C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Noise has me stumped!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
Question Noise has me stumped!

I have got a noise that sounds like it is coming from the left front wheel of my 1997 C230. The sound is similar to the harmonic whine of out of round rotors / undampened pads. It only occurs at very low speeds (under 10 mph), while the wheels are turned to the left about a third or half way to lock, with or without the brakes being applied, and usually (but not always) after the brakes have been used in traffic. It started right after I had the front brake pads, rotors, shocks, and wheel bearings replaced. I have taken it to both the independent tech who performed the other work and another locally respected independent tech. None of us have been able to locate the problem. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight,

Don
Old 12-30-2006, 02:14 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by Don C230
I have got a noise that sounds like it is coming from the left front wheel of my 1997 C230. The sound is similar to the harmonic whine of out of round rotors / undampened pads. It only occurs at very low speeds (under 10 mph), while the wheels are turned to the left about a third or half way to lock, with or without the brakes being applied, and usually (but not always) after the brakes have been used in traffic. It started right after I had the front brake pads, rotors, shocks, and wheel bearings replaced. I have taken it to both the independent tech who performed the other work and another locally respected independent tech. None of us have been able to locate the problem. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight,

Don
I have the same problem. I have no f-in clue what it is...here is my post asking about it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/169558-humming-sound-wheels-not-bearings.html
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
Noise

OCKlasse,

Very much appreciate the reply and link (was not able to spot anything like issue using searches).

While I do see some significant differences (noise only at low speed with or without brakes applied, and only when turned to the left), it is similar. Thanks to the post by 516mbtek I will also check the rotor backing plate and seriously inspect the tires.

Again, any ideas put me farther along than before!

Don