C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Subs and Amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C200
Subs and Amp

Hey

back at home from my blazer I have a

Hifonics BXI2006D
2xTS-W3002spl

well I dont have a box yet but,

How does the subs and amp handle back there? It doesn't look like theres any air to breath so I thought about cutting out the First aid kit

how do subs sound with that floor mat thing in there? does it vibrate and sound like crap?

If anything I might just get a box for one sub so I don't over power anything.

Thanks please reply

Mike
Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 C230 Kompressor Sport
does your C-series have a ski bag or do the seats fold down? In my C, I have no ski bag or seats don't fold down so all my bass gets trapped in the truck, still sounds good, and the only rattle I had to "fix" was the "first aid" pack on the backsplash, I just put some foam (like the one's used in sofa pillows) on the top and bottom of the compartment to stop it from jumping around....C-series benz's are usually insolated really well, to the point where if you close up the car and pump the system you barely hear anything outside while inside your ears blead...lol

having the battery in the trunk helps plenty, as it's required to have a the shortest ground possible ( 1 -2 feet) so it's easy to ground near the battery itself...A 1 fared capacitor will help also...if your battery is old I would suggest changing it, to either the gell type or what i went with the Interstate Mega-Tron 850 CCA (product #MTP-93)

hope that helps you...

Last edited by bcmiguel; 08-09-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:57 PM

1997 C200
hey,

Nope, my seats don't fold down at all...

I was told to cut a hole in the first aid section (I dont have one in there anyways) that way it can breath a little bit...

Obviously a sealed box would be a lot better for this vehicle I think.
How do the subs sound through the seats? can you hear it almost like normal?

Because those subs are loud as hell almost like your getting punched in the chest when it hits.

I am thinking about just putting one in the back, like I said I was mainy concerned with the vibrations of that battery/tire cover thing.... but if its not that much of a problem then I am good to go.

Also ill probably buy a capacitor that would be helpful

thanks man..

also do you know the sizes of the speakers in the car? 6.5 and 6x8's?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Almost a Member!

you can cut a hole if ya want, I wouldn't really suggest that, me personally don't like too much customization. The sound is still very good and you still get the chest thumping. I would say the difference between the seats down to closed would be the eqevalent to about the same as turning your volume 2 clicks down. So when you turn it, your gains might be set just a little bit higher to compensate for the sound getting trapped in the trunk.

I would try it first without the cutting as I think you will still like it if tuned properely, I don't think a hole the size of the first aid will help that much...unforetunity our cars have trunks and will never sound like a hatchback but with the tuning you'll get very close..

as for the speaker size, not really sure, i have the stock speakers still in, I have them set for very very little bass and full treble, i've had people ask what kind of components i had and they surprised when I say it's stock..

The key is tuning, spend time doing it, and I can almost gaurantee you will not cut the first aid kit. I have my capacitor and amp mounted on the back of the seat and the only thing is on really hot days obviously the amp heats up quicker so just make sure everything is fused and that your usung the right gauge wire...if you have any more question I will try to help as much as I can..

cheers

Brian
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 PM

c230-1998
I was thinking about getting the XX colossus amp what do you think about hifonics?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Almost a Member!

hifonics usually makes good stuff...i would do a google search on that model and read some reviews to see the good and the bad....
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 PM

1997 C200
I think I made up my mind, I am in Europe so my main concern was shipping those subs over here, its expensive...

I think I will just send one sub and get a box here, the biggest I could find was 1.0 cu ft. I dont really have time to build one.....

one still 1300 watts is good...

Yeah I probably won't cut the hole....

I am also probably gonna buy like visionik speakers for the card, there cheap but sound better than stuff and can take a little base...

also at home I have 300W tweeters so those are loud.

Hifonic is good, pretty cheap for the amount of power they send out.

Mike
Old 08-12-2006, 04:40 AM

'06 Honda Element
Deck Lid Speakers

I have a 97 C230, and I just replaced the factory door speakers with JL Audio 6.5s in the front and 4s in the back. There are three speakers in my rear deck and they are all pointed down into the truck (small subs I assume). I'm having a 12" JL w7 installed soon, and we are going to remove the speakers from the deck lid. This will give four pretty good size holes for the bass to travel (one hole had a factory foam piece).
Old 08-13-2006, 07:20 PM

1997 C200
sounds like a good idea, 6.5 and 4's ok ill look into that
you wouldn't happen to know what was in the rear... 6x9?

OK well I installed my radio and it works fine, then I figured out that when I turn the car off there is no power going to the radio so I have to redo the settings and all everything

wouldnt anyone happen to know or have a wiring diagram of whats in the car?

I got a VW harness and the Kenwood harness from crutchfield and did what it said, but I think the wires are different on the car.....

like the constant 12 there is none yet, I was gonna use one of those things that lets you see if theres power in the thing but dont know if I can find one.

thanks

Mike

Last edited by michael4589; 08-14-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 AM

'06 Honda Element
Rear Speakers

I had hoped they were 6x9's myself, but they aren't. They look like 6" woofers, if you can believe it. All the speakers in the car required custom mounting, but I wouldn't even begin to try replacing the ones in the rear deck.
There are two small round speakers on the drivers side, and the passenger side has one small round speaker with a piece of foam in the second hole. Very Weird! Anyway, the new speakers sound great; I just need a little more bass!

I'd recommend a Blaupunkt head unit to any W202 owner; the factory harness fits perfectly on my receiver. I realize that most people in North America prefer Kenwood, Pioneer, etc., but once you get used to the layout, Blaupunkts are terrific!

Good Luck!

Thomas
Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 PM

1997 C200
ok thansk

Yeah I just decided to put my tweeters back in the car, there 300w rms so they overpower all the speakers anyways....

then I am gonna put my subs in and theres my bass so it will be good to go...

as for the headunit, I found out from the car to the harness the wires are different, so I switched the constant 12v with the iginition wire, and now it works great so I am good to go...

as for the holes with foam, I thnk when the time comes I will take the foam out (i got it in 2 spots) so the subs can breath ect...
Old 08-27-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to run my sub without the rear deck speakers and the first-aid kit. I didn't really notice that much of a change - it was always on the "quiet" side.

As for rattles that haven't been mentioned already, the trunk's air vents on the lower half of the passenger side of the rear bumper tend to flap when the bass hits. It's only noticable when you're outside of the car so I never felt it was that big of a deal.