C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

BMW v Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW v Mercedes

I am torn between buying a W202 c280 and a E36 BMW 328i...

I dont really know a lot about cars but could someone point out the differences between the 2. ie Luxury, features, reliability etc.

Also I notice that are 5 types of C-class : - Esprit, sport, avantgarde, elegance and classic. What are the main differences between them.

Many many thanks!
Old 09-16-2002, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
If you interested i'm selling my 1997 C280. Its hooked up alerady Body Kit 18" chrome wheels also have original 15"AMG , SuperSprint cat back system and its chiped by Upsolute.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:05 PM

1995 C220
well, i believe his questions were differences, in my opinion there isnt much of a difference between mb and bmw, it really has to do with what your style is, i know that sounds dumb but cars should fit your personality and you should make the decision based upon which you like.... thats all my 5 cents is worth
Old 09-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 C280
If I can add my 2 cents.....

Well, Iam a 97 C280 owner. I would think that the BMW is more of a sport ride and handling. The Benz, leans more to luxury.. In my own opinion...
Old 09-17-2002, 01:55 AM

red bicycle
Benz vs. BMW

Hey,

I have a 1996 C220, and my roommate has a 1997 328i 5-speed. Yes, personal preference definately plays a big factor here. Here's my take:

BMW 328i: Fun to drive, especially with the 5-speed. And it's definately fast, but that's because it's a six-cylinder. Looks cool too (better than the new ones in my opinion). It is much smaller inside than the C (not saying the C is big inside). It's also has a much harsher ride, a trade-off for better handling.

C220: I love driving my Mercedes, but it's much different than the BMW. It's far more comfortable, especially on long drives. It's definately not as sporty as the BMW, but it has a much better ride. And the W202 C has a classic style that will look good forever, and is more luxurious inside. Also, everyone seems to have 3-Series.

But either way, girls love them. So it's your preference. So to sum it up:

BMW: A great ride, just more sporty.
Mercedes: A great ride, just more comfortable.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:43 PM

1995 C220
Adding 5 more cents

yea, id have to agree, i have a 1995 c220, and i love it more than anything. it is extremely comfortable, but the only thing i have to add is that the c220 has a little fire in its crotch, it may not be as fast as my friends c32 amg that he has on order, but i think it could hold its own, when you mash it it goes. yes i agree the bmw may look sportier, but is it actually sportier? i would have to say no
Old 09-20-2002, 10:18 PM

SILVER C280 SPORT
i agree as well. i have a 97 c280 which is a 6 cylinder and last yeat i had 325ic which was also a 6cylinder. when u tell people "i drive a bmw" they're like oh thats tight. when u say "i drive a benz" they say "damn....wow!" u see the difference is basically one is luxurious and the other is sproty. the merceds c280 is a lot more roomy. also the way its designed is a lot nicer. and most importantly it drives better. why dont u have the best of both like me and buy the c280 but lower it and beef it up a bit with exhaust system and mega flow intake, which isnt that expensive. benz is the way to go!

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2002, 05:31 AM

w202 C220
Like everyone else has said, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class is a very luxurious car for its price and size. I really don't think the BMW 3-Series 4-door is really worth the price, nor do I find it attractive. If you're looking for a 4-door, go with the Benz. If you're looking for a sporty car, go for the BMW 3-Series coupe. The C-Class was meant to be a 4-door sedan...I think the 3-Series belongs better in a coupe version. I'm actually selling and/or trading in my w202 C230K for a BMW 325Ci (w/ a manual 5-speed tranny) just because I don't like the "settled-down" feel of the C-Class, and need something in a 2-door Coupe version for more of that sporty feel. Just my $.02.

-Faheem
Old 10-10-2002, 02:34 AM

Tesla
Agree on the points between sports and luxury.

I have a 95 C280 and wife drives a 98 323ic. The BMW is definitely a fun car. But on long trips we always take the C280. To me the C class is more comparable to the 5 series.

As far as reliability goes, BMW wins hands down. Wife's car hasn't had any problem until this past monday. Check engine light came on and it was a leaky gastank cap. That's almost 5 years of troublefree service. On the other hand, my C280 has many, and I mean MANY, problems since 95. Everything from electrical to even a gas tank leak. Extended warranty have saved me well over $10K on repairs. I intentionally waited a year after introduction of C class for them to work out the bugs, but still ended up with a lemon.

I have to say I have lost my faith in Mercedes. Don't get me wrong, I love the way benz drives and their looks, but I just don't have the time to deal with all the problems. After I fix the infamous engine wire harness problem, I think I'll probably trade it in for a 5 series.

Stephen
Irvine, Southern California
Old 10-10-2002, 09:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLC300 (prev 99 C43 AMG)
Lest we not forgot that Mercedes has consistently been rated higher in quality and reliability ratings than BMW
Old 10-10-2002, 12:00 PM

Tesla
That might be true in the past. But Mercedes quality has been going down hill since early 90s.

Go read up on consumer reports regarding the reliability of C, M, and some E class. There are two class action lawsuits against Mercedes for M class that I am aware of. I wouldn't be suprised if C class follows the same suit...

I frequent Fletcher Jones Motorcars in Newport beach. And that place is constantly packed with people in the service department. Nearby Irvine BMW is never as busy. And the truth is, there are more 3 series on the road than C class. That tells you something about reliability.

I bought my C class under the impression I will drive it for at least 100,000 miles. I pamper my car since I bought it at 15 miles so it was never abused. Now 93,000 miles later with extended warranty expired, I am looking at possibly $2000+ worth of repairs. The service paper I have in the past 7 years is as thick as 2 encyclopedia volumes.

If I get cheated once, their bad. If I get cheated twice, my bad.

Stephen
Irvine, Southern California
Old 10-10-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLC300 (prev 99 C43 AMG)
My family has over 30 years experience with Mercedes-Benz. We would never admit that they were perfect, like most people like to think. They used to be better built, had higher quality materials, and were more reliable than most cars, but I they aren't anymore. The competition has caught up. I agree with you on that point.

-We had an 1988 Mercedes 300TE wagon with 240,000 miles on it. It cost $52,000.00 new and probably cost another $52,000.00 to maintain (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point).

However, you can't say BMW is better just by seeing more BMW's on the road and less at the dealership. The Mercedes C class is number 1 in its segment in Europe, so with more C classes on the road in Europe, does that mean its a better car? Nope. BMW has a reputation for giving great lease deals to get their cars on the road. Also, BMW has its own quality problems....Have you heard about the 7-series nightmare. Besides being ugly, its had a lot of quality problems and dealers can't even give them away. Check out www.autospies.com. I've also heard the X5 has been troublesome.

I looked at buying a used 3 series, but they do not age well in terms of looks and materials. Also, parts are more expensive, I don't know the dealer as well, and from talking to my body repair man, BMW's are much harder and more complicated to fix when in an accident.

Don't get me wrong, I like BMW's, but I really don't see myself buying one. Its much too risky after being with Mercedes sooo long. And even when I did go to the dealer to look at one, they are rude. I experienced 3-series being locked in the showroom while a $250,000 Ferrari at the Ferrari dealership was unlocked. Maybe that's why you don't see too many people at BMW dealerships. -Because they are a--holes.

Yes, my 1995 C280 has had its share of problems. The head gasket has been replaced, as has the wiring harness and cruise control actuator. But overall it has been a good car. By the way, Mercedes tend to develop large problems like the one i listed at the 100k and 150k mark. The problems on my car developed around 100k and it now has 127,500 on it and is sailing smooth. From my experience, you just have to prepare for these things and then its no big deal. The dealer even gave me the parts at cost and paid for half on what broke.

Anyhow, thats my two cents.

P.S. Try getting a 1967 seat spring from another car company, like my dad had to do with his 67 250SL. With Mercedes you are still supported when you have a old car!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Lest we not forgot that Mercedes has consistently been rated higher in quality and reliability ratings than BMW"

With all the known problems with the c280 I don't know how.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:47 PM

96 C220 with Turbo
Of course you could always take the route of no compromise! Turbo the benz. When done properly you'll even be faster in the quarter than the M3.

Luxury & performance :p

Jason