C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Help car wont start!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help car wont start!

Hey guys...newbie here

so the other week i had to start using my slide out key to unlock/lock my 1998 c230 and it was working just find until the other day i went to unlock it...and it did unlock however when i opened the door the alarm went off. ok no big deal i thought...so i closed the door...and re-unlocked the car manually (with the key in the door) so that the alarm would turn off...when it did i tried to start the car and the key wouldnt turn.

i already changed the batteries in the remote, checked if the infrared signal is transmitting with my cell phone camera and it is...the red LED light in my remote also lights up. however it just wont unlock or lock or open my trunk. the key will not even turn to a/c..i yanked the steering weel to the side to c if it was just locked....it is in park as well (cuz i kno that if u leave it in drive it wont start)

to make matters worse...its my only key and im in a small college town that has never heard of the make mercedes benz and has no dealer. the closest one is 80 miles away and to tow my car to that dealer is gonna cost a lot of money.

any ideas/fixes for this?? i just need to start my car and drive it to a dealer... if i understand correctly its the immobilizer that is still activated on my car because of the fact that i didnt use the keyless entry to unlock the car. and that i need a new key, but is there any way to deactivate that immobilizer if thats the issue?

thanx guys
Old 10-24-2010, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Batteries in the remote

will open the doors if the car battery is charged.THe batteries in the remote are not needed for the ignition if you have the keyless infrared ignition.
So start off by charging the main battery overnight 10amp charger key out of ignition use the charging post under the hood.
Battery low/ dead will cause issues with remote door opening and turning the key in the ignition
MB usa roadside will also come free to you and install a battery at cost no labor if you discover the battery is dead.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woops i forgot to mention that i did in fact have someone come out and check the batter to c if it was dead or needed to b charged...and they said it was perfectly fine.