C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Non Start??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
Non Start??

Car will turn over but wont start. Maybe a fuel filter? Let it sit for 10 minutes than it started right up. Maybe higher octane gas ?? Thanks for any ideas 99 C280 Sport
Old 10-10-2008, 06:27 PM

C230K
It would be hard for anyone to diagnose based on the very limited information you gave but I would start first by replacing the crankshaft position sensor. Classic symptom. Do a search on it.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Was

it warmed up and you stopped at a store and had to wait 10-15 minutes and then when you tried it started up?or was it warmed up and stalled out while stopped at a light and you waited 10 minutes and then it started up?
Any check engine light?
per above ,specific symptoms help diagnostics,but if it was warmed up when the symptoms appeared.$56 at
www.autohausaz.com
Crankshaft position sensor.
diy on benzworld.org w210 section diy section also mercedesshop.com resource section diy article cps r/r.

M112 engine even though it is not the 3.2 r/r is pretty much the same procedure. make sure when you order to have your vin number or the production date located in your drivers door pillar.or look at the cps and see how many clips it has so you can order the correct one for your year.
ohlord
be sure to index it to the ecu after replacement.I think I added that procedure to the diy.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM

1999 C280 Sport
I drove the car about 5-10 miles shut it off and went into a store. Came out and puth the smart key in and all it did was turn over NO start. So I walked over to a telephone to call for AAA and when I go back to the car I tried it again and it started. It hasn't done it since but I would hate to be stranded somewhere and be up the creek W/O a paddle. How expensive is a crank sensor and are the a PITA to put in or easy job. Thanks 99MBSport
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Read

above
$56 pretty easy diy if you follow directions.Read the diys on both sites.If you don't replace it ,it will only start to repeat with more frequent failure.When it fails completely,you fail to go completely.

you have time.So it's not like you need to air ship it in,just order the part and replace it next weekend or the week after when you have an hour to spare,make sure you use your hood release tab if your car is equipped with one like the E series that lets you open the hood to full vertical position.More room to crawl back behind the engine
Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280
Cool same problem

guys I made a thread a bunch of days ago about my 00C280.. I experienced the same thing at the very start before all my other problems started, about the car shutting off at a stop light and then later while driving... and then yesterday it happened again where I stopped at a store and then the car wouldn't start until about 15 minutes passed.. I have already booked an appointment with MB and they're gonna charge me $250 to diagnose the problem.. but further to my other thread, now the check engine light has also come on in my car.. anyway.. after reading this thread I'm thinking I should spend the money to just replace the CPS instead of getting it diagnosed.. what do you guys think..
Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Replace

the sensor for $56 yourself.You could buy an obd scanner for $59 at harborfreight tools that would read the same code they are going to read now that it has gotten so bad that the unusal code has shown up.
replace the cps crank not cam and be up a whole bunch of money,I have never heard of a $250 diagnostics charge for such a simple solution.
But hey that's why they calll them the stealership,and that's why if you don't diy you need to learn how to or find a good indie mb shop.

You should go get the 94169 scanner and read the codes and post them here and pm them to me. or go to autozone or shucks and get them read for free and write down the codes not what the kid tells you what it says is wrong,just the p0*** codes etc. and post them ,then order the crank sensor from autohausaz.com.Sometimes when not starting a light tap on the side of the cps with a screw driver will get it going again sooner than waiting a half hour.

Trending Topics

Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM

C230K
They wanted the same $250 at the Atlanta stealership for a diagnostic. What a rip. That was while the car was still under extended warranty (the MB one, not third party). I told them "not" and they reconsidered. That is what urged me to buy my own Haynes manual, WIS software, code scanner, etc., so that I could fix things myself and/or have a clue what needed to be done before I handed the keys to the service people.

One thing about the CPS is that it often will not throw a code that can be read by an OBD II scanner due to the fact it is an intermittant issue. If you have a lot of miles on your car, you are going to need a CPS sometime soon anyway, so you might replace it and see if it clears up your problem. If it does, go buy yourself a decent OBD II scanner with the money you saved. You will need that sooner or later and it will pay for itself!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 PM

1999 C280 Sport
OK so today the car died in a 8'2" parking Garage. I let it set for 1 1/2 hrs restarted it and drove it to the street. Called AAA and had it towed to my house. Went online and ordered CPS (single clip) and put the car under a cover till it arrives. I see where the old one is and disconnected the wire harness to be sure if it was 2 clips or 1 clip. When this goes back in is there anything special I need to be aware of? I see that the screw is a pita to see so I guess a taped socket should be used. As for setting the CPS is it just a simple push into the hole type or does it need to be measured ?? Thanks for replies
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM

1999 C280 Sport
I replaced the CPS today and all seems well so far. Started right up. I noticed that the old CPS has a discolored look to the end that goes to the flywheel. Had a coating of some sort of white powder like road salt on the part also. Well going to take it for a test run tomorrow and see what happens.......hopefully I'll get back home with the car.