C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Any help on this? New to this site

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/
Any help on this? New to this site

Hello everyone.
My name is Sven Van de Weghe, 24 yo, university graduate, no kids :p, etc.

Since a couple of weeks I am looking around on this superb forum.
Really got into love with MB.

As a kid I always looked up to my fathers rides. Always a Benz. So in one way or another, the only car I really really love is a Benz. I don't want a BMW or an Audi, it just doesn't get that feeling a Benz gives me.

Now, I have been looking around to find my first second handed Benz. It has been a painfull way and I am getting frustrated. My favourite model is the CLK, but here in Belgium it is difficult to find a nice working second handed CLK.

Now my father found a C200 CDI Building year 1998 ELEGANCE. I don't really like this particular model, but it is a Benz. It is completely stock, has 170000 km = 105633.102 miles and the engine and electronic parts are working perfect.

The pricetag is 6000 euros or 8434 USD.

I was wondering if the price for this car is way to much or is it a normal price?

I will need my car for business, so it has to have a business-look, but would like to have some modifications on the car, most of them visual upgrades, but still in the range of a business-look.

Is this possible with this type of car? Is the price to high? I was thinking to try to get it for 4000-4500 euros or 5600 - 6300 USD.

Any tips, help or anything else?

Kind regards
Sven
(newbie)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find that a little too high of a price. I'm thinking you should try and get it for $5000 USD. Maybe even less, but $8000 USD is just far too much. For that much you might as well get a c36 or a c43, the price range is just about the same
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 AM

300E 3.2
Very possible to extensively mod any w202, but if I were you I'd go for the CLK if that is what you really want. Might take some time, but in the long run it would likely save you money over modding the w202 to the point of being happy vs the price of the clk.

As far as what is high/low for pricing, it's going to be a tough call to tell what is fair for the market. Most are going to see that price as high compared to the US market but may or may not be that out of line for Belgium. If you decide to go w202, offer what you think is a fair price, and see what the seller says, never hurts to ask.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 AM

97 C28
Go Check out a c36 w202 tell me what you think and welcome to the site glad to have you..
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 AM

/
Originally Posted by thepinoc
I find that a little too high of a price. I'm thinking you should try and get it for $5000 USD. Maybe even less, but $8000 USD is just far too much. For that much you might as well get a c36 or a c43, the price range is just about the same

thanks in advance for the reply.

I was looking around and that looks more of a good price for this type of car.
Are there any points I can use in the selling debate to get the price around 5000 USD?

Tanks in advance
Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 AM

/
Originally Posted by PhilfromPA
Very possible to extensively mod any w202, but if I were you I'd go for the CLK if that is what you really want. Might take some time, but in the long run it would likely save you money over modding the w202 to the point of being happy vs the price of the clk.

As far as what is high/low for pricing, it's going to be a tough call to tell what is fair for the market. Most are going to see that price as high compared to the US market but may or may not be that out of line for Belgium. If you decide to go w202, offer what you think is a fair price, and see what the seller says, never hurts to ask.
the CLK is my 'dreamcar' and one of the members here on this forum modded his car so beautifull that I felt like 'This car is just so perfect' I like 'modded' cars , but not the extreme ones. I like to see them, but I prefer mine more classy and business.

I have been looking around on automobile sites to get a fair view on the price and it looks like the pricetag is around 5000 USD. Ok this car comes from a garagist, but still the price is to high. The engine will probably be perfect and the electronics but still

thanks for the reply
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 AM

/
Originally Posted by $tallion
Go Check out a c36 w202 tell me what you think and welcome to the site glad to have you..

the biggest 'pain-issue' is the front side of the car. With those lights. It looks 'old' and I don't know how to describe it :p
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by clk-sterre
the biggest 'pain-issue' is the front side of the car. With those lights. It looks 'old' and I don't know how to describe it :p
Shieet son, i say it looks mafia status more than old. The amazing w124 has nearly the same front setup, and looks mad status. The w140 is similar as well. For the w202 all you need to do is update the grille to avantgarde, hit up clear corners or ambers, and that front is no longer "old" looking. I mean, does the front of the car in my siggy look that old? Maybe to some, but i think it looks awesome. :P
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 AM

/
Originally Posted by thepinoc
Shieet son, i say it looks mafia status more than old. The amazing w124 has nearly the same front setup, and looks mad status. The w140 is similar as well. For the w202 all you need to do is update the grille to avantgarde, hit up clear corners or ambers, and that front is no longer "old" looking. I mean, does the front of the car in my siggy look that old? Maybe to some, but i think it looks awesome. :P

no. it doesn't look 'old'
The thing is, in my country (city) you have 3 classes of people. The one who works. the one who doesn't work and the higher class.

Most of the people who doesn't work are riding BMW, Audi and Benz. Upgraded to the max. I really don't get it. they have the nicest cars you can have but they don't work,
Then there is a part of that community of the non workers, who are driving this type of cars. They are most of them, how do I have to say it, the drugdealers and 'fighters'. I just don't want to get associates with this kind of people.

for example. in my street there are 3 guys, doesn't work, living from social insurance of the government, driving SL500, SL350 and E400 Avantgarde CDI.
At the end of my street I can buy A c200 for 500 euros. They are throwing this type of cars around. In the evening if you see this kind of car, you know that if you need any illegal thing, they have it in the car.

This type of car doesn't have any status anymore. It is not a 'highclass' car anymore. If I buy this car (in respect to my fathers help. In some way I don't want to disappoint his effort to find a good working car) I will have already a mark on my head if I go to my clients.
So I will need to have it 'modded' to 'stand out' among this stock ones to get some 'business credit'. The stock version is way to common around here (190 d , c200, c220 etc with this setup (lights etc) that it doesn't give the maturity of a working man.

If my car would be perfect if you look to the engine and electronics, it doesn't matter, because that is not what people see.
So the 'maffia bad ***' look doesn't make me feel 'good'

I can get enough gangsta street credit in the gym. Hope I maked it a bit more clearfull now ... ?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:55 AM

/
ok

It is an C 200 diesel building year 1998

black coolor

now. when I get the car, I will post some pictures of it.

What are the first visual 'mods' that I can do?

cheers
Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
What are the first visual 'mods' that I can do?

cheers
See post # 8
Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 AM

/
Originally Posted by C43AMG
See post # 8
i know about the grille and the corners. but what else can be done.

What kind of bodykit are available and in what pricerange?

Thanks upfront
Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i know about the grille and the corners. but what else can be done.

What kind of bodykit are available and in what pricerange?

Thanks upfront
Reiger for the body kit.I would look at wheels after that and if the wheels show off the calipers, get them powdercoated and if that's too much $ , look into caliper paint kits.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 AM

/
Reiger for the body kit.I would look at wheels after that and if the wheels show off the calipers, get them powdercoated and if that's too much $ , look into caliper paint kits.

thanks for the reply.

any links for different bodykits?

It is that I don't want to go bombastic with it. still needs to look classic and be able to go to clients with it..
Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 AM

/
thanks for the reply.

It is that I don't want to go bombastic with it. still needs to look classic and be able to go to clients with it..

edit . and for the avantgarde grille, what specific number is needed or it that the same? You have like one for E, C, W210, W203,...

I am a complete supernoob in this things if you havent noticed
Old 06-13-2009, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the reply.

I would Google "Reiger bodykits" and look for suppliers OR pick-up a copy of the Mercedes Enthusiast magazine ( http://www.mercedesenthusiast.co.uk/ )and look at the ads in there
Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 AM

/
I would Google "Reiger bodykits" and look for suppliers OR pick-up a copy of the Mercedes Enthusiast magazine ( http://www.mercedesenthusiast.co.uk/ )and look at the ads in there
already been searching for kits through google. For Brabus I dont find anything. Lorinser neither. Wald I did, Reiger doesnt appeal to me ..

will search some more