I have to adjust the nozzle's position in the tank a couple times to get it to fill properly. This hasn't caused gas gauge problems with me, just annoying.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by davis449
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but there are some pumps I have filled up at where they just don't want to stay on. They click like they're finished when they aren't even close and I have to adjust the nozzle's position in the tank a couple times to get it to fill properly. This hasn't caused gas gauge problems with me, just annoying.
Same here! Happened to me a few times. The nozzle just won't stay on, and it took me quite some time to fill up.
Have been back to that same gas station, and everything worked flawlessly.
Just one of those things which can happen if you're not having a good day.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Same here! Happened to me a few times. The nozzle just won't stay on, and it took me quite some time to fill up.
Have been back to that same gas station, and everything worked flawlessly.
Just one of those things which can happen if you're not having a good day.
The Exxon that I usually fill up at works sometimes and not others, wierd.